Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Jan 31, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #1,426 of 5,176
I think I like my HD800 coming out of the M-Stage (OP627AP biased into Class A) better than from the WA2. The sound feels more crisp and slightly fuller. Interestingly, this is the exact opposite impression I get from my T1 and those amps. The T1 is better from the WA2. Is this crazy that I prefer the sound from a $280 amp over a $1050 one with my HD800? I mean, go budget amps!!

Regardless, I think I am through plugging and unplugging headphones from my amps. For now, I am going to leave the HD800 plugged into the Matrix and my T1 plugged into the Woo. I'll use my K701/HD580 with my portable amps (Audinst Mx-1 & iBasso D4). Now I'm gonna need an amp for the LCD-2 I have on order but I think I have at least month to plan for that.

Jan 31, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #1,427 of 5,176

Quote:
I think I like my HD800 coming out of the M-Stage (OP627AP biased into Class A) better than from the WA2. The sound feels more crisp and slightly fuller. Interestingly, this is the exact opposite impression I get from my T1 and those amps. The T1 is better from the WA2. Is this crazy that I prefer the sound from a $280 amp over a $1050 one with my HD800? I mean, go budget amps!!

Regardless, I think I am through plugging and unplugging headphones from my amps. For now, I am going to leave the HD800 plugged into the Matrix and my T1 plugged into the Woo. I'll use my K701/HD580 with my portable amps (Audinst Mx-1 & iBasso D4). Now I'm gonna need an amp for the LCD-2 I have on order but I think I have at least month to plan for that.

Your HD800 experience fits with mine; M-Stage seems made for it. Many people also agree that the T1 pairs best with tubes. You are not crazy.

From what I hear the M-Stage will do a respectable job with the LCD-2 so it might hold you over for a while. When I eventually get an LCD-2 I'm going for a Violectric V200 to see if the buzz about that is true.

Feb 2, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #1,430 of 5,176
Hey thanks Adam. I had previously tried Farnell and Digikey but both were out of stock. I ordered from Mouser. The OPA627AP was $21.xx and the shipping from the UK estimated at about $7 USPS Priority (that seemes low though). The whole reason I didn't want to order from CFG is because there is plenty of speculation that he is selling fakes-and he hasn't really said otherwise in this thread that I have seen.

Also, I was wondering has anyone used the LCD-2 with the m-stage to great effect? Also, what opamps seem to pair the best with it?

-Daniel

Feb 2, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #1,431 of 5,176
Daniel,

Why did you order from the UK site? I see the US site has them for $22.05. Don't know what shipping would be...maybe your shipping costs were low because the UK site automatically placed your order through their US distribution? Then again, it's not like opamps weigh a ton...

Regards,
Adam

Feb 2, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #1,432 of 5,176
Well I just went to Mouser dot com. I think it did reroute it to the US site when I placed the order because it asked me about changing my Country on the address, and changed the euros to USD as well. This would also explain the $7, which I'm sure wouldn't be possible if they were shipping from the UK.

-Daniel

Feb 4, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #1,434 of 5,176
Hey thanks Adam. I had previously tried Farnell and Digikey but both were out of stock. I ordered from Mouser. The OPA627AP was $21.xx and the shipping from the UK estimated at about $7 USPS Priority (that seemes low though). The whole reason I didn't want to order from CFG is because there is plenty of speculation that he is selling fakes-and he hasn't really said otherwise in this thread that I have seen.

Also, I was wondering has anyone used the LCD-2 with the m-stage to great effect? Also, what opamps seem to pair the best with it?

-Daniel

I ordered from coolfungadget / Tam's Audio, and I asked him about the opamp being fake, rejected by BB or what. His answer to me was that they are used, but legit opamps.

Feb 4, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #1,436 of 5,176

Thanks Lars. I just didn't want to take the chance that his chips are inferior sounding though, which has been echoed by a few posters here.

Is CFG down for the Chinese festival right now? I ordere an m-stage a few days ago and haven't heard anything whatsoever.

Quote:
Quote:

-Daniel

I ordered from coolfungadget / Tam's Audio, and I asked him about the opamp being fake, rejected by BB or what. His answer to me was that they are used, but legit opamps.

Feb 5, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #1,437 of 5,176

Quote:

-Daniel

The pairing is OK but not crisp enough. The M-Stage is a bit to the dark-side and so with the LCD2, the sound can come out slightly muddy and congested. Power-wise, there is no problem though. 

I even prefer the M-Stage over the Concerto for LCD2. I find the latter too thin sounding. 

Feb 5, 2011 at 3:47 AM Post #1,438 of 5,176
K3CT:

What opamps are you using? Is it Class A biased? Hopefully the op627AP can help open up the LCD-s and perhaps brighten them up. I'm just getting the m-stage as a tweener amp until some sort of consensus is formed regarding the best amps for it. Thanks.

-Daniel 

Feb 5, 2011 at 7:31 AM Post #1,439 of 5,176
I tested it with 3 op-amps: a class A-biased OPA2134, OPA1642 and ADA4627-1. The last one is my favorite in this bunch for the LCD2 as its signature is towards the bright side and has a good PRaT and while its soundstage is not as wide as the OPA627, it's pretty well defined. I didn't have the class-A biased OPA627 at hand but it seems to be a close match with the 4627-1 and I might even slightly prefer the former. I can't say for sure though as I couldn't do an A/B comparison. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back