Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Jul 29, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #4,848 of 5,176
Can someone pls point me in the right direction where I can find one of those large volume knobs as I would like to upgrade from the standard one on my M-stage? Ideally something similar to what is used in the Lehmann Black Cube for example.
My M-stage is the newer model with the new face plate FYI. Thanks

Jul 29, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #4,849 of 5,176
Hey what do u know! After 4 weeks of trying to sell and the day i say its a tough sell,, I FOUND A BUYER :)

Congrats! :D

BTW, I should be getting my Matrix Quattro amp soon!

Jul 29, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #4,850 of 5,176
Can someone pls point me in the right direction where I can find one of those large volume knobs as I would like to upgrade from the standard one on my M-stage? Ideally something similar to what is used in the Lehmann Black Cube for example.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/475618/matrix-m-stage-amp-review-simple-cheap-and-excellent/3855#post_9328852

Find a new listing of the same part and you are good to go.

Jul 29, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #4,851 of 5,176
Congrats!
biggrin.gif

BTW, I should be getting my Matrix Quattro amp soon!

ooh a balanced system :))) nice.. and yep really happy with the sale :) have my ideal setup for the he 400's now :)

Jul 29, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #4,852 of 5,176
http://www.head-fi.org/t/475618/matrix-m-stage-amp-review-simple-cheap-and-excellent/3855#post_9328852

Find a new listing of the same part and you are good to go.

Thank you that looks perfect apart from the fact that I am looking for a black one, maybe I can get a silver one and paint it black will check it out. Cheers

Jul 30, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #4,853 of 5,176

This is the one you want:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180672233284

Drew

Aug 3, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #4,855 of 5,176
Can any one give me some good references or suggestions for op amps for the M-stage? I am looking on tam's audiio but also really do not know much about them and what are of the Opamps that would work with the M-stage? Please help me if you do not mind.

Aug 3, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #4,856 of 5,176
Also I recently have received the M-stage, and before that I received the Fournier HTA-2 which is discontinued but also received great recommendations from Project86. I Had bought before reading his review but it was spot on, and the M-stage I would have to agree is similar in his assessment.

I will be honest I feel since using every other amp after and before the Fournier that nothing does it better for my preferences. This isn't to say there is not better amps that are more detailed, or have a better stage, or separation. There the M-stage is one of them and for being a solid state amp I happen to really like it, but the hybrid Fournier HTA-2( which main differences from the HTA-1 are that you can use iems and low impedance phones with much noise) the Fournier sounds more solid state with just a more life like presentation, lush and smooth mids and treble. It took a while for me to really like the M-stage(stock thinking about getting the bias mod), now from the beginning I could hear that the M-stage had a better sound stage and separation, along with details with  instrumentals which were so subtle before on any of the other amps, that I did not even hear them(could here some with the Fournier).

Still the Fournier has it's own magic that just lures you in, so I refused to stop listening to the M-stage, needed to find out if I wanted to keep or if it was worth keeping since I have another amp that I currently Love. Well after some time, this being a new amp and not used by the head fier that traded with me, I listened through the hours of burn in if that is what it is. It could be me and my ears adjusting to a more solid state sound, very neutral slight( and I mean slight) warmth. I really started to enjoy the things I appreciated about the M-stage, the stage was great for instrumental soundtracks and classical setups. But things that were faster and more progressive like Mars volta, rush, Coheed's Fear Through the Eyes of Madness tracks all sounded fantastically detailed and yet not too analytical for my own taste. I still think I prefer the tubes and the hybrid amp especially with headphones I use currently, both really able to sing with tubes and or ss amps. The HD600s sound fantastic with the Fournier, and yet stayed strong even on the M-stage. The other I think may even sound better on the M-stage, which is my DT 880.  I then remembered I could use the M-stage as a preamp.... I kind of wish I could do the same for the fournier so that I can hear how it would sound with the M-stage in that order, and it does not help that I also use the Fostex HP which has a built in amp that is of average quality compared to the DAC that imo I prefer over the ODAC. So right now I am listening to the HD600s in this line up, Media Monkey (flac) ---Fostex DAC----Fostex amp as preamp----Matrix m-stage also as preamp-----Fournier HTA 2----HD600s. lol it is a pretty big line, but I do not know if it is just my imagination but I feel like there is less noise in between the songs with this set up. 

Aug 3, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #4,857 of 5,176
  Can any one give me some good references or suggestions for op amps for the M-stage? I am looking on tam's audiio but also really do not know much about them and what are of the Opamps that would work with the M-stage? Please help me if you do not mind.

LM4562NA

Aug 3, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #4,858 of 5,176
Do you think this op amp would sound nice with the hd600s? and you do not need a bias mod with this or anything just the one lm4562na ? Thanks for your suggestion.

Aug 3, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #4,859 of 5,176
  Do you think this op amp would sound nice with the hd600s? and you do not need a bias mod with this or anything just the one lm4562na ? Thanks for your suggestion.

I suspect the neutral LM4562NA would go very well with neutral headphones like the HD600.
I would not modify the LM4562NA.

I tried a Class A modded OPA627, I thought it sounded too warm.

Aug 3, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #4,860 of 5,176
Yeah I figured I think a warm one would go well too with the HD600s, but that also depends on kind of sound you are looking for. I am interested in where would be a safe and more affordable place to buy the 4562na? because I found the bias mod and opa627 chips together for 30 at tams audio. I was just wondering since I never messed with op amps and am still learning. I think when the time comes I may get both and try them both out to see which i prefer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back