Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Jun 11, 2010 at 10:45 AM Post #316 of 5,176

Quote:
What is so good about the Matrix is not matter what can I use with them they perform well above their price point. I am listening with my  Shure SRH840 and they sound so good. I really havent used the Little Dot MK11 in almost a month. They 840 sound so good on the Matrix as does the 701 and the D7000. One amp and it play everything I can throw at it.

Funny but after a good month+ with my M-Stage - I was in the same boat with my LDI+. I liked it - but figured I wouldn't ever listen to it as a part of my main rig anymore. I put it up for sale with a boatload of tubes I had spent a lot of time and $s accumulating - but changed my mind and after a re-organization - bought a 2nd Airport Express and made the LD part of a nice bedside rig with my D10 as a dac. Now I enjoy my M-Stage all the time - but still get use out of the LD.  

Jun 11, 2010 at 12:35 PM Post #317 of 5,176

Quote:
Funny but after a good month+ with my M-Stage - I was in the same boat with my LDI+. I liked it - but figured I wouldn't ever listen to it as a part of my main rig anymore. I put it up for sale with a boatload of tubes I had spent a lot of time and $s accumulating - but changed my mind and after a re-organization - bought a 2nd Airport Express and made the LD part of a nice bedside rig with my D10 as a dac. Now I enjoy my M-Stage all the time - but still get use out of the LD.  

I have another CD/sacd inside and will be using the Little Dot MK11 with that setup which gives me another room to listen in. It will also give me some more room as my headphones are stacking up and when I get the LCD2 will need the space.

Jun 11, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #318 of 5,176
Got it!
k701smile.gif

Switched the gain right away to 10db. First impression: this thing is heavy!
biggrin.gif
No, really, right out of the box, this is a heavy and long amp.
biggrin.gif

Ok first sound impression: Oh yea, HERE is the power the 702 needs! At any volume level the sound is more robust, filled or fleshed out, quicker and more energetic with more impact; more powerful. THIS is what I've been missing all these months with my 702, and I was right in thinking that the EF-1 just couldn't power them well enough. I even did a "take" when putting on my first track (Rush's Tom Sawyer); my head involuntarily jerked back in surprise at the power and energy.

As for more detailed sound impressions, first thing I noticed was the upper tube veil or softness of my EF-1 was gone; the high mids and highs have more clarity. YET (and this will anger tube fundamentalists lol) the highs are NOT harsher, in fact, I think they are less harsh than with my EF-1! Imagine, a pure solid state amp having smoother and less fatiguing highs than an hybrid tube amp!
tongue.gif
This coheres with what I've been growing to suspect more and more: That it's not a matter of tube or solid state having a certain SS in general, but what the maker of the amp is going for. I know my EF-1 is only a hybrid amp though, but still...

Also I think there is more air in the highs now and as a result there seems to be more detail and a slightly larger sound stage. The bass sounds even more articulate than before, and everything seems more balanced and even smoother or more cohesive.

More later, especially as I A/B the M-Stage with the EF-1.

In sum: the 702's are now brought to life!
k701smile.gif
The power they need is there to give them the energy and more filled out sound (not "warmer" by any means, just not as "thin" or "hollow" or anemic) they are capable of. They sound better than ever now, I'm quite impressed so far!

Thanks to project86 for the review and starting this thread and Frank for pointing this amp out to me and all the other posters who provided their impressions of this amp. I think me, the 702's, and this amp are going to get along just fine for quite awhile.
k701smile.gif

Also thanks to coolfungadget: a week delivery from China with a weekend in the way...wow!

Jun 11, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #320 of 5,176

Quote:
I have another CD/sacd inside and will be using the Little Dot MK11 with that setup which gives me another room to listen in. It will also give me some more room as my headphones are stacking up and when I get the LCD2 will need the space.

I set it up in the other room with the Sony CE775 SACD/CD player however the Outlaw 2150 RR stomps it. I don't know if its because of the power and also the Onkyo DX7555 redbook player is a major step up over the Sony.

Jun 12, 2010 at 2:05 AM Post #326 of 5,176

Quote:
Since the OP has used this amp with the dt 990 600 ohm I was wondering if anyone has used it with the dt 880 600 ohm.

No longer worried about it's ability to drive them, but would like to hear any impressions if anyone has any!

Can someone comment on this at all?

Jun 12, 2010 at 6:39 AM Post #327 of 5,176
Also, has anyone had the chance to compare it to something like the Audio-GD Compass at all?

Jun 12, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #328 of 5,176

Just wanted to pop in here and say hi to everyone. Thanks for all the positive feedback and comments! I'm glad people are enjoying this amp as much as I am. Lately my new Fournier HTA-1 hybrid amp has been stealing a lot of listening time from the M-Stage, but the Matrix is still overall the more versatile amp. I can't imagine going without either of them really.

I recently tried a solid state amp (which will remain nameless, don't want to be rude) that cost nearly twice what the Matrix sells for, and was not impressed at all. The Matrix was easily superior in just about every category except possibly aesthetics and brand appeal.

Quote:
Also, has anyone had the chance to compare it to something like the Audio-GD Compass at all?

I've only heard the Compass a few times, and it seemed like a nice unit, but I think the M-Stage is in another class. Keep in mind that the Compass has a built in DAC which the Matrix doesn't. From what I remember, the Matrix matches the strengths of the Compass (excellent bass, expansive soundstage, fast transients) without having any of the same weaknesses (slightly grainy upper midrange/highs, perhaps a bit dry and uninvolving). Again this is a somewhat uneducated opinion so make of it what you will.

On the other hand if you own a Compas and are satisfied with it, you might just stick with it and spend the money on a different upgrade such as headphones.

Quote:
Can someone comment on this at all?

Sorry my DT880s are the 250ohm version so I'm no help there. But I will say I've not encountered a headphone yet that doesn't sound quite good with the Matrix.

Jun 12, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #329 of 5,176
 Well I just ordered the Tesla T1 so I will be able to post on how the Matrix can drive them hopefully next weekend. Since these are my first Hi impedence can it should prove interesting. I do believe they will succeed. Thats the end of my budget for the year new amp and 2k new phones taps me out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back