Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Mar 7, 2010 at 3:39 AM Post #20 of 5,176
Thanks for the good review. I'm ordering one. I'll have to wait a few weeks but that's the penance the audio gods have handed down for listening to my HD600s directly from my computer sound card.
ph34r.gif

Mar 7, 2010 at 9:07 AM Post #22 of 5,176
Damn you damn you
icon10.gif

I had made up my mind what amp I was going to get next, Sheer Audio HA-006+ dynalo. Then this comes along.

I prefer the look of the sheer and by looking at the photos I think it might have the better build quality than the matrix but the matrix is cheaper.
If the matrix does sound like a linear then it should be a step up from the dynalo,
mad.gif

I have no way of listen to them first and if I get both I am afraid of getting stung for duties on both items, which I would loath.

Mar 7, 2010 at 9:49 AM Post #23 of 5,176
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcoops16 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Damn you damn you
icon10.gif

I had made up my mind what amp I was going to get next, Sheer Audio HA-006+ dynalo. Then this comes along.

I prefer the look of the sheer and by looking at the photos I think it might have the better build quality than the matrix but the matrix is cheaper.
If the matrix does sound like a linear then it should be a step up from the dynalo,
mad.gif

I have no way of listen to them first and if I get both I am afraid of getting stung for duties on both items, which I would loath.

Sorry!

I looked up the Sheer and it looks pretty nice, I'm not sure if the build quality is better though. My pics seem to accentuate every piece of dust and such, but the M-Stage really is quite well made. I'm a fan of pretty much all Gilmore designs and I'd have to have a dynalo sitting hee to compare them, but my initial impression is that the M-Stage would be a higher class.

Another issue that I completely forgot (thanks for bringing it up): I did not have to pay any duties or anything, but of course that may not always be the case. The seller marked the value as $70 so if I was charged something it would have been for that amount, though again I'm not familiar with the percentages.

I'm sure you would likely be happy with either amp so don't overthink it, just pick one and be happy!

Mar 7, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #25 of 5,176
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunneebear /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have never been taxed for anything coming into the US. I've had items ordered for clients in the thousands USD.

Yeah from reading these boards it looks pretty painless importing stuff into the US, not so in the UK, unless the seller basically lies on the customs slip you will get (insert expletive here)

Mar 8, 2010 at 4:43 AM Post #28 of 5,176
Quote:

Originally Posted by gav007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you provide the dimension of this amp it looks quite long

280 x 110 x 42mm. Probably doesn't include the protruding volume knob.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back