Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Aug 3, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #4,861 of 5,176
Does anyone know the differences between these two mods
http://tamaudio.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=39_46&product_id=82

http://tamaudio.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=39_46&product_id=91

Is one dual mono chips and the other a is a single dual opamp? Will they both work with M-stage in the same way of installation? Sorry for all the questions I have been searching and could not find my answer and wrote Tam's audio last night but probably will not reply until this week if he does 

Aug 4, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #4,862 of 5,176
Does anyone know the differences between these two mods
http://tamaudio.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=39_46&product_id=82

http://tamaudio.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=39_46&product_id=91

Is one dual mono chips and the other a is a single dual opamp? Will they both work with M-stage in the same way of installation? Sorry for all the questions I have been searching and could not find my answer and wrote Tam's audio last night but probably will not reply until this week if he does 

No real difference, one is using "SMT" (Surface Mount Technology) Op Amps, the other is using "DIP" (Dual Inline Pin) Op Amps.
They should sound the same.
They both use two "mono" Op Amps.
OPA627AU has the second Op Amp on the back.

Tam Audio is a good source for the LM4562NA.
You can also buy them from Newark Electronics.

The OPA627 will sound slightly warmer than the LM4562NA.
Personally, I think the LM4562NA is the more neutral of all those Op Amps.

Aug 4, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #4,863 of 5,176
No real difference, one is using "SMT" (Surface Mount Technology) Op Amps, the other is using "DIP" (Dual Inline Pin) Op Amps.
They should sound the same.
They both use two "mono" Op Amps.
OPA627AU has the second Op Amp on the back.

Tam Audio is a good source for the LM4562NA.
You can also buy them from Newark Electronics.

The OPA627 will sound slightly warmer than the LM4562NA.
Personally, I think the LM4562NA is the more neutral of all those Op Amps.

Okay that is good too know, and does the LM4562 need to have the bias mod, because I could not find and or see the op amp you were suggestion I am planning on getting a couple different op amps in the long run, but I am not sure if I would like a warmer sound chip or not because I do like tubes and the warmth of some. I jsut replaced the JJ ECC82 tubes with two 1957 RCA 12AU7 on the Fournier HTA-2, now the downfall with the HTA-2 is that the different tubes one does buy does not have as much of an impact as other hybrid. The difference is that the RCA is cleaner, better separation, and that is about it. I do not mind if that is all I achieved with this tube set. So I do not know if I am going to with the more neutral chip or one with some warmth. 

EDIT: I found the chipset you were talking about at the very bottom, now all I need is one correct and to remove the stock chip by gently rolling it out and pull it off? then I just plug and play? Sorry first time doing this, and I will probably check the video done on youtube with changing the opamp with the ad797 on a bias mod I think, wonder how that sounds on the M-stage.

Aug 4, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #4,864 of 5,176
Okay that is good too know, and does the LM4562 need to have the bias mod, because I could not find and or see the op amp you were suggestion I am planning on getting a couple different op amps in the long run, but I am not sure if I would like a warmer sound chip or not because I do like tubes and the warmth of some. I jsut replaced the JJ ECC82 tubes with two 1957 RCA 12AU7 on the Fournier HTA-2, now the downfall with the HTA-2 is that the different tubes one does buy does not have as much of an impact as other hybrid. The difference is that the RCA is cleaner, better separation, and that is about it. I do not mind if that is all I achieved with this tube set. So I do not know if I am going to with the more neutral chip or one with some warmth. 

EDIT: I found the chipset you were talking about at the very bottom, now all I need is one correct and to remove the stock chip by gently rolling it out and pull it off? then I just plug and play? Sorry first time doing this, and I will probably check the video done on youtube with changing the opamp with the ad797 on a bias mod I think, wonder how that sounds on the M-stage.

I would use the LM4562 without any Class A biasing.
Yes, you take the Op Amp out by gently rocking the Op Amp out.
Best thing to do is watch the YouTube video before you try to take it out and put in the replacement.
It's easy to put the replacement in backwards......which will destroy it!

Aug 4, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #4,865 of 5,176
Best thing to do is watch the YouTube video before you try to take it out and put in the replacement.

Thank you so much Chris for all the suggestions and help, truly cool of you man. I will let you know if I decide on it and when I actually get it in the m-stage and see  what I think.

Aug 5, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #4,866 of 5,176
As stated a few pages ago I got my M-Stage mid-July. When I plugged it in yesterday it wasn't recognized on any computer I tried. Analog ins still work thankfully. I am writing back and forth with tamAudio and I hope I won't need to ship it back. He asked me to push the opamp firmly in place, as he'd encountered that before, but that didn't help. Anyone else have had this problem?

Aug 6, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #4,867 of 5,176

So, I just realized the LM4562 is only ten dollars with free shipping... not bad not bad. I am going to Purchase one soon, I really wanted to purchase one but with my girls car starter going just after replacing the tires, and then insurance trying not to cover all of my physical therapy for the blood clot i have been dealing with for 5 months.. .I take that back I willl not be getting the LM4562 for a long while. Which sucks but I cannot really do anything about it. I really want to hear it in the stage only because I was told it makes a difference. Well anyways thanks for helping me find the right op amp Chris. 

Aug 6, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #4,868 of 5,176
Hm I found one on mouser, but it is not the same chip I think LM4562NA/NOPB that is what it is written as and the one I am looking for is unavailable there, this one being from TI

Aug 7, 2014 at 6:04 AM Post #4,870 of 5,176
Pretty well actuallyi plugged into me actually . I used it with my fourniee hta2 hybrid. It mkes the sound cleaner and i never have to go past 9am

Aug 7, 2014 at 6:41 AM Post #4,871 of 5,176
I was thinking of buying this one below but is there anything I should know before buying it?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Matrix-m-stage-Headphone-Amplifier-Black-Version-/261264192552?pt=US_Amplifier_Parts_Components&hash=item3cd48f3428

Aug 7, 2014 at 6:59 AM Post #4,872 of 5,176
Aug 11, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #4,873 of 5,176
Dude I am not ordering from Tam's audio again, I have written a ton of enquiries about products then after an order wrote more and not one replied, then I had to wait 4 days to chip a single chip and it is coming from China not Chicago, I think that there should be a status saying this chip currently ships from China so a wait will be required. And a single answer for all my questions would of sufficed.

Aug 11, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #4,874 of 5,176
  Dude I am not ordering from Tam's audio again, I have written a ton of enquiries about products then after an order wrote more and not one replied, then I had to wait 4 days to chip a single chip and it is coming from China not Chicago, I think that there should be a status saying this chip currently ships from China so a wait will be required. And a single answer for all my questions would of sufficed.

Seems odd, when I had occasion to email Tam with questions I always got prompt and detailed replies. Maybe there is a Chinese holiday or some family issue going on. He really got back to me very quickly with answers to all my questions.

Aug 12, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #4,875 of 5,176
  Seems odd, when I had occasion to email Tam with questions I always got prompt and detailed replies. Maybe there is a Chinese holiday or some family issue going on. He really got back to me very quickly with answers to all my questions.

That is what I have read from a lot of people, so I thought I should be good with communication but I honestly do not think I can use the Holiday as an excuse because it has been a couple weeks. I really hope it makes it trhrough china air just in an envelope... I get concerned with the pins and them not being in a little box or something, I am hoping it comes quick and safely, I know it is only 10 dollars but for me 10 dollars is an awful lot for me. Anyways It is okay because put the 2227 in my Cmoy bb that had the NE5532 and it sounded good really decent separation detail, impact, and more musicality than the OPA2134 without being as dark sounding, that is the best way I can describe the opa2134 is dark and thick like syrup if that makes any sense. I ended up putting the NE5532 in the M-stage for now and I do like the sonic differences quite a bit, I have a ne5532 in other portable the Gemini Doctor's GemTune Ws1.2 bluebird, Which sounds a lot better than the price I got it for.

I hope it works out at least. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back