Magni 3 Impressions
Sep 14, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #2,491 of 2,593
We have worked with customers who have customs or shipping costs to make sure they have a properly functioning product. Seriously, if you’re having trouble, contact us and I’m sure we can take care of you.

That goes for everyone with any one of our products.

Yeah, I have a problem with your products--they're too awesome, and I can't stop listening! XD

-Matthew

Sep 14, 2019 at 8:42 PM Post #2,492 of 2,593
We have worked with customers who have customs or shipping costs to make sure they have a properly functioning product. Seriously, if you’re having trouble, contact us and I’m sure we can take care of you.

That goes for everyone with any one of our products.
I'd like to say that Schiit's approach to DOA gear is absolutely industry-leading.

My Yggy A2 arrived with internal rattles (card dislodged during shipment?). Customer support provided an international RMA, return shipping for my bad unit and the replacement arrived within a week, without my having to pay goods and services tax again. Fantastic.

Sep 20, 2019 at 12:35 AM Post #2,493 of 2,593
I went from the Magni2U+Modi2U (akm 4396) to the Magni3+ModiMB and think that that combo was a good upgrade. I’ve since moved on to the Lyr3 and don’t really recall the exact differences, just that it was better in just about every way.
Didn’t mix and match so I don’t know how much of the difference can be attributed to the Magni3 and the ModiMB respectively.

Went down the following path. Below are my highly prejudiced and properly subjective opinions-

Modi 2U / Magna 3:
Very energetic slightly warm sound with perhaps a little brightness which incidentally really worked well with my HE 400i.

Modi 2U / Lyr3:
Sound is still energetic, but less compressed. The Lyr 3 lets you know the power is there even at low volume. Treble is slightly relaxed at the top, losing the bright edge. That can vary though depending on the tube. Soundstage is more focused.

Topping D50 / Lyr 3:

This combination removed some crunchiness from the mids, softened the treble slightly and added fine detail. I ended up putting in a little brighter tube to compensate but the sound is still a little softer overall, which to my ears sounds cleaner, more detailed, and more resolving.

Note that this is what I recall from the time when I A-B’d them against each other by switching cables.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2019 at 7:17 PM Post #2,494 of 2,593
My left earbud fades out in volume at random times and I have to either get the headphoe jack in and out, get the cable in and out, or just punch the thing to get it back. Man I really hope this is not malfunctioniong already, its been only 1 year since I bougth the magni 3.............

Oct 8, 2019 at 1:01 AM Post #2,495 of 2,593
My left earbud fades out in volume at random times and I have to either get the headphoe jack in and out, get the cable in and out, or just punch the thing to get it back. Man I really hope this is not malfunctioniong already, its been only 1 year since I bougth the magni 3.............

Fortunately, there’s a two-year warranty on it. Contact Schiit about it, they usually get back to you within hours (when I have asked them about things they’ve answered very quickly).

In the mean time; have you tried other headphones/earbuds? Same issue?

Oct 12, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #2,496 of 2,593
Guys,
I've just replaced my 15 years old power strip with a new one.
LOL, it does improve Magni's sound, sound much cleaner, less humping on high gain.
Slightly improved bass, less bright highs, better imaging as well, everything are just slightly improve about 10%.

Oct 12, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #2,497 of 2,593
Guys,
I've just replaced my 15 years old power strip with a new one.
LOL, it does improve Magni's sound, sound much cleaner, less humping on high gain.
Slightly improved bass, less bright highs, better imaging as well, everything are just slightly improve about 10%.

Tell us how big an improvement you get with no power strip at all.

Oct 13, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #2,498 of 2,593
Tell us how big an improvement you get with no power strip at all.
Tested by plugging directly into wall socket, can't hear any improvement :)

I had problem with using 110v-220v transformer too. Had been using Magni 2 Uber with 110v wall wart + transformer, Magni 2 Uber was sounded too thin and overly bright, lacked bass.

The different is night and day with my current 220v Magni 3.

I think bad power trip or transformer will affect the sound significantly.

Oct 20, 2019 at 6:25 PM Post #2,499 of 2,593
Fortunately, there’s a two-year warranty on it. Contact Schiit about it, they usually get back to you within hours (when I have asked them about things they’ve answered very quickly).

In the mean time; have you tried other headphones/earbuds? Same issue?

Yes, it's not an headphone or earbud problem. It's either:

1) the schmitt unit itself
2) the cable
3) the dac (I use an AK1)

can I flip the cables? there is one blue and one red, this one specifically:

https://www.amazon.es/Adam-Hall-K3TPC0100-Cable-macho/dp/B006H0E4YA

Oct 20, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #2,500 of 2,593
Yes, it's not an headphone or earbud problem. It's either:

1) the schmitt unit itself
2) the cable
3) the dac (I use an AK1)

can I flip the cables? there is one blue and one red, this one specifically:

https://www.amazon.es/Adam-Hall-K3TPC0100-Cable-macho/dp/B006H0E4YA

Yes, you can always connect the cable for the left channel output on the dac to the right channel input on the amp and likewise for the other cable. That will just flip the channels around.

If the problem now moves to the other channel the problem will be somewhere else than the amp. If it stays in the same channel the problem will be with the amp.

Nov 15, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #2,501 of 2,593
So i'm having a bad day right now.
My little niece unplugged my headphones by 2-3mm and it seems shorted the magni 3 for a while until it blew up..

If anyone could help me find the transistors for it i would be really happy. I'd love to fix it and not have a paperweight...

The transistors are A1552 (with an S and 6D) and C4027 (S and 6D)
I'd really appreciate any help regarding this. Budget's tight so new stuff isn't an option for the next 2-3 months as this was not planned :frowning2:

Nov 15, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #2,502 of 2,593
So i'm having a bad day right now.
My little niece unplugged my headphones by 2-3mm and it seems shorted the magni 3 for a while until it blew up..

If anyone could help me find the transistors for it i would be really happy. I'd love to fix it and not have a paperweight...

The transistors are A1552 (with an S and 6D) and C4027 (S and 6D)
I'd really appreciate any help regarding this. Budget's tight so new stuff isn't an option for the next 2-3 months as this was not planned :frowning2:

Contact amy@schiit.com and we'll either take care of it at no charge, or send you parts if sending in the Magni isn't an option.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Nov 15, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #2,503 of 2,593
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Nov 15, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #2,504 of 2,593
Modi 3: All The DAC You Need
Magni 3: Ready for any Headphones
(Both quoted directly from Schiit website)

I finally ordered my first true "stack" 2 days ago. I am excited to put them into action! I read on Schiit website BOTH Modi and Magni are currently in Version 3. Both of them, thats what I ordered directly from Scxhiit Audio. I am also pretty sure firmware updates are or will be available. Ive been doing this a while now but really must say...Having 2 matching components with 2 seperate power supplies is just fascinating to me. I realize this teeters on the edge of "entry level" based on pricing alone. The units are, however, anything but entry level! I realize too I could have spent much more, but why? From all over the web including pro reviewers in the industry to my colleagues here on headfi praise Schiit fairly well. The general consensus seems to be DAC's and Amp's from previous versions up to and through Version 3 both fare very admirably. The pricing structure is not as much of a concern for me as based on the quality of the gear! Being assembled, "Made In America" with US parts including a full 2 Year Warranty cannot be ignored either. From all I read (which was a lot for months!) and viewed they seem to be simple, clean and well made "industrial" design devices. Great specs including very high total output wattage just amazes me. This is exactly all I wanted. All the pieces of the puzzle seem to just, well, fit. I hope I am right!

:headphones: Interesting True Fact - Microphonics—the annoyingly audible rustling or thumping sounds that occur when headphone cables come into contact with external surfaces.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #2,505 of 2,593
I have the Magni 3 and i find it not bad.
It is suffisant for me.I think it.

2 month later i buy the Schiit Vali 2.
Many says Magni 3 and Vali 2 are same.
I find not.When i compare i find the Vali 2 with the right tube is beautiful,more clarity,more details and warmer as the Magni.
I find the Magni have a little more Base.But is to static for me of a side, when i campare it with the Vali.I miss a little bit the Vali 2 have.

But i have the two product from Schiit and can say i love this Shiit.I would not miss it.I am happy to buy it a little peace from Amercian sound.I love it.
The price is good and is not so Problematic as the Massdrop product.
For example the CTH in the rewies many have problems with it.With the Vali no i have it round about 2-3 month and never problems with it.
And cost the half of the price.
The only thing who Schiit is very crap is the transformator.It is powerfull okay but not beautiful.And need many place in the socket.
I find aschiit can it do better,a nother case perhaps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back