Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Nov 7, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #3,241 of 5,176
Haha that's my sister's room, it had better lighting than my room. Although i have nothing against cute little yellow pillows lol

The pillows really tie the room together... :D

Nov 7, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #3,242 of 5,176
Quote:

Haha that's my sister's room, it had better lighting than my room. Although i have nothing against cute little yellow pillows lol

Nov 7, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #3,243 of 5,176
Next time i take pics i think i should have the pillow in front and the amp in the background 
tongue.gif

Nov 7, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #3,244 of 5,176
Next time i take pics i think i should have the pillow in front and the amp in the background :p

Maybe a fluffy teddy would make the pic perfect? :D

Nov 7, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #3,245 of 5,176
Quote:
Am I such a quiet listener or something by having the amp on 10 'o clock at most at 0dB gain, I mean, I use it qith a Q701, which aren't the hardest cans to drive, but not the easiest either..

Try setting the switches to 18 dB or 20 dB gain.
The volume should go WAY up.
If the volume goes WAY down, you have the switches reversed and you have NOW set the gain to 0 dB.    Just like everyone else does when they first get a Matrix M!
wink_face.gif

Nov 7, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #3,246 of 5,176
Quote:

If the volume goes WAY down, you have the switches reversed and you have NOW set the gain to 0 dB.    Just like everyone else does when they first get a Matrix M!
wink_face.gif

I can honestly say I didn't make that mistake, of course the thread might have had something to do with it.

Nov 7, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #3,247 of 5,176
Nov 7, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #3,248 of 5,176
Quote:
wink_face.gif

That's what I did. I set the gain 0dB and listened to it. Then I tried the 20dB gain setting. They were reversed. Some owners have misinterpreted the DIP-switch labels on the bottom. In some cases, such as mine, the labels are exactly backwards.

No harm, no foul. Just momentary frustration which I survived.

Nov 8, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #3,249 of 5,176
I just remembered that i have a really old low quality dvd player so i hooked up my m-stage to it and it works! The dvd player doesn't even play any music CDs so im currently playing a copy of I Am A Legend haha, audio only no video. All i can say for now is that it sounds very nice :) Im pretty sure the dac in this player is terrible though.

The gains switches on the m-stage are reversed but that's ok. Im just trying to burn some mp3s to a DVD so i can test some music. 

Nov 8, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #3,250 of 5,176
Quote:
I just remembered that i have a really old low quality dvd player so i hooked up my m-stage to it and it works! The dvd player doesn't even play any music CDs so im currently playing a copy of I Am A Legend haha, audio only no video. All i can say for now is that it sounds very nice :) Im pretty sure the dac in this player is terrible though.

You're using the DAC in your DVD player. It's what produces the signal amplified by the M-Stage.

I use one input channel on my M-Stage for my Blu-Ray player.

Nov 8, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #3,251 of 5,176
Quote:

You're using the DAC in your DVD player. It's what produces the signal amplified by the M-Stage.

I use one input channel on my M-Stage for my Blu-Ray player.

Yes i know that, i may have not worded myself very clearly sorry. Yeah the DVD player is absolutely terrible so im sure the dac is too.

I managed to burn some mp3s at 320 kbps to a dvd and wow my HD 280 pros have never sounded this good, really impressive. I should have my HE400s tomorrow so really looking forward to that now. But the dvd player will have to do until my odac arrives.

edit: hmm it seems the music CDs i tried previously were flukes, the rest of my collection works fine. Im really shocked at how good this setup sounds, all thanks to the M-Stage 
biggrin.gif

Nov 9, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #3,252 of 5,176
Quote:

wink_face.gif

No I actually had it right the first time, if I invert all the switches I can't even put it higher than 8 'o clock at +20dB! Whereas with unity gain I won't go higher than 10 'o clock.

Imo the stickers arent wrong on the M-Stage, the switches are white and the white part of the schematic therefore indicates where the switch should be, not the black part!

Seems I'm a quiet listener or something, and I was thinking I was one of those persons who had trouble finding the ultimate balance between safety and intensity in terms of volume

Nov 9, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #3,253 of 5,176
Quote:
Imo the stickers arent wrong on the M-Stage, the switches are white and the white part of the schematic therefore indicates where the switch should be, not the black part!

Using black for the switch position has been the standard at least since the 1980's. Back then, nearly every PC and ISA adapter card was configured with DIP switches.

Nov 9, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #3,254 of 5,176
No I actually had it right the first time, if I invert all the switches I can't even put it higher than 8 'o clock at +20dB! Whereas with unity gain I won't go higher than 10 'o clock.

Seems I'm a quiet listener or something, and I was thinking I was one of those persons who had trouble finding the ultimate balance between safety and intensity in terms of volume

So much for my genius theory! LOL

Maybe your Soundblaster outputs a very high level signal?

Nov 9, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #3,255 of 5,176
I dont get it, how do you mess up the gain?  When its "up" against the ON label, its all at 20, right?

Anyway,  I want to start swapping op-amps.  I am using this with HD650's.  Anyone know of a few posts I can reference that comment on the general consensus of rolling which op-amps produce accentuates what sounds?  I'd like to warm up the mids a little and tighten up the bass if possible, without buying a tube amp.  
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back