Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Nov 11, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #5,161 of 5,176
I would definitely like to try a NOS dac someday. People seem to have a love/hate relationship with it.

Mar 29, 2018 at 1:03 AM Post #5,163 of 5,176
Really interested in your comments on sound of the HPA-3B. I'm interested in this amp, though the last thing I need is another amp (!) ... it's an addiction.
I've been using the HPA-3B for months now and I'm very impressed with it.

I recently did a brief A/B testing of the two amps using the following equipment:
Chord 2Qute DAC
Sennheiser HD6XX (love these headphones so easy to listen to, makes me want to try the 660s)
Beyerdynamic DT1900
Hifiman HE560

The HPA-3B is definitely a more analytical amp compared to the HPA-1. My preference in bass is i like crisp and defined/tight bass. The A/B testing I did was brief and I'm not sure if my ears hadn't adjusted after using the HPA-3B for months but the HPA-1 sounded almost muddy in comparison the HPA-3B just sounds more clear. Much prefer the HPA-3B with the EDM that I mostly listen to.

Did you say you own the Alex Cavalli amp(CTH or Carbon X?) and how would you compare it to the HPA-1? I can do some more A/B'ing if you want me to test a specific song or configuration.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #5,164 of 5,176

I recently did a brief A/B testing of the two amps using the following equipment:
Chord 2Qute DAC
Sennheiser HD6XX (love these headphones so easy to listen to, makes me want to try the 660s)
Beyerdynamic DT1900
Hifiman HE560

The HPA-3B is definitely a more analytical amp compared to the HPA-1. My preference in bass is i like crisp and defined/tight bass. The A/B testing I did was brief and I'm not sure if my ears hadn't adjusted after using the HPA-3B for months but the HPA-1 sounded almost muddy in comparison the HPA-3B just sounds more clear. Much prefer the HPA-3B with the EDM that I mostly listen to.

Did you say you own the Alex Cavalli amp(CTH or Carbon X?) and how would you compare it to the HPA-1? I can do some more A/B'ing if you want me to test a specific song or configuration.

Well, I sorta went in a different direction w/amps...got a Woo WA3 OTL/tube amp, which just finished burning in (love it).

I do own the Liquid Carbon (v2); a Head-Fi pal owns the CTH and has been raving about it since the moment he plugged it in.

I'm very fond of the HPA-1, but IMO it's a very different design compared to the LC--not directly competitive, because:
  • The HPA-1 can be used as a system preamp, and it's very good at that, particularly once you replace that awful volume knob w/something more ergonomic and visually clear. The LC can't do this.
  • The HPA-1 is single-ended all the way vs the LC, which can receive balanced inputs and output balanced signal
  • And the LC is significantly more powerful than the HPA-1.
While both the LC & HPA-1 are somewhat similar in "voicing" (warm-ish; bassy; no elevated treble or razor-sharp transients), IMO the LC is far more amp, capable of much bigger soundstaging, more resolution/clarity, and synergy w/a number of the amps. All my headphones sounded more than decent on the HPA-1 except the ZMF Ori, a power-hungry planar that the HPA-1 just can't handle (it sounded strident & stressed)--vs the LC, which easily handles it.

These 2 amps really aren't in the same sonic ballpark in terms of musical fidelity, though the HPA-1 is a very pleasant listen.

Re "muddy," you're correct in that HPA-1 (w/stock opamp) is not a very resolving amp. The bass in particular was boosted, but not terribly clear. That's why I began messing w/opamps (3 different ones). The basic sound changes quite a bit w/the right op amp.

I stopped using my HPA-1 on a day-to-day basis 1-2 yrs ago, and now have so many amps that I haven't even heard it in 9+ months. It was my first real headphone amp and I still have fond memories of that warm, bassy sound.

Mar 29, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #5,165 of 5,176
Well, I sorta went in a different direction w/amps...got a Woo WA3 OTL/tube amp, which just finished burning in (love it).

I do own the Liquid Carbon (v2); a Head-Fi pal owns the CTH and has been raving about it since the moment he plugged it in.

I'm very fond of the HPA-1, but IMO it's a very different design compared to the LC--not directly competitive, because:
  • The HPA-1 can be used as a system preamp, and it's very good at that, particularly once you replace that awful volume knob w/something more ergonomic and visually clear. The LC can't do this.
  • The HPA-1 is single-ended all the way vs the LC, which can receive balanced inputs and output balanced signal
  • And the LC is significantly more powerful than the HPA-1.
While both the LC & HPA-1 are somewhat similar in "voicing" (warm-ish; bassy; no elevated treble or razor-sharp transients), IMO the LC is far more amp, capable of much bigger soundstaging, more resolution/clarity, and synergy w/a number of the amps. All my headphones sounded more than decent on the HPA-1 except the ZMF Ori, a power-hungry planar that the HPA-1 just can't handle (it sounded strident & stressed)--vs the LC, which easily handles it.

These 2 amps really aren't in the same sonic ballpark in terms of musical fidelity, though the HPA-1 is a very pleasant listen.

Re "muddy," you're correct in that HPA-1 (w/stock opamp) is not a very resolving amp. The bass in particular was boosted, but not terribly clear. That's why I began messing w/opamps (3 different ones). The basic sound changes quite a bit w/the right op amp.

I stopped using my HPA-1 on a day-to-day basis 1-2 yrs ago, and now have so many amps that I haven't even heard it in 9+ months. It was my first real headphone amp and I still have fond memories of that warm, bassy sound.
Yeah I already have a "end game" OTL tube amp (Feliks Elise) that I'm happy with. I'm more interested in solid state and hybrid amps.

Have you tried the CTH and how would you compare it to the Liquid Carbon? Also how does the THX AAA 789 compare to the Liquid Carbon, they both have similar builds. I'm really interested in these amps.

Mar 29, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #5,166 of 5,176
Yeah I already have a "end game" OTL tube amp (Feliks Elise) that I'm happy with. I'm more interested in solid state and hybrid amps.

Have you tried the CTH and how would you compare it to the Liquid Carbon? Also how does the THX AAA 789 compare to the Liquid Carbon, they both have similar builds. I'm really interested in these amps.

A good friend of mine (another Head-Fi'er) just got his CTH 4-5 days ago and has been raving about it. Not even fully burned in, but it's rocking his world with headphones like the ZMF Eikon (killer/endgame HP IMO), Audeze LCD2F, and Blue Lola. Eventually he'll bring the CTH over and I'll get to hear it on my headphones, also compare to LC.

Re LC, I have to say that since I got my v2, I've never once felt like this was an amp I could do without. It does certain things better than even my best other amps; does other things nearly as well as my best; and has an eerie way to "lock in" and create great synergy w/various headphones, some of which is should sound terrible with "on paper" (best example being my now-sold E-Mu Teaks, which the LC rocked like a big baby carriage).

It's indispensible to me. Even w/high-achieving amps like the V281 & Woo WA3 on hand, the LC is essential to me.

Mar 29, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #5,167 of 5,176
A good friend of mine (another Head-Fi'er) just got his CTH 4-5 days ago and has been raving about it. Not even fully burned in, but it's rocking his world with headphones like the ZMF Eikon (killer/endgame HP IMO), Audeze LCD2F, and Blue Lola. Eventually he'll bring the CTH over and I'll get to hear it on my headphones, also compare to LC.

Re LC, I have to say that since I got my v2, I've never once felt like this was an amp I could do without. It does certain things better than even my best other amps; does other things nearly as well as my best; and has an eerie way to "lock in" and create great synergy w/various headphones, some of which is should sound terrible with "on paper" (best example being my now-sold E-Mu Teaks, which the LC rocked like a big baby carriage).

It's indispensible to me. Even w/high-achieving amps like the V281 & Woo WA3 on hand, the LC is essential to me.
Yeah I'm so tempted to jump on the CTH I'm attracted to hifi products at mid-fi prices. It's supposed to bring the Senn HD6XX to life as well. Massdrop currently doesn't have the Liquid Carbon in stock so I'll have to wait.

Mar 29, 2018 at 7:47 PM Post #5,168 of 5,176
We're getting off-topic here...but I'm doing an extended review & evaluation of an HD650 mod (vs stock HD650), and so have been listening to this fascinating modded Senn for several months. Tried it on all my amps...listening to it on LC right now. It sounds very good (and very similar) on all of them, whether I connect it SE or balanced.

...until I plug it into an OTL/tube amp (Woo WA3)--and voila! Out pops the real Sennheiser. It sounds much like it does on SS, but everything is even better. Every single thing about the sound is better: more refined, flatter/more evenly balanced, more exact/pinpoint soundstaging, and amazing midrange.

I'm not sure that the HD650 realizes its full sonic potential until driven by a high impedance source like an OTL tube amp. Then again, it would very very interesting to hear the Senn on the CTH.

Apr 4, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #5,169 of 5,176

Have you had a chance of trying HD6xx balanced cabled with HPA-3B? Or any other hp. I just bought a HPA-3B because it is a ss amp and balanced capabilty.
I build an adapter for MDR Z7 balanced cable to listen in it's XLR output.

Apr 14, 2018 at 10:38 PM Post #5,170 of 5,176
We're getting off-topic here...but I'm doing an extended review & evaluation of an HD650 mod (vs stock HD650), and so have been listening to this fascinating modded Senn for several months. Tried it on all my amps...listening to it on LC right now. It sounds very good (and very similar) on all of them, whether I connect it SE or balanced.

...until I plug it into an OTL/tube amp (Woo WA3)--and voila! Out pops the real Sennheiser. It sounds much like it does on SS, but everything is even better. Every single thing about the sound is better: more refined, flatter/more evenly balanced, more exact/pinpoint soundstaging, and amazing midrange.

I'm not sure that the HD650 realizes its full sonic potential until driven by a high impedance source like an OTL tube amp. Then again, it would very very interesting to hear the Senn on the CTH.
Did you get a chance to listen to the CTH yet? How do you think it compares to a 'class A' amp like the Gustard H20?

Apr 15, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #5,171 of 5,176
Did you get a chance to listen to the CTH yet? How do you think it compares to a 'class A' amp like the Gustard H20?

Not yet, I'm sorry to say. A local Head-Fi pal owns a CTH and really has been impressed w/it...I just haven't been able go over & hear the modded HD650 on it. I've read good things about that pairing in this thread...

But I have to say, I have several SS amps that are also balanced (Liquid Carbon v2; Violectric V281), and I'm pretty sure the LC is class A all the way. I've heard the modded HD650s on these and 2-3 other amps that are single ended SS. I couldn't hear any big differences in sound across the lot--kinda surprising, given that my amps hardly all sound alike; they also differ greatly in WPC/power.

I've concluded that addressing the higher impedance of this HP via an amp like the Woo WA (OTL/tube) that's designed for high impedance loads produces a larger sonic benefit than switching between SS amps, SE vs balanced, etc (the Woo is SE).

This benefit may also exist w/SS amps that allow higher output impedance to be selected, like the Beyerdynamic A20; and tube/SS hybrids w/switchable impedance (haven't been able to try any of those yet).

Apr 20, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #5,172 of 5,176
Have you had a chance of trying HD6xx balanced cabled with HPA-3B? Or any other hp. I just bought a HPA-3B because it is a ss amp and balanced capabilty.
The HD6XX sounds great with HPA-3B in balanced mode !

Did you get a chance to listen to the CTH yet?
I have the Matrix HPA-3B, Massdrop CTH and Matrix M-Stage HPA-1 and I would rate them in this order.

May 16, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #5,173 of 5,176
The HD6XX sounds great with HPA-3B in balanced mode !

I have the Matrix HPA-3B, Massdrop CTH and Matrix M-Stage HPA-1 and I would rate them in this order.

I concur with this I haven't been able to get away from the HD6XX and HPA-3B in balanced mode lately even with my array of headphones and amps.

Jul 30, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #5,175 of 5,176
HPA-2 CLASSIC Not sure why it says 110mW @ 32ohms in the specs as it's as powerful as my NFB.11, changed the opamp from a OPA2134 to a NE5532 and it sounded better to me, have a burson v6 vivid on the way.

Nfw0q6o.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back