Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Mar 10, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #31 of 5,176
Has anyone else heard this amp yet? Not to diminish the OP's excellent review, but one man's opinion is but...one man's opinion
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 11, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #32 of 5,176
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rotomoto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone else heard this amp yet? Not to diminish the OP's excellent review, but one man's opinion is but...one man's opinion
smily_headphones1.gif

Very true, and I'm eager to have some other folks try it out. I'm pretty sure I'm not crazy due to the many opinions of the real Lehmann Linear overwhelmingly agreeing with my impressions of this unit. But still, more perspectives are always better, and indeed there were even a few people who didn't care for the Linear for one reason or another.

Switching topics:
I finally remembered to measure the thing from front of volume knob to rear of RCA jacks. It is just a hair less than 11.5 inches deep, or about 292mm for my metric friends.

I briefly used it with my AKG K702 yesterday. I can tell it continues to perform on the level of the Graham Slee and the DarkVoice, but more than that I can't say without much more listening time.

Mar 11, 2010 at 2:27 AM Post #33 of 5,176
Please let us know about bass and highs with K702...
k701smile.gif

Mar 11, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #34 of 5,176
Quote:

Originally Posted by project86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very true, and I'm eager to have some other folks try it out. I'm pretty sure I'm not crazy due to the many opinions of the real Lehmann Linear overwhelmingly agreeing with my impressions of this unit. But still, more perspectives are always better, and indeed there were even a few people who didn't care for the Linear for one reason or another.

Switching topics:
I finally remembered to measure the thing from front of volume knob to rear of RCA jacks. It is just a hair less than 11.5 inches deep, or about 292mm for my metric friends.

I briefly used it with my AKG K702 yesterday. I can tell it continues to perform on the level of the Graham Slee and the DarkVoice, but more than that I can't say without much more listening time.

Hey Project86, thanks for measuring the amp for me I appreciate it. I can't wait until I pair it to use with the HD600
L3000.gif

Mar 11, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #36 of 5,176
Well, I want a Matrix, too.
As I am new to buying via eBay and PayPal, I have one question:
What do I write when I want my PayPal money to go to Jeffrey Tam? I have no clue whatsoever and feel a bit uneducated.
Thank you for your help. I hope to improve eventually.

Mar 11, 2010 at 1:41 PM Post #37 of 5,176
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I want a Matrix, too.
As I am new to buying via eBay and PayPal, I have one question:
What do I write when I want my PayPal money to go to Jeffrey Tam? I have no clue whatsoever and feel a bit uneducated.
Thank you for your help. I hope to improve eventually.

When you order online by the user coolfungadet, he IS Jeffery Tam. At least, I'm fairly certain that is the case.

Mar 11, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #39 of 5,176
After purchasing it off ebay, there will be a link to pay that eventually asks you to login to paypal. It will have his email/payment info and amount already entered. All you have to do then is double check the amount, the payment method, and hit the confirm payment button.

Mar 11, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #40 of 5,176
If you are a virgin ebayer, start small to get acquainted with the format. Order something that cost a dollar or two. Be aware that to save on listing fees, some sellers sell items for very low prices like 99 cents but the shipping will cost $75. It is common to see audio gear from China like a power amp that list Buy It Now for $65 and the shipping is $249.

Sorry for your wallet
icon10.gif

Mar 14, 2010 at 3:28 AM Post #41 of 5,176
Good advice about Ebay, I think it's all been explained well enough, PM me if you have any other questions though and I'd be glad to help.

Sorry I have not had much of a chance to do in depth listening with K702. From what I've heard though the M-Stage is very neutral with them. That could be a good thing or bad thing depending on how you feel about the K701/702 sound. Some people find them to have glaring flaws that must be "cleaned up" by an amp that unnaturally pushes huge bass or some other aspect. I find that the M-Stage has plenty of power for that authoritative sound, but does not color them to sound like some other headphones. They still retain their oroginal character.

Hope that helps a bit.

Mar 15, 2010 at 7:16 AM Post #43 of 5,176
Quote:

Originally Posted by project86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sorry I have not had much of a chance to do in depth listening with K702. From what I've heard though the M-Stage is very neutral with them. That could be a good thing or bad thing depending on how you feel about the K701/702 sound. Some people find them to have glaring flaws that must be "cleaned up" by an amp that unnaturally pushes huge bass or some other aspect. I find that the M-Stage has plenty of power for that authoritative sound, but does not color them to sound like some other headphones. They still retain their oroginal character.

Hope that helps a bit.

That's exactly what I'm looking for in an amp, honestly. I couldn't ask for anything more than that.
smily_headphones1.gif

This batch of M-Stage amps are supposed to start out shipping between the 15th and the 18th; so any day now mine should be shipping. Once I get it, I'll give my oh-so-amateur opinion.

Mar 15, 2010 at 7:32 AM Post #44 of 5,176
Re heat: it looks like this unit doesn't use the chassis for a heatsink, that would explain why the outside of the unit doesn't get hot
wink.gif
versus say Audio-gd gear that often uses the chassis for a heatsink or other stuff that has exposed heatsinks. If you feel like it, could you try running it for a while then touching the small vertical heatsinks inside it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back