Massdrop x Liquid Carbon X Discussion
Mar 8, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #76 of 491
I've tried both I like xlr from my dac to amp it makes a big difference in sq that I can hear as soon as the amp is on ..enjoy

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #77 of 491
I picked up a CTH+SDAC, and wish I had gotten one of these too so that I could choose between and sell the one I like less. Love reading the impressions here (and thoroughly impressed with the CTH.)

Mar 9, 2018 at 12:24 AM Post #78 of 491
thebkt, thanks for the comments. glad you like it. And for everyone else's comments posted about the LCX.

I notice in your pic that you are using the SE out. Not sure if you are only listening from SE, but I'd like to make a general comment for everyone who has the LCX and may only be listening from the SE out.

As you all have read in other discussions the power output from the SE is 1/4 the power from the Bal. Or to reverse the math the Bal delivers 4X the power of the SE. In general, the LCX will perform better in fully balanced mode since this is its native operating mode.

I would offer the suggestion that before anyone settles on the the sound signature of the LCX be sure to listen from the Bal output first. I think you will find a noticeable difference. :)
Understandable. To be fair, I omitted from my last post that my HE560's are run balanced and sound fantastic through the LCX and NFB-1. I simply haven't gotten around to sorting out a <$200CAD balanced cable for my aeons yet.

FWIW the LCX has no problem driving the 12ohm aeons. If it sounds any better than this when I eventually get a balanced cable, then even better!! For now it still sounds great to me single ended :)

Mar 9, 2018 at 6:38 AM Post #79 of 491
^^^Out of curiosity...Are you guys using the balanced/XLR input or the SE/RCA input?

-Mark in St. Louis

I'm using the XLR/balanced input to the LCX because my DAC (Grace m920) provides it. If it did not, I would have no qualms about using the SE input. But as mentioned above, for this amp, one should really go out of one's way to use the balanced output.

Mar 9, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #80 of 491
I'm using the XLR/balanced input to the LCX because my DAC (Grace m920) provides it. If it did not, I would have no qualms about using the SE input. But as mentioned above, for this amp, one should really go out of one's way to use the balanced output.

My experience is very much the same. When I've tested the XLR vs. RCA inputs, there was surprisingly minimal difference to me. I wired both the SE and XLR line outputs from my V281 to the respective inputs on the LCX. The sound difference was so minimal that I actually thought the button to switch between RCA and XLR was not working. I had to disconnect cables to confirm that it was working.

Agreed the outputs though make a very substantial difference. If you're not going balanced out, you are definitely not getting all you can out of this amp. With the way I have all my equipment setup, I get a ltitle buzzing from the SE output on the LCX, but entirely silent on the balanced out. Overall though, for the money, it's a pretty impressive amp.

Mar 9, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #82 of 491
Will my headphones still benefit from xlr out if im only using rca input?

Yes. The type of input and type of output are not related.

If your headphones are in the xlr then either input generates the full balanced behavior of the amp.

Likewise, if the headphones are in the TRS jack, either input will give you the less powerful SE output from the amp.

Both outputs are active all of the time regardless of which input is selected.

Mar 9, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #83 of 491
Yes. The type of input and type of output are not related.

If your headphones are in the xlr then either input generates the full balanced behavior of the amp.

Likewise, if the headphones are in the TRS jack, either input will give you the less powerful SE output from the amp.

Both outputs are active all of the time regardless of which input is selected.
Thank you for your help and quick reply.

Mar 16, 2018 at 3:36 AM Post #85 of 491
I take back what I said about pairing this with the Focals. Excellent combo, especially when run balanced.

Mar 16, 2018 at 10:36 PM Post #86 of 491
I agree my Elear's sound just fine on this amp..

Mar 17, 2018 at 4:57 AM Post #87 of 491
Hi there,

I joined the drop as my first step in desktop audio. I had already made half a step with HE 4XX but until now it was fed by my DX200. Half desktop/portable rig :wink:
HE 4XX through DX200 was really good. With AMP3, this surprising DAP play it really good.
But LCX has kind of authority that make the sound more organic and more fun. Details are still there but bass have more impact and more rumble.
That is once again with DX200 as DAC stage. Through AMP3 balanced lineout with an adapter 2.5 TRRS to XLR.

May be you can help on next step. Too many times DX200 lay there attached to LCX, so I am looking for a balanced desktop DAC with similar performance.
What is your advice? What would be a good pairing as a DAC? What should I stay away from? How would you qualify LCX amp stage?
I'd say LCX is neutral with a bit of warm (not enough experience and references to be confident in my analysis) so game is faily open but I'd have to stay away from warm DAC.
I have to confess that I love the details and the huge soundstage of DX200 so there might be a challenge there.

Mar 17, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #88 of 491
What is your price point a friend of mine just got a pro-ject pre box s2 it's around 400. and has a very nice sq about it..enjoy

Mar 18, 2018 at 11:57 PM Post #90 of 491
Like several other posters, I've had to consider a dac that will work best for my modest system. I originally used my ifi Micro iDSD Black Label as a dac. Listening through a set of HD 6xx using a Periapt balanced cable, it sounded pretty good to me...better than I expected, but I found that I will need to search for better source files in many cases. Although both the LCX and the Burr-Brown dac are often described as "warm", the result was not like adding excessive warmth, rather that the bass through lower mids exhibited superior definition.

Then, I had a surprise. I'm an old hand at vacuum tube analog audio. The best circuits are not sloppy, resulting in what many identify as the "tubey" sound, rather the best circuits pass a very accurate sound while adjusting things such things as attack, decay, and roll-off. It impresses me that the LCX can hit all these desirable aspects in a solid state circuit. Exceptional design and exceptional designer, I'd say.

Having discovered that, I have decided to use the ifi Nano iOne as dac. It comes in a compact package that includes HiRes Bluetooth ($199 msrp). I'll have to experiment with that, and try to find a better match in headphones. Suggestions welcomed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back