Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Feb 6, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #1,441 of 5,176
Thanks K3cT. I'm hoping the m-tage will satisfy me with the Audeze's for a few couple of months til I buy a Phoenix.

Ninjikiran: Please give comparisons if you get the C-2.1, as that's the amp I've always wanted to compare against the m-stage, but I can't really find info on here. The main C-2 thread is pretty much only impressions of the ACSS/Dac19 connection unfortunately. I'm currently waiting for my LCD-2s and am ultimately saving up for a Phoenix to stop this damn upgrade/sidegrade-itis lol.

-Daniel

Feb 8, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #1,443 of 5,176
Hey everyone,

I've been trying to read through this whole thread (at least I've gone through every page, though I can't remember most of the more technical stuff) while doing my little headphone shootout.
Having finally decided on my headphones (for now... hopefully I'm done!) I'm now looking into this "class-a" thing everyone seems to be talking about now.

As far as I can tell, swapping an opamp would change the sound a bit, and biasing it into class-a would change it a bit more. My problem comes with trying to go through everyone's impressions, as they all seem to conflict with each other.
I'm thinking perhaps it's best to pick up a few of these and try them out, but I'm not sure where to start.

First off, I would need some sort of an adapter (since I don't know how to solder, and do not have any of the tools, it seems it'd be easiest to got he CFG route.)
I assume I would need one of these for a single channel: http://coolfungadget.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=39_46&product_id=83
or one of these for dual channel: http://coolfungadget.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=39_46&product_id=77

I'm not sure which one to get, or if I should just get both, since again, I'm not sure what opamps I want/need.

So I'd like to ask for an opamp recommendation. Ideally I'd like to have one that can be ordered through mouser or something (I need a switchcraft mini plug or similar as well.)
My headphones are in my sig - I swap between them pretty regularly.
Ideally, I'd like something to squeeze some more detail out of them, probably somewhere in the mids and highs. I am happy with the amount of bass these headphones have, so I'm not looking to add any more (excessive bass gives me headaches; especially flabby, boomy bass; as an example, the Senn PX-100 gives me a headache after a few minutes.) If anything, perhaps tightening up the bass a bit, but really I'd like to bring out the details in the highs/mids and vocals more. I'd like to avoid Grado SR-225 level brightness though. Otherwise, instrument separation, speedy attack/response, etc are also desired.
I see the LM426(?) and OPA627(?) thrown around a lot, but I'm not sure if these would be recommended for me, or if there might be any better matches.

Thanks!

Feb 8, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #1,444 of 5,176
M-Stage takes dual channel opamps.  You miss nothing special by skipping out on LM4562 (a.k.a. LME49710).  Grab OPA627 to start off with if you wish.  I would recommend OPA1611 on a 2x1 adapter if you can solder or can find someone to solder it for you.  It is my opamp of choice with my SR325.  ADA4627-1A (not the B version, you will probably find it too bright) would be another superb choice.  Very hifi and a little lively, it will give you the improvement in bass and increased detail you are looking for without a doubt.

Feb 8, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #1,447 of 5,176
Thanks! I'm still a noob so i'm embarrassed to ask ... which voltage am i supposed to choose? This is gonna be for my K701s
confused_face_2.gif

Feb 8, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #1,449 of 5,176

Quote:
M-Stage takes dual channel opamps.  You miss nothing special by skipping out on LM4562 (a.k.a. LME49710).  Grab OPA627 to start off with if you wish.  I would recommend OPA1611 on a 2x1 adapter if you can solder or can find someone to solder it for you.  It is my opamp of choice with my SR325.  ADA4627-1A (not the B version, you will probably find it too bright) would be another superb choice.  Very hifi and a little lively, it will give you the improvement in bass and increased detail you are looking for without a doubt.

Thanks for the response!

I'm looking through those suggestions now to try and get a feel for them.
I looked them up briefly through mouser.com but unfortunately it seems they don't have any of the ADA4627. (Digikey has these, but they don't have any switchcraft mini plugs that I need.)
OPA627 also seems very expensive for some reason. There are also tons and tons of results, and while I can filter out the "wholesale" results pretty easily, I have no idea what any of the other results are, or why there are 5 versions of each opamp. The site might as well be in Greek at this point. :frowning2:

As far as the 2x1 adapter goes, is that the adapter i linked for "single" opamps, or is it something different?
Considering I have no experience with soldering, I want to make this as simple as possible (I don't want to ruin the M-stage accidentally.) I figured if I could decide on some opamps, I could just order one of CFG's adapters and simply plug n' play; assuming all the opamps were of the same type at least. If I end up with multiple types (how do you tell anyway?) I'll have to get both though, I'd assume.

My friend actually has a couple LM4562's, so I may give that a whirl as well, since it'd be the easiest.
Otherwise, I'll put the OPA627 and OPA1611 on my list. Perhaps ADA4627 as well, if I can figure out a plan to order from 2 places.

Are there any other suggestions? I also see an OPA637 mentioned; is this better than the 627, or are these just arbitrary numbers?
Again, these will all hopefully be class-a modded via CFG's adapters.

Also, the Shure SRH-840 and Audio Technica ATH-W1000X are both fairly easy to drive, while the Senn HD-600's require about 10 more gain to reach similar volume levels.
This basically means I'm running the M-stage at the 0 gain setting (I could switch it back to 10, but I'd lose some range on the volume pot) and I'm not sure if this would affect the choice of opamps, since I also recall reading some lengthy posts about opamps requiring specific voltages and gain and such.

Feb 9, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #1,450 of 5,176

Quote:
Are there any other suggestions? I also see an OPA637 mentioned; is this better than the 627, or are these just arbitrary numbers?

OPA637 is different part and needs high gain (<5 or +14dB) or other compensating circuits to work. It supposedly sounds better than OPA627, but I have never tried it.

Quote:
Also, the Shure SRH-840 and Audio Technica ATH-W1000X are both fairly easy to drive, while the Senn HD-600's require about 10 more gain to reach similar volume levels.
This basically means I'm running the M-stage at the 0 gain setting (I could switch it back to 10, but I'd lose some range on the volume pot) and I'm not sure if this would affect the choice of opamps, since I also recall reading some lengthy posts about opamps requiring specific voltages and gain and such.

Run at +10db gain or more just to ensure whatever op-amps you try won't oscillate. You do lose range on the volume pot, but as long as you don't get tracking error between left / right channels, which usually happens at the first few degrees of rotation, you should be fine. I ran +10 with Grados and it wasn't a problem (had knob at 11-12 o'clock which is far away from where tracking errors typically occur.)

Feb 9, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #1,451 of 5,176

Quote:
Thanks for the response!

I'm looking through those suggestions now to try and get a feel for them.
I looked them up briefly through mouser.com but unfortunately it seems they don't have any of the ADA4627. (Digikey has these, but they don't have any switchcraft mini plugs that I need.)
OPA627 also seems very expensive for some reason. There are also tons and tons of results, and while I can filter out the "wholesale" results pretty easily, I have no idea what any of the other results are, or why there are 5 versions of each opamp. The site might as well be in Greek at this point. :frowning2:

As far as the 2x1 adapter goes, is that the adapter i linked for "single" opamps, or is it something different?
Considering I have no experience with soldering, I want to make this as simple as possible (I don't want to ruin the M-stage accidentally.) I figured if I could decide on some opamps, I could just order one of CFG's adapters and simply plug n' play; assuming all the opamps were of the same type at least. If I end up with multiple types (how do you tell anyway?) I'll have to get both though, I'd assume.

My friend actually has a couple LM4562's, so I may give that a whirl as well, since it'd be the easiest.
Otherwise, I'll put the OPA627 and OPA1611 on my list. Perhaps ADA4627 as well, if I can figure out a plan to order from 2 places.

Again, these will all hopefully be class-a modded via CFG's adapters.

Yes, the adapter you linked is for single opamps, but those opamps must be DIP8.  Also, it comes with a resistors attached and I don't know if 3.9Kohms will be compatible with all opamps.  The opamps I recommended to you only come in SOIC8, which is a smaller form that needs SOIC-to-DIP adapters.  I use these for SOIC opamps that I intend to use in the M-Stage or my DAC.

You could ask in this thread for more suggestions on opamps and related stuff. 

Gain of 0 is okay, but it sounds better in the other gain settings.  Some opamps will be more stable at higher gains like OPA637 as purrin said.  Also, whatever opamps you decide to try out, they must be able to take +/- 15V (or 30V total across power input pins) or else the M-Stage will fry them.
I always leave my amp at 10 gain.  The 0 gain setting really should have been 2 gain or something.

Feb 9, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #1,454 of 5,176

He's emailed me back twice in the past five days, and shipped my m-stage out yesterday. However, I can't figure out which shipper he is using, because the tracking # he provided works with NOBODY. Probably takes a day or two to update I suppose.

-Daniel

Quote:
Has anyone been able to get a hold of Jeffrey Tam in a while? I am trying to ask him a question about the M-stage, and I can't seem to get a hold of him by email.

Feb 9, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #1,455 of 5,176
Would you mind telling me what email address he is using? You can PM me if you want.

Thanks
Reed

Quote:
He's emailed me back twice in the past five days, and shipped my m-stage out yesterday. However, I can't figure out which shipper he is using, because the tracking # he provided works with NOBODY. Probably takes a day or two to update I suppose.

-Daniel

Quote:
Has anyone been able to get a hold of Jeffrey Tam in a while? I am trying to ask him a question about the M-stage, and I can't seem to get a hold of him by email.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back