Massdrop x Focal Elex Review & Measurements
Feb 9, 2024 at 4:06 PM Post #2,011 of 2,030
Now that it's been a couple of weeks since I got my Elex, I've started experimenting more thoroughly with EQ. I've found the stock tuning forward through a large chunk of the midrange (800Hz-2kHz). Mostly not a problem since the mids sound so nice, but with guitar-heavy music, these benefit from some tweaking to bring the low end and treble up into the mix. My tweaks are pretty close to oratory1990's EQ.

Curious what others might have done to EQ these.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2024 at 4:44 PM Post #2,012 of 2,030
Now that it's been a couple of weeks since I got my Elex, I've started experimenting more thoroughly with EQ. I've found the stock tuning forward through a large chunk of the midrange (800Hz-2kHz). Mostly not a problem since the mids sound so nice, but with guitar-heavy music, these benefit from some tweaking to bring the low end and treble up into the mix. My tweaks are pretty close to oratory1990's EQ.

Curious what others might have done to EQ these.
Hi Hypops Did you get these during the Headphones.com sale? I picked up one but still haven’t opened it, trying to make sure these work out of the box. It did say final sale, but not sure it applies to an unopened product.. I’m sure I’ll keep it, I just hate returning stuff…. 😀. For $419 it’s worth the hassle probably. Thx

Feb 9, 2024 at 5:02 PM Post #2,014 of 2,030
Btw; I too have the Elegia’s and really like them, another great deal at Audorama. Also around $400.
Elex + Elegia is a really great combo to have. Headphones sound signatures don't get much more different than these two

Feb 9, 2024 at 8:54 PM Post #2,015 of 2,030
Hi Hypops Did you get these during the Headphones.com sale? I picked up one but still haven’t opened it, trying to make sure these work out of the box. It did say final sale, but not sure it applies to an unopened product.. I’m sure I’ll keep it, I just hate returning stuff…. 😀. For $419 it’s worth the hassle probably. Thx
I did. And in retrospect, getting the Elex for $450 was a more bang-for-my-buck purchase than getting the HE6se v2 for $550. I like the HE6 well enough, but I really, really like the Elex. Ticks all the right boxes for me. Can't guarantee you'll like them as much as I do, but open them. They're good.
Elex + Elegia is a really great combo to have. Headphones sound signatures don't get much more different than these two
Agreed. I had seen reviewers comparing the two and expected them to sound much more alike than they do. They do share some traits in common (recessed treble, punchy but slightly rolled-off bass), but otherwise, yeah, they compliment each other well. Very different use cases too. I use the Elex at my desktop and the Elegia in public places (cafes, etc.).

Feb 9, 2024 at 9:16 PM Post #2,016 of 2,030
getting the Elex for $450 was a more bang-for-my-buck purchase than getting the HE6se v2 for $550. I like the HE6 well enough, but I really, really like the Elex. Ticks all the right boxes for me. Can't guarantee you'll like them as much as I do, but open them. They're good.
Everyone has different tastes and hearing... but, yeah, this!

Feb 13, 2024 at 11:09 AM Post #2,017 of 2,030
Hi all - I did write up comparing the Elex/Elear with Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pads vs Hifiman Edition XS

Hope it can be of interest to someone :)

https://www.headphoneer.com/hifiman...fenestrated-sheepskin-pads-comparison-review/

wp-1707745991822.jpg

Feb 25, 2024 at 4:54 PM Post #2,019 of 2,030
For those hearing a click in their pair of Elex and it can be recreated by shaking your head but not when your head is still, it’s due to tolerancing issues on the Focal logo insert. It’s plastic and the attachment method seems to be a lance type snap. I had the issue and I decided to take the side grill off with a star driver bit and fasten it in place with a bit of adhesive. Focal should revisit the design so that it’s more fault tolerant to tolerance issues.
Nice troubleshooting and reporting 👍 thanks

Feb 25, 2024 at 7:00 PM Post #2,020 of 2,030
Picked up a used pair last week and like them a lot. Yes of course they’re not as good as the Abyss 1266Tc or Utopia I used to have but they still sound great and are plenty good. Have tried them hooked up to iPad/Mojo 2 and my pretty maxed out (Innuous streamer, Farad PSUs etc) Chord Dave?MScaler. Strangely i way prefer them using the Mojo 2. Via the Dave they sound strangely closed in.

One thing….the cable(s) does suck. Any recommendations for an reasonably priced alternative?

Feb 25, 2024 at 8:35 PM Post #2,021 of 2,030
Picked up a used pair last week and like them a lot. Yes of course they’re not as good as the Abyss 1266Tc or Utopia I used to have but they still sound great and are plenty good. Have tried them hooked up to iPad/Mojo 2 and my pretty maxed out (Innuous streamer, Farad PSUs etc) Chord Dave?MScaler. Strangely i way prefer them using the Mojo 2. Via the Dave they sound strangely closed in.

One thing….the cable(s) does suck. Any recommendations for an reasonably priced alternative?
Depends on your definition of "reasonably priced." I have a Norne cable that I use across all my 3.5mm-style headphones that I really like. Cost $250-ish. There are lots of cheaper alternatives, but you have to make compromises to comfort and build quality.

Feb 26, 2024 at 2:37 AM Post #2,022 of 2,030

Tripowin-altura.

Feb 26, 2024 at 9:28 PM Post #2,023 of 2,030
Depends on your definition of "reasonably priced." I have a Norne cable that I use across all my 3.5mm-style headphones that I really like. Cost $250-ish. There are lots of cheaper alternatives, but you have to make compromises to comfort and build quality.
Thanks. Yeah its so subjective. I like the next poster’s suggestion.

Feb 26, 2024 at 10:00 PM Post #2,024 of 2,030
The stock cable is actually quite good albeit a bit short and unwieldy. Its better than some cheap cable you'll find on amazon.

A wise man once said, "One shouldn't believe in something simply because they want to believe it".

For those of us who have tested a good cable with this headphone, we know it enhances the capability of the headphone. While its understandable if you don't want to spend money on such things, then don't, but that doesn't change the fact of what it does.

I don't have this headphone anymore but I used my moon audio silver dragon with it. Its better, alot better than the stock cable. Thats not subjective, because I have it to compare to the stock cable amongst the other 6 cables I have in my inventory.

What would be subjective is someone who hasn't tested anything and has an opinion on something he hasnt tested.

Feb 26, 2024 at 11:50 PM Post #2,025 of 2,030
The stock cable is actually quite good albeit a bit short and unwieldy. Its better than some cheap cable you'll find on amazon.
You might be the first person I've ever heard call a stock Focal cable "good" (let alone, "quite good"). I mean, they're not as bad as some of the stock Hifiman cables, but for me and most others, the Focal cables are stiff and microphonic AF. Borderline unusable, especially for headphones in their price range.
I don't have this headphone anymore but I used my moon audio silver dragon with it. Its better, alot better than the stock cable. Thats not subjective, because I have it to compare to the stock cable amongst the other 6 cables I have in my inventory.

What would be subjective is someone who hasn't tested anything and has an opinion on something he hasnt tested.
What you describe sounds to me like the very definition of "subjective." If you were to try six different donuts back-to-back and then say the jelly donut is better than the other five, that is a subjective preference, not an objective one. As for me, I'm not a fan of silver cables for any audio application, and I know many others who feel the same. In my experience, silver cables screw with sound quality in unpredictable ways. But, of course, that's just my own subjective preference (as is yours).
Thanks. Yeah its so subjective. I like the next poster’s suggestion.
Totally. If you're looking in the price range of that Tripowin (~$50), you can find a bunch of budget options in the cheap cable thread.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back