Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Jul 25, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #602 of 5,176
Jul 25, 2010 at 3:06 AM Post #604 of 5,176
So to get the good soundstage and transparent sound with the m-stage, what do you set the windows speaker config to? 2.1, 5.1, 7.1, or headphone?

Also, does anyone have experience with best Creative Control Panel settings for x-fi cards that go well with the m-stage?

Jul 28, 2010 at 11:24 AM Post #607 of 5,176

Quote:
So to get the good soundstage and transparent sound with the m-stage, what do you set the windows speaker config to? 2.1, 5.1, 7.1, or headphone?

Also, does anyone have experience with best Creative Control Panel settings for x-fi cards that go well with the m-stage?

The transparrent sound is passive it just means that the amp doesn't alter (colour)  the sound coming from your sorce so its on my default.  The sound stage is not 2.1 vs 5.1 its the presentation of the audio . Im not the best to describe this so look up soundstage in one of the audiophile glossarys and you will get the idea.

Set-up wise for music you would set the config to input and output 2 channel, for other x-fi enchancements\ settings I'd start with all DSP and optimisations off and work up see what sounds better to your ears.

Jul 28, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #608 of 5,176
Sold some NOS Genalex KT-66 tubes for a profit.......part of the proceeds are going towards new AKG K702s and Matrix M-stage Matrix amp.  
L3000.gif

Jul 28, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #609 of 5,176

Quote:
Yes, it already sound excellent when I hear it now. But it will always be great if it can improve further
dt880smile.png

Replace opamp with something like BB OPA2107 or OPA627 x 2 on browndogs.  The stock OPA2134 is pretty good, but there are better. I'm using OPA2107 right now. I think I got them for $12 each. Bass is better defined and sound is more clear. The stock OPA2134 sound like they got a bit of haze to them from the midrange and up. Also, I feel the OPA2134 does have a tiny bit of a midbass hump though, so many will still prefer it.

Jul 28, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #610 of 5,176

Quote:
Sold some NOS Genalex KT-66 tubes for a profit.......part of the proceeds are going towards new AKG K702s and Matrix M-stage Matrix amp.  
L3000.gif

I think you'll like/love the combo, I do. I enjoy it so much that I feel no (ok, maybe just a little
biggrin.gif
) need to upgrade either my cans or amp or try something different. Especially my amp.

Quote:
Replace opamp with something like BB OPA2107 or OPA627 x 2 on browndogs.  The stock OPA2134 is pretty good, but there are better. I'm using OPA2107 right now. I think I got them for $12 each. Bass is better defined and sound is more clear. The stock OPA2134 sound like they got a bit of haze to them from the midrange and up. Also, I feel the OPA2134 does have a tiny bit of a midbass hump though, so many will still prefer it.

Haha! I told you some opamp rolling may be of benefit! 
biggrin.gif

That 2107 is sounding good (bass is better defined? is that even possible?!); where did you get them from?

Jul 28, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #611 of 5,176
Interesting about opamps being better. The Matrix sounds sou good. I sold my 701 and Shure 840 and replaced them with the T1 and D7000 and even though I added the Decware CSP-2  I still feel the Matrix is a huge bargain. The T1 sounds great on the Decware but it also sounds so good with the matrix. The D7000 prefers the solid state amp. I do not see myself parting with the matrix. The t1 does really reach its true potential with the tube amp but the Matrix drives it like a champ. 

Jul 28, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #612 of 5,176

Quote:

That 2107 is sounding good (bass is better defined? is that even possible?!); where did you get them from?

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=opa2107

Still available as of 7/28.  Stock tends to be low though, grab them while you can.  Looks the price increased from when I bought mine. As far as bass being even more defined - yes it's possible. I never felt the OPA2132 had the last word in bass definition, partly because of its slight bass "tubbyness" for lack of a better term. More noticeable is the transparency and delicateness in the highs. Be sure to burn in the opamps. My initial poor assessment of the OPA2107 was based on a new chip (and brand new M-Stage). I slapped a well burned in OPA2107 and the results were dramatically different.

Quote:
Interesting about opamps being better. The Matrix sounds sou good. I sold my 701 and Shure 840 and replaced them with the T1 and D7000 and even though I added the Decware CSP-2  I still feel the Matrix is a huge bargain. The T1 sounds great on the Decware but it also sounds so good with the matrix. The D7000 prefers the solid state amp. I do not see myself parting with the matrix. The t1 does really reach its true potential with the tube amp but the Matrix drives it like a champ. 

Same predicament with my Melos and PS1000. Though overall, I prefer the Melos, I like to go back and forth and certainly appreciate the good solid state presentation of the Matrix M-Stage. Agreed that the Denons do better with solid state.

Don't get me wrong, I like the OPA2134 / OPA2132 and think it's a great opamp; but there is a reason the OPA2107 costs about five times more (~$15), and the OPA627 even more. The differences are subtle though and the law of diminishing returns still applies.

Jul 28, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #613 of 5,176
I haven't taken mine totally apart yet, but anyone have schematics on it? I'm thinking of doing some mods. I assume that there are input caps that can removed (assuming your source has minimal DC offset. Maybe put in fast soft recovery rectifier diodes? (Don't know what parts are currently used in it)

Jul 29, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #614 of 5,176

Quote:
I haven't taken mine totally apart yet, but anyone have schematics on it? I'm thinking of doing some mods. I assume that there are input caps that can removed (assuming your source has minimal DC offset. Maybe put in fast soft recovery rectifier diodes? (Don't know what parts are currently used in it)

I have the schematics of the original Lehmann in my "Lovely Cube" thread in my sig. If your going to remove the input caps, you will need to either jumper them or scratch out the copper track and run the inputs directly to the pot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back