Massdrop x Focal Elex Review & Measurements
Feb 27, 2024 at 7:42 AM Post #2,026 of 2,030
You might be the first person I've ever heard call a stock Focal cable "good" (let alone, "quite good"). I mean, they're not as bad as some of the stock Hifiman cables, but for me and most others, the Focal cables are stiff and microphonic AF. Borderline unusable, especially for headphones in their price range.

What you describe sounds to me like the very definition of "subjective." If you were to try six different donuts back-to-back and then say the jelly donut is better than the other five, that is a subjective preference, not an objective one. As for me, I'm not a fan of silver cables for any audio application, and I know many others who feel the same. In my experience, silver cables screw with sound quality in unpredictable ways. But, of course, that's just my own subjective preference (as is yours).

Totally. If you're looking in the price range of that Tripowin (~$50), you can find a bunch of budget options in the cheap cable thread.
In terms of sound quality the stock focal cable better than other cheaper cables I've tested.

Not saying its great, like you said its microphonic and unwieldy.

The silver dragon cables are not actually pure silver, they're spc. I would say my wywires platinum cable is better overall than the silver dragon, this my objective opinion but I prefer the silver dragon because it gives me more body and thickness to the sound, that would be subjective preference.

I find that if its good quality pure silver and good quality connectors, its better and I know many others who feel the same as well. But good quality silver is very expensive and difficult to come by.

Feb 28, 2024 at 9:09 PM Post #2,028 of 2,030
Mar 27, 2024 at 11:58 AM Post #2,029 of 2,030
You might be the first person I've ever heard call a stock Focal cable "good" (let alone, "quite good"). I mean, they're not as bad as some of the stock Hifiman cables, but for me and most others, the Focal cables are stiff and microphonic AF. Borderline unusable, especially for headphones in their price range.

What you describe sounds to me like the very definition of "subjective." If you were to try six different donuts back-to-back and then say the jelly donut is better than the other five, that is a subjective preference, not an objective one. As for me, I'm not a fan of silver cables for any audio application, and I know many others who feel the same. In my experience, silver cables screw with sound quality in unpredictable ways. But, of course, that's just my own subjective preference (as is yours).

Totally. If you're looking in the price range of that Tripowin (~$50), you can find a bunch of budget options in the cheap cable thread.

Depends on your definition of "reasonably priced." I have a Norne cable that I use across all my 3.5mm-style headphones that I really like. Cost $250-ish. There are lots of cheaper alternatives, but you have to make compromises to comfort and build quality.

Thanks for the cable suggestions. Picked up a Tripowin GranVia, which I unfortunately ordered incorrectly with 2.5mm plugs. Linsoul won't exchange them since I opened the package and they also cited hygeine reasons. Was a bit upset with their response, but I guess it makes sense on reflection. Now need to track down someone in Vancouver that can re-terminate them.

Mar 27, 2024 at 5:05 PM Post #2,030 of 2,030
Tripowin grand via is good but tripowin altura is great !!!
IMG-20240324-WA0001.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back