Massdrop x Focal Elex Review & Measurements
Dec 15, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #18 of 2,030
I tried the clears and sold them a week later, after having the utopia as well I just found the clears so lacking for my taste which is not to say their not good headphones as I have found the utopias have utterly wrecked my listening experience with other headphones as for me their just so good, litteraly like straping amazing speakers to your head wrapped in carbon fibre and leather and really comfortable whilst being amazing for the majority of music generes, I also game in them lol one thing I didn’t think they could do properly but was very wrong about that as well.

In relation to these elex I think for the price these are damn well spot on at 799 and if they bring that mix of elear > clear plus the same awesome stock cables these will be a true middle ground headphone and I will buy these as well for travel.

My only problem... why no damn carry case like the clear? Why include that cheap horrible box and no nice portable case? Just up the price to 899 drop the stupid box and include a black carry case for portable carry on. Why make such an awesome drop and balls it up in this area I don’t get it.

Please if any dicission makers from massdrop or focal see this comment, option a carry case in the drop to be purchased seperatly, everything else is spot on here otherwise and I expect this drop to be huge.

Dec 15, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #19 of 2,030
Lol, goodbye Clear sales...

I don't think so. These will be sold in batches on Massdrop. The Clear is sold by dealers. If you want better low bass and more detail, then you'll buy the Clear.

Would Utopia pads fit? Would bass presence go up?

You may as well get original Elear pads in that case. If you're looking for more bass though, I'd consider different headphones IMO.

Dec 15, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #21 of 2,030
@Currawong - Hi Amos, big fan of your youtube reviews. Have you also had a chance to hear the Clear yet and compare Elex to that? I think that is going to be the big question on everyone's mind right now for those of us that were seriously considering Clear. Is there a strong reason to pay nearly double the price over this Elex?

EDIT: just saw your recent comment about Clear. I found the Clear to be more resolving than Elear, but less so than Utopia. I definitely think it is closer to Elear in details than Utopia. So how close is Elex to Clear in details? And have you tried EQ to increase the sub-bass of Elex to match Clear?

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #22 of 2,030
Curious if I'll end up being the only person who actually prefers these to the Clear. Let me clarify a little by saying this - if the Clear and the Elex were priced the same, it would be a tougher decision. There's certainly things the Clear does better, but A) it's not exactly what I was looking for (ie more detail oriented Utopia sound rather than visceral Elear feeling), and B) the price difference is just so massive.

I still think Clear is worth checking out. I'm sure some will love it.

Dec 15, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #23 of 2,030
Would Utopia pads fit? Would bass presence go up?

Re. bass presence, you can find all the answers (and it is better to see oneself) on the Head-Fi AP graphs published on Massdrop here:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-focal-elex-headphones

This shows that it has almost the same FR (Frequency Response) as the Clear, except that it looses a few dB at 20Hz (and the Clear itself has clearly less bass intensity than the Elear).

Technologically the Elex is an Elear except that, unlike the bassier, darker FR of the Elear, the FR of the Elex has been modified with the Clear pads to be almost the same as that the neutral, flat FR of the Clear.
So I understand it to be a modified Elear, due to the use of Clear pads, towards a neutrality, with the addition of a XLR cable.
So a bargain if you want a neutral sound but find the Clear too expensive (the Clear has improved technology and features over the Elear, plus an additional cable plus a transport case).
Also if you can't stand the grey color of the Clear...

(If you want to listen mainly to metal or hard rock, you may prefer the Elear because it is darker (less fatiguing) or the Utopia because of its incredible dynamics, attacks, sound cleanness and details.)

Re. the pads, if as they say it has Clear pads, then the Utopia's should fit.

This massdrop bargain is only available for the US, Canada, Aust. and TW according to their site.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #24 of 2,030
I enjoy wondering the collabs that massdrop plans, and this one might make the list for me as what seems to be their first real reach past the entry level price range.

Dec 15, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #25 of 2,030
I've just had the Elex delivered to me last night and am listening to it right now. Therefore please bear in mind if the following impressions are less "polished" but they're real time feedback whilst having the Elex on my head.

PC160360.jpg

Despite the mentioned 450g weight, it feels lighter than the Utopia (which is what I own for the past year) - and checking the specs the Utopia is at 490g whilst the MassDrop Elex is the same weight as the Focal Clear and the Elear. On the head, they are as comfortable as any of the aforementioned Focal headphones.

I'm very glad that the Elex has adopted the Clear-style of cables despite the headphone originating from a Elear base. As @project86 has mentioned, the Elex has borrowed "here 'n there" from the Elear and Clear. Back on the cable, two are supplied - Single Ended 6.3mm and balanced XLR. Both are are more practical length shy of 6 feet. The cable sheath material (as with the Clear) is a much classier fabric.

Sonically, where do I find the Elex? My setup is from my iPad Pro playing Onkyo Player Pro to my Woo Audio WA8. Tracks have been primarily the Toto Essential, Tears for Fears Song from the Big Chair (DSD), Mark Ronson/Bruno Mars Uptown Funk. Although most of the initial thoughts below are with the aforementioned setup, the Elex are decently sensitive that they can be driven by DAPs (or in my case, off the iBasso DX200 AMP1 module).

A year ago I wrote that the Elear provided bang for the buck with a signature that is more preferential being slightly less than neutral. The Elex on the other hand seems to bring back the neutrality more. I've not looked at any graphs or measurements (haven't seen Jude's video yet!) but from what I recall about the Elear, the Elex does seem to have the more extended trebles that I was seeking in the Elear. I'm tempted to say the Elex seems to have a more Clear-like trebles but I have spent very little time with the Clear and with the time I did, was at a show instead of the comfort (and controlled) environment of my home, so I can't confirm that. The Utopia is more resolving in the trebles than the Elex however the Utopia is also something like 4x the cost of the Elex. The Utopia can sound "hot" depending on tracks too whilst the Elex hasn't exhibited that characteristic with the music I've listened to.

The midrange of the Elex is fulfilling and robust without soundingly overly pronounced. Vocals are transparent and clear with no noticeable smearing however its "bite" isn't as strong as the Utopias which grab one's attention in terms of impact.

The bass of the Elex is full and impactful. It seems tighter than the Elear (which was what I had hoped the Elear should have had). The Elex seems to present the bass of the music track as it is. It can go deep if the track demands it but does not excessively add to it.

Probably the most notable feature when I first put the Elex headphones has been it's fluid and holographic presentation. This is present with the other Focal headphones and a signature in the Focal sound and is retain in Massdrop's Elex. This feature is keeping me engaged keeping the headphones on my head for extended periods.

Where a year ago I felt the Elear provided great bang for the buck, I personally feel the Elex has now not only taken that spot but at least to my signature preference has "fixed" some shortcomings that I had seeked in the Elear.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #28 of 2,030
Elear sales just stopped dead in their tracks. $200 less money for better cables and earpads and sound?

But Clear... that's a tougher nut to crack. Does the Elex not come with an XLR cable? That's $150 right there.

I do like the black....

Dec 15, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #29 of 2,030
Can existing Elear owners get the sonic performance of the Elex by just changing to Clear pads?

Also I really like the matte black. It looks like the headphones Batman would wear... The cool Christian Bale Batman... Not Ben Affleck...

Dec 15, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #30 of 2,030
Elear sales just stopped dead in their tracks. $200 less money for better cables and earpads and sound?

But Clear... that's a tougher nut to crack. Does the Elex not come with an XLR cable? That's $150 right there.

I do like the black....

The Elex comes with 6.3mm SE and XLR balanced cables in the Clear-style design. Both measure shy of 6 feet.

Edit: I'm late to the game. Put my thoughts up on Post #24 above

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back