Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Jun 24, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #482 of 5,176

Quote:
It would be cool to see a DAC matching the M-Stage.

I am in total agreement with that
smile_phones.gif

Jun 24, 2010 at 5:58 AM Post #483 of 5,176

Quote:
At first I didn't like them but after some burn in they have grown on me and they are getting more head time. I can see why so many people like them. I ordered the Shure 750 DJ's to see if I like that sound better for hip-hop, etc. Whichever one I choose the other will be going up for sale here.

Cool, thanks. I don't need a ton of bass (hence why I love the 702's) and would mostly be listening to rock/metal with them.

Quote:
Forgot to ask when you say a week I assume that is the time that it arrives and not when it actually ships.

I'm sorry! I meant that it will be at your door in about a week after payment!
L3000.gif

Quote:
Scientifically - no one should be able to hear any differences between matrixes and BCLs.  For 300 bucks, you get what you receive, be thankful and get on with enjoying the music.  A BCL aint gonna sound 3 times this matrix, I don't care what anybody says.  If I had my way again - my entire chain would be made of chinese products - except the can - actually, the alloy chassis D7000 is Chinese.

No one should be able to hear the difference between any amps of any price scientifically, but I sure can.

I'm happy to buy cheaper asian gear as well, forget paying crazy markup (well all this stuff is way marked up but some is more reasonable) for "quality" gear made in the us or canada or the uk. Quality gear can and is made everywhere. I think the DAC Magic is made in china, as well as my azur 640a v2 integrated amp. My Usher speakers are and they are great!

Quote:
Yup, I read that review a few days ago. I was thinking of the DACMagic, but I'll wait to see what Matrix does. I'm not too keen on the Mini-i cos' I don't exactly want a dac/amp together, seeing that I prefer a standalone unit. But yes, I agree about upgrading, so for me, this will be the last step in the process more or less. I just need to make sure I get a decent dac unit :)

Well I didn't just mean the Mini, but also other DACs on there. My DAC Magic is my first DAC and I've had it since about when they came out (I don't know, 3 years ago?) and have had no desire to upgrade or try anything else. I have with other gear (headphone amps of course, cans, and went from receivers to my azur integrated), but not it.

Jun 24, 2010 at 10:03 AM Post #484 of 5,176
So is it normal to hear nothing from coolfungadget for two days after payment has cleared? Does he supply tracking numbers?

Jun 24, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #485 of 5,176

Quote:
So is it normal to hear nothing from coolfungadget for two days after payment has cleared? Does he supply tracking numbers?

He should, but I requested the tracking number from him, so just pop him a message. He doesn't reply immediately, but he will usually get back to you within 24hours from my own dealing with him.

Jun 24, 2010 at 12:44 PM Post #488 of 5,176

Quote:
Hold on for two weeks. We will have a new DAC released.

I'm on hold and eagerly anticipating the DAC, I might just order one and hopefully bring it to the Perth meet :) assuming it arrives before the meet and if I can afford the DAC in hope that it will perform better than the mini-i :)

Jun 24, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #489 of 5,176
I've enjoyed my Matrix M-Stage v1 tremendously so far. I still need to do impressions with it and my DT 880 600ohm, but I can say it drives them fine (using the 20 gain setting).

Also, shipping was almost unbelievably fast for me for anyone still wondering. Ordered Friday received Tuesday? Crazy.

If the v2 does offer improvements, it'll most likely be such a small % that it doesn't bother me that I got the v1 (and I'm kinda anal about things like this). I figure... I saved some money and probably wouldn't notice a small improvement that much. Now if it made a tremendous leap forward (doubtful), I'd be a bit miffed.

Eagerly looking forward to the DAC. Exceptional customer service, quick shipping -- in short, I am one very happy customer
biggrin.gif

Jun 24, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #490 of 5,176
I've sent several emails to coolfungadget this past week and I have been impressed with the speed of his responses! Every inquiry and/or comment has been answered in detail in no later than 24 hours....now that's what I call customer service!!! As a result, the Matrix M is now on my purchase short list. Coolfungadget has been the most responsive and most  easily accessible retailer that I have ever dealt with...KUDOS TO coolfungadget

Jun 24, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #493 of 5,176

Quote:

This is the only criticism I have of cfg; when I ordered I was not told when it was shipped or was given a tracking number. I didn't mention it before, and it isn't really a big deal, but then others I've ordered from have done this.

I'm not impatient, but I do like to know when gear is arriving (especially if I have to be home to sign for it like I did with the M-Stage...this also wasn't mentioned btw), even if it will be awhile. That is, I really don't mind waiting for weeks, as long as I know when it is coming! I don't like not knowing when something is coming.

So after close to a week I sent cfg a pm and asked about when I could expect the M-Stage and he did provide a tracking number and it was there days after (it was already well on its way).

Quote:

If the v2 does offer improvements, it'll most likely be such a small % that it doesn't bother me that I got the v1 (and I'm kinda anal about things like this). I figure... I saved some money and probably wouldn't notice a small improvement that much. Now if it made a tremendous leap forward (doubtful), I'd be a bit miffed.

Same here. We'll have to see.

Jun 24, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #494 of 5,176
I'd love to see a comparison between the M-stage and the new Schiit Asgard. 

Jun 24, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #495 of 5,176

Quote:
Hold on for two weeks. We will have a new DAC released.

If this new DAC is designed for M-Stage and matches its form conveniently, I will definitely be buying one. CFG, can you share any more information on this to give us a preview? I am sure it will help others to wait and not buy something else. Thank you.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back