Magni 3 Impressions
Apr 5, 2020 at 12:06 AM Post #2,522 of 2,593
Mine is just few days old but has a little bit of smell from the left side (Capacitor smell?) but not that warm to touch. back of the unit rattles a very bit if I shake it, clicks after turning on earlier than the mentioned 15-20 sec in the manual (or I misunderstood). I guess it's fine, I might ask them if the smell and rattle is ok or not.

I'm using it with low gain and volume between 8 and 9 o'clock, it's on for like 15 hours daily so I only turn it off for the night.

I think that smoking is no go and dangerous, your buddy should contact the manufacturer

Mine got a small pluff of smoke coming from the 2x 3r30 resistors next to the volume knob. It only smoked for a few seconds. Sound is fine so far but i feel unsettled...

I don't think you should keep yours on all the time. This thing is really warm and it would shorten life of the caps rapidly (every 10 degree gain, life decrease by half). Yours might end in 2-3 years. However I don't know if you expect to keep it that long.

Apr 5, 2020 at 12:09 AM Post #2,523 of 2,593
I told him to but both times it seem to work with no issues after.

Really, remove the top and check if any component is burnt. When it does burn... temp will go high enough to melt solder joints, which is close to ~300 C. Don't gamble.

Apr 6, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #2,524 of 2,593
The Modi 3 ONLY has micro USB in/out X 2.
I'm not sure what you mean.

MODI 3
Inputs: USB, Toslink SPDIF, Coaxial SPDIF
Output: RCA (single-ended)

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #2,525 of 2,593
Well, my Magni 3 has a hum. Really distracting. Still there even without a source, both channels.

Apr 7, 2020 at 12:21 AM Post #2,526 of 2,593
I'm not sure what you mean.

MODI 3
Inputs: USB, Toslink SPDIF, Coaxial SPDIF
Output: RCA (single-ended)

correct. The two micro USB connectors are power/data in (left), and power (right). And then there are the two TOSlink inputs...

Apr 16, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #2,527 of 2,593
Well, my Magni 3 was apparently out of warranty because I opened the top. I bought a JDS Atom. I am hearing things in songs that I haven't heard before. The sound is marvelous.

Apr 16, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #2,528 of 2,593
Well, my Magni 3 has a hum. Really distracting. Still there even without a source, both channels.

Still there if you have source connected? Magni doesn't have ground wire via power socket, you need to hook up a grounded source to keep the thing grounded.

Mine only hum if I turn up the volume under high gain.

BTW, I don't think they can tell if you removed the top...

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2020 at 12:10 AM Post #2,530 of 2,593
Still there if you have source connected? Magni doesn't have ground wire via power socket, you need to hook up a grounded source to keep the thing grounded.

Mine only hum if I turn up the volume under high gain.

BTW, I don't think they can tell if you removed the top...

Yep it is still there without a source connected. Bought a JDS Atom and haven't had any problems. Super clean output.

Apr 25, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #2,531 of 2,593
Today, trying to eliminate some cable mess on my desktop, I connected my little speaker monitor to the magni pre-out instead of using the monitor internal DAC... The speaker are B&W MM1, 10y old, out of production... Not the best monitor out there, but.... Youthful mistake....anyway...
WOW! the sound is clompletely changed.. It has earn body, is full, warm, with all the details of the Ifi nano dac.. I think I'll use the speaker a lot more, now.....

Apr 29, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #2,532 of 2,593
Just got the magni today for a vinyl/headphones only set up. I've got Pro-ject Debut -> Pro-ject Phono Box -> Magni 3 Plus -> HD600's. The sound is great, definitely better than my Cambridge Topaz amp, but it's lacking power for Sennheisers. I have to max out the volume on high gain to get to a good volume. Honestly, it's probably better for my ears that it doesn't get louder, but I'm eyeing something more powerful now. The Valhalla?

Apr 29, 2020 at 10:58 PM Post #2,533 of 2,593
Just got the magni today for a vinyl/headphones only set up. I've got Pro-ject Debut -> Pro-ject Phono Box -> Magni 3 Plus -> HD600's. The sound is great, definitely better than my Cambridge Topaz amp, but it's lacking power for Sennheisers. I have to max out the volume on high gain to get to a good volume. Honestly, it's probably better for my ears that it doesn't get louder, but I'm eyeing something more powerful now. The Valhalla?

Sounds like the output level on your phono preamp could be higher.

Does the phono pre you are using have adjustable gain? I know my Mani does. Magni 3 on high gain into a 300 ohm from a 2v input signal will be ear shatteringly loud. Loud enough to damage your hearing after only a few minutes of exposure, maybe instantly.

Edit - I see that your phono pre only does 500 mv output.

The Mani will do 1v rms output which is double the 500 mv of your output.

I suggest you think about a different pre amp.

The Valhalla has less output power into 300 ohm then the magni does.

Asgard 3 might work for you if you are set on keeping your pre and want a more powerful HP amp.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2020 at 11:17 PM Post #2,534 of 2,593
Sounds like the output level on your phono preamp could be higher.

Does the phono pre you are using have adjustable gain? I know my Mani does. Magni 3 on high gain into a 300 ohm from a 2v input signal will be ear shatteringly loud. Loud enough to damage your hearing after only a few minutes of exposure, maybe instantly.

Edit - I see that your phono pre only does 500 mv output.

The Mani will do 1v rms output which is double the 500 mv of your output.

I suggest you think about a different pre amp.

The Valhalla has less output power into 300 ohm then the magni does.

Asgard 3 might work for you if you are set on keeping your pre and want a more powerful HP amp.
Thanks, that's good advice. I didn't realize the Mani had that much output.

Apr 30, 2020 at 12:24 AM Post #2,535 of 2,593
Thanks, that's good advice. I didn't realize the Mani had that much output.

Now a disclaimer, I don't know what cartridge you are using. But each of Manis settings alters the gain.

Screenshot_20200429-232244~2.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back