Massdrop x Focal Elex Review & Measurements
Dec 15, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #33 of 2,030
The build quality is the same as other Focal headphones, which is excellent.

As far as I know, if you bought a set of Clear pads and put them on an Elear, you'd have similar results. [Edit: Turns out the damping is slightly different.]

Before I get a bunch of questions here and via PM: I haven't had a chance to try the Clear, HD6XX or other new headphones. I'll be adding comparisons to the K7XX.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #34 of 2,030
This is getting ridiculous. All the Focal models are cancelling each other out for me.

Dec 15, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #36 of 2,030
I just sold my Focal Elear and now this! I can't believe that I'm considering buying what is essentially the same headphone, although it really does seem like Focal took the concerns of their customers into account in putting together this product.

Dec 15, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #37 of 2,030
Which are the ear cavity dimensions of the ear pads?
Approx 5cm x 6cm x 2cm

I just sold my Focal Elear and now this! I can't believe that I'm considering buying what is essentially the same headphone, although it really does seem like Focal took the concerns of their customers into account in putting together this product.
Massdrop did :p.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #40 of 2,030
Can existing Elear owners get the sonic performance of the Elex by just changing to Clear pads?

Also I really like the matte black. It looks like the headphones Batman would wear... The cool Christian Bale Batman... Not Ben Affleck...

My question exactly. Focal's earpads are super easy to change so it could be almost on the fly sound change. I know the damping might be slightly different but the rear grill mesh looks identical and you can see all the way through the driver housing so there can't be that much damping right? I do love my Elear's bass though.

Dec 15, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #41 of 2,030
Does it come with the carrying case as in Clear??

I have the Elear, but rarely listened to them as they feel too muffled to me and clamp is a bit tight.
So I guess this Elex would sound exactly the same as Elear with Clear pads?

Dec 15, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #42 of 2,030
I see the Elear is now '$799 at twenty stores' on Google shopping.

That's their good, but standard, sale price. I've seen them at that price a few times. I got my Elear from Adorama for $550 as an "open box" model. It arrived brand new, sealed, and unopened. I suspect it was listed as "open box" to circumvent Focal's MAP agreement. So I was half expecting the Elex to be $500-$700. I guess they didn't want to totally destroy their sale figures.

Dec 15, 2017 at 8:12 PM Post #43 of 2,030

I have the Elear, but rarely listened to them as they feel too muffled to me and clamp is a bit tight.

No carrying case, but a 2nd balanced cable is included. And nothing confirmed yet, but it does seem like Elear with Clear pads would be nearly the same, though there is supposed damping changes so hard to say for sure at this point until someone does a direct comparison.

Dec 15, 2017 at 8:14 PM Post #44 of 2,030
I see the Elear is now '$799 at twenty stores' on Google shopping.

One would still need to buy the Clear pads (I haven't seen them for sale but Elear pads are $150 and Utopia pads are $250) to aim towards a signature closer to the Elex.

The Elex doesn't include the carrying case the Clear does as one would expect for the Elex being 1/2 the cost of the Clear.

Dec 15, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #45 of 2,030
The Elex looks like it's going to be a hit for Massdrop. I bought the Elear last year new so getting the Elex is out of the question unless I feel like burning more money. I recently purchased True-Fi by Sonarworks. It flattens the curve and to could be an alternative to getting the Elex. It would be interesting to hear how an Elear with True-Fi compares in sound to the Elex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back