Massdrop x Liquid Carbon X Discussion
Jun 1, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #107 of 491
I gotta say, I'm really confused by the lack of reviews for the liquid carbon X. I really thought a Cavalli liquid carbon for $300 was a gamechanger, but real (non-speculative) reviews are nearly impossible to find for the first batch. Seems like there's way more info on the Cavalli tube hybrid amp which is strange. Anyway, whenever my liquid carbon x SDAC version arrives, I'll be sure to give my impressions.

Jun 1, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #108 of 491
Agreed! I was expecting more chatter on this amp. I'm in your boat on the dreaded wait for the SDAC version.

Jun 1, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #109 of 491
Agreed! I was expecting more chatter on this amp. I'm in your boat on the dreaded wait for the SDAC version.

Noticed you have a Bottlehead Crack and the Cavalli CTH. I've got a Bottlehead Crack and I'm interested in the CTH because it's always up on MD. Do you think the CTH is more akin to an OTL Tube Amp (because I love the crack and would like something for lower impedance cans) or is it more like a solid state? Would love to hear impressions on those two if you've got the time.

Jun 1, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #110 of 491
More solid state. Think rich, well-formed and slightly colored (slightly warm) solid state. By comparison the CTH could be considered neutral after a listening session with the Bottlehead. This of course is my unprofessional opinion. But I hope this helps.

Jun 2, 2018 at 3:07 AM Post #111 of 491
I gotta say, I'm really confused by the lack of reviews for the liquid carbon X. I really thought a Cavalli liquid carbon for $300 was a gamechanger, but real (non-speculative) reviews are nearly impossible to find for the first batch. Seems like there's way more info on the Cavalli tube hybrid amp which is strange. Anyway, whenever my liquid carbon x SDAC version arrives, I'll be sure to give my impressions.

It's flippin' awesome. Does a great job expressing my DAC which I absolutely love.

Jun 2, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #113 of 491
I love the unit, simple design, great sound. I got it to drive my LCD2C, and with the gain on high, they sound amazing. I have also been using it to drive my Focal Elear, now Focal Clear. I use my Astell&Kern AK300 as an input and I am so happy with how this amp drives all of my headphones.

Jun 3, 2018 at 10:21 PM Post #114 of 491
I'm in the same mind-set as you guys this amp is very nice sounding absolutely worth the 300.

Jun 3, 2018 at 11:29 PM Post #116 of 491
I have the LAu, and this amp is definitely worth $300...... far more than 10% of the LAu's performance for less than 10% of the price!
Between Massdrop and Monoprice, both reviving Cavalli designs - I hope those of us who did not buy the original Cavalli, will be able to buy a new "LAu" for $999 (or less) soon... :wink:

Jun 4, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #119 of 491
What is LAu?
Short for Liquid gold (Au). A very highly rated amp by Cavalli from several years ago. Limited quantity was produced, and I believe the price was $3,000 at the time.

Jun 4, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #120 of 491
I doubt a version of the Liquid Gold will get produced by Massdrop or Monoprice anytime soon. I feel like with current and upcoming Cavalli design collaborations, there were easy ways to reduce costs from the original design with little impact to sound, either by making something not-portable that was or by easing power requirements without reducing output gain. The Liquid Gold looks like an amp that doesn't have quick or easy corners to cut.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back