Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Sep 12, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #871 of 5,176
This type of problem can also happen with software driver issues - I recently updated drivers on a motherboard sound chip and suddenly had distortion and other problems - reverted to older drivers and the problem went away....

Was the soundcard previously working ok? 
Was there a software update?
Driver issues can also be caused by some sort of software interference from something else that was installed... so check whether you installed or updated something else and that was when the problem started.

Sep 12, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #872 of 5,176
Modded M-stage version1 and Schiit Asgard comparison, [YMMV]:
Using a Marantz CD5001 and Marantz CD5003 cd players, Audioquest Black Mamba and Signal Cable Silver Resolution interconnects, AKG K702 and Sennheiser HD600 headphones, I have extensively compared the Schiit Asgard and my modified Matrix M-stage V1 with Class A biased BB OPA627AU op amps.
They are both outstanding sounding amps, and choosing one over the other is very difficult indeed!
The Asgard has a warmer and smoother overall sound, very slightly less treble extension, and slightly less dynamic punch than the modded M-stage. It has a softer overall midrange, but at the same time the mids seem to be just slightly more detailed, and slightly fuller than on the M-stage. The Asgard also sounds much better after it has heated up completely. When its cold it sounds sort of flat and dull, IMHO.
The modded M-stage sounds slightly more lively, slightly punchier, and has slightly more bass punch than the Asgard.
The M-stage also has a very slight edginess to certain vocals that the Asgard does not exhibit. The M-stage can be very slightly more fatiguing than the Asgard on some material.
The soundstage is extremely close on both units. The Asgard may have just a touch more soundstage width than the M-stage, but its close. The M-stage has slightly more "air" in the soundstage than the Asgard, but again, its very close.
The Asgard runs much hotter than the M-stage, even though my M-stage is biased into class A with two 3.3K resistors.
The M-stage sounds slightly better with the K702's, and the Asgard sounds alittle better with the HD600's, but both headphones sound great with both of the amps, to be honest.
The M-stage drives my Beyerdynamic DT880/600 ohm version alittle louder and with slightly more authority than the Asgard, and about the same or maybe alittle less than the Headroom.
The DT880/600 probably sounds alittle better through the M-stage than through the Asgard, to be honest.
Both of the amps slightly surpass the sonics of my Headroom Micro Amp.
The Headroom does have the most output power, believe it or not!
The Headroom is a very powerful, punchy little amp that sounds great with all of my headphones, but it can sound slightly more edgy, more forward in the upper mids, amd slightly more closed in than either the Asgard or the M-stage. Believe it or not, my Beyerdynamic DT880/2003, and Beyerdynamic DT880/600 ohms actually have a slightly better synergy with the Headroom than either of the other two amps, for some strange reason!
The M-stage and the Asgard have a slightly smoother and more natural midrange, a wider soundstage with a little more "air" than the Headroom. The bass on the Headroom is close to the Asgard, and the M-stage may have slightly more bass punch than either one of them.
To be completely honest, I do not really have a preference for either amp right now.
This has been a very interesting comparison to say the least!

Sep 12, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #873 of 5,176
Nice write up. Which version do you have of the Matrix. I kinda like the sound of mine without tuning it, I have the original and I love it. I find it dynamic,powerful and has great detail and a very good soundstage but I am using it mostly with my D7000. But glad someone finally did a side by side to show how good this Matrix really is hell Project 86 has the 3K luxman he put it up against. I am still impressed with the amp. Thanks for the input

Sep 12, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #874 of 5,176
Hi Frank,

Thanks alot for the kind words. I appreciate it.
My version is the 1st version. It does sound really great stock as well. My problem is that I am always wanting to experiment.
I just ordered a HeadAmp GS-1 headphone amp, and I am curious on how it will compare to the Matrix as well. I used to own one, but it has been so long ago, that I forgot how it sounded!
I was also using a Marantz SA8001 as a source with it, but now I am using the Marantz CD5001 and CD5003, which are a step down in overall sound quality compared to the 8001, IMHO.
I sure do regret selling the SA8001 that I used to have. It had about the best overall audio reproduction that I have ever heard in a consumer cd/sacd player.
I will edit the post above and include that it was the Matrix M-stage V1.

Sep 12, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #875 of 5,176
V2 is said to sound tad better, personally i don't really agree with your op-amp choice but good review none the less and thanks for your input. Interested in seeing how the Stage stacks up to a $900 amp, looking forward to your report, cheers.

Sep 13, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #876 of 5,176
Thanks Kuze,

Yeah, I am looking forward to comparing the GS-1 to the M-stage as well, but it may be quite a while before the GS-1 arrives at my door.
Yeah, I was kind of disappointed in the sound of the BB OPA 627AU's as well, that is until I biased them into class A using the 3.3K resistors. This made a BIG difference, IMHO.
I may also try the stock BB OPA 2134 biased into class A as well, out of curiosity.
Another thing: I have never cared much for the AKG K7xx sound until now. I have owned 2 pairs of the K701's in the past and sold both of them cause I simply could not get the upper midrange brightness, and the lack of integration to tame, nomatter how many hours I put on them, or what amp I tried with them.
I recently bought a new pair of AKG K702's from B&H Photo and have about 300 hours break-in on them.
Wow, I really like the way these sound with both the Matrix M-stage and to a slightly lesser extent on the Asgard!
I think they really sound extremely pleasing with these amps, and I can easily live with them now.
The 702's sound fairly good on the Headroom, but can get a little too bright and edgy with it.
I also like the earpads and the overall look better than the K701.
It may be my imagination, but these honestly sound smoother and more integrated than I remember the 701's sounding!
The K702's and the HD600's are now truly my favorite two headphones out of all the ones that I own.

Sep 13, 2010 at 2:16 AM Post #877 of 5,176
Lanny, great comparison.  Your impressions comparing to the Headroom stuff is very similar to mine.  I had a HR Micro Portable and Balanced Home Rig from them not too long ago.  Edgy, forward, powerful.  The closed-in aspect of the HR amps disappears and edginess become more evident as you go up the line, but sound signature is the same.  The M-Stage is pretty smooth in comparison.  Control and impact were better on the HR Balanced, but that's running balanced.

You can make the M-Stage sound smoother, faster, and have a blacker background if you are willing to perform some minor surgery. Try soldering small film bypass caps (as big as you can fit - I only had WIMA 0.1u/100V on hand) across the four 470uF electrolytic caps feeding power to the output transistors.  You don't need to (nor want to) do this on the caps feeding the op-amp because they are already bypassed with 22nf caps.  I'll post a photo once I get back from my business trip.

With all this talk about op-amps, if you are sure your source has no DC offset, remove the caps and replace with wire. This makes a significant difference in terms of naturalness, clarity, and resolution.

Sep 13, 2010 at 6:11 AM Post #880 of 5,176
Thanks for the kind words, guys.
Thanks purrin for all of your help and ideas with mods to the M-stage.
Swapping op amps is truly a piece of cake with this amp, and its fun.
I can't wait to compare the GS-1 and the modded Matrix M-stage either!

Sep 13, 2010 at 6:36 AM Post #881 of 5,176

Quote:
Hi Frank,

Thanks alot for the kind words. I appreciate it.
My version is the 1st version. It does sound really great stock as well. My problem is that I am always wanting to experiment.
I just ordered a HeadAmp GS-1 headphone amp, and I am curious on how it will compare to the Matrix as well. I used to own one, but it has been so long ago, that I forgot how it sounded!
I was also using a Marantz SA8001 as a source with it, but now I am using the Marantz CD5001 and CD5003, which are a step down in overall sound quality compared to the 8001, IMHO.
I sure do regret selling the SA8001 that I used to have. It had about the best overall audio reproduction that I have ever heard in a consumer cd/sacd player.
I will edit the post above and include that it was the Matrix M-stage V1.

Marantz makes great players and never heard the 8001 but did hear the 8003 and probably will listen to the 8004 but my DV6001 does so well it is sufficient. The GS1 I have not heard. It will be interesting to see how the Matrix will do when I get the LCD2 planar. Thanks for the update and it still reassuring that my opinion of the original is shared. Look forward to GS1 comparison.

Sep 13, 2010 at 11:19 AM Post #882 of 5,176
Quote:
kuze how can u tell which version u got?

V1                                                                                                                                                                                      V2

Coolfungadget only sells V2 "second edition".

Sep 13, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #883 of 5,176

Quote:
This type of problem can also happen with software driver issues - I recently updated drivers on a motherboard sound chip and suddenly had distortion and other problems - reverted to older drivers and the problem went away....

Was the soundcard previously working ok? 
Was there a software update?
Driver issues can also be caused by some sort of software interference from something else that was installed... so check whether you installed or updated something else and that was when the problem started.

Thank you for the replys, sorry about putting my issues here, I thought it would be the best place to ask about the amp.

The issue is only present when the amp is in, without the amp I can adjust the volume controls perfectly fine and can reach max volume without distortion. Its only when the amp is in it becomes a issue.

As for the sound card the old one had the modded drivers (since creatives are rubbish) and the new card Essence STX both tried official and modded with the same result. I'm pretty sure its the amp at the core of the issue.

Sep 14, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #884 of 5,176

Quote:
I really don't suggest bypassing with small films as it has the tendency to smear the treble.

Suggestions?
I only have MKP4's and MKS2/MKS4's myself.

Also, would bypassing the input caps be good?

Sep 14, 2010 at 4:17 AM Post #885 of 5,176
Assuming that it is indeed the amp

Likely cause of problem is overdriving - ie your Card output volume is set too high, resulting in a voltage higher than the amps maximum input.

Once the amp is in the circuit, your computer card volume setting should be much much lower, and you should be using the amps volume knob to control loudness....

Technically you should be set up so a 0db digital signal (ie maximum volume) should output at 2 Volts signal level

If your sound card has a substantially higher maximum output (many do) then you need to adjust using the software volume slider to control that.

If 40-50% causes distortion, try using 30-35% on your software volume, and then using the amps volume knob (and/or gain switches) to adjust from there.

The trick is to make sure you don't clip/overdrive at any stage of the signal....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back