Magni 3 Impressions
Jul 11, 2020 at 9:55 PM Post #2,551 of 2,593
Impedance is only one consideration, the other is sensitivity. My DT 1990 is 250 ohms, but very sensitive at 102dB/mW. Low gain on the Magni 3 provides plenty of level and drive. The Drop 4XX is 35 ohms but only 93dB/mW sensitivity. The 4XX would benefit from High Gain.

How do you measure sensitivity? For k371 or 7510 for instance which are low impedance what should I use?

k371:

• Impedanz: 32 Ohm
  • Empfindlichkeit: 114 dB SPL/ V

• Impedanz: 24 Ohm
  • Schalldruckpegel: 108 dB
I mean, 102 and 93 aren't that fall appart? how do I know if its low or high?

Also, its ok to change impedance during playback, or should I power off the unit, change it then power again?

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #2,552 of 2,593
How do you measure sensitivity? For k371 or 7510 for instance which are low impedance what should I use?

k371:

• Impedanz: 32 Ohm
  • Empfindlichkeit: 114 dB SPL/ V

• Impedanz: 24 Ohm
  • Schalldruckpegel: 108 dB
I mean, 102 and 93 aren't that fall appart? how do I know if its low or high?

Also, its ok to change impedance during playback, or should I power off the unit, change it then power again?
Each 3dB increase requires double the power. Your headphones will definitely be best on low gain.

Jul 12, 2020 at 12:04 AM Post #2,554 of 2,593
So where is the line drawn? starting from what db is HI worth it?
It's not simply based on sensitivity or impedance, both factor in.

Impedance tells you how much output you need to reach a certain level (higher dB means louder for given input). Impedance affects how much voltage the amp can provide (low impedance means the amp can supply higher voltage, higher impedance lowers the voltage capability, which means lower volume capability).

The goal is to keep your volume potentiometer in a reasonable range. If the pot is set too low, i.e. below 10:00 o'clock, one channel may be louder than the other. This is especially true with the Magni, which has a very inexpensive potentiometer. Turning the pot too far can cause noise, although this is not a big factor with the Magni, which is very quiet. Ideally you select the gain that keeps the pot between 10:00 and 3:00.

Low gain is actually a slight bit cleaner than high with the Magni 3.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2020 at 12:06 AM Post #2,555 of 2,593
There's no need to turn off the amp to change gain. Just be careful not to overload the headphone when switching from low to high gain.

Jul 12, 2020 at 5:38 AM Post #2,556 of 2,593
When switching gain with music playing (from low to high) just remember to have the volume set to a level you know won’t be too loud on the high gain setting.. the same goes for changing headphones, if you change to a pair with higher sensitivity the volume will boost accordingly.

If you’re deciding between gain settings, give both low and high some time each and see if either one sounds more appealing to you. Some people find that one or the other sounds better.

As for the volume imbalance, it can be a problem when going very low on the pot but personally I’ve had no problem. With the Magni3 I’ve not been able to hear any imbalance even down to the lowest setting where I can still be hear the sound. On the Magni2U as I remember there was a very slight imbalance at the lowest setting but none where I usually listen. Using HD6XX headphones and usually listening on high gain at 8:30-9 o’clock on the pot.

Jul 12, 2020 at 10:11 PM Post #2,557 of 2,593
Impedance is only one consideration, the other is sensitivity. My DT 1990 is 250 ohms, but very sensitive at 102dB/mW. Low gain on the Magni 3 provides plenty of level and drive. The Drop 4XX is 35 ohms but only 93dB/mW sensitivity. The 4XX would benefit from High Gain.
And your ears will let you know. If you don’t have enough volume range on lo, go to high. Find what sounds best to you!

Jul 19, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #2,558 of 2,593
If I buy a motu M4, do you think it's worth it to continue using the Magni 3? I bought the Magni 3 mainly because of my 600 ohm DT770 which are now broken unfortunately. The rest of headphones I use I doubt I need an amp. Considering the M4 is (from what I've read) good to go with headphones, should I still route the headphones throught the Magni 3? I just don't want any possible extra coloring so im assuming the less you route the sound throught the best sound you get? Im going to mix and produce music so I want to get rid of as much coloring as possible.

Jul 24, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #2,559 of 2,593
What's a fair price for a Magni 3 with wall wart in excellent condition, just over 2 years old (out of warranty)?

Jul 24, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #2,560 of 2,593
What's a fair price for a Magni 3 with wall wart in excellent condition, just over 2 years old (out of warranty)?
Given Schiit new B-stock is 79 and there's a real scratch 'n dent C-stock at $69, I'd say 69 or thereabouts, assuming the case is pristine, but that's just me. YMMV.

Sep 28, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #2,561 of 2,593
I'd say it's very neutral, which is very subjective, with a touch of velvet sound. The two M3 go together very very well and are great allrounders. They have good clarity and clean sound. DS treble and solid state treble are not bothersome with these and they are also not murky or dull. Treble is a hair zingy but you might not notice this unless you heard very high end DAC/AMP offerings in comparison. Detail and low level information is quite excellent for the price actually and I find it pretty hard to name a serious upgrade unless you look way north 1k $. Plenty of sidegrades with different sound though. The velvet sound makes them a hair polite sounding and they are neither forward sounding nor laid back. Soundstage is a bit flat but it's still ok, if you listen to a classical orchester with solo violin piece the violin is place clearly in front and rest of the orchester around it. It's just not a holographc soundstage that you might get out of a Mulibit /Vali 2 combo neither the very precise 3D image a RME ADI 2 DAC and Phonitor X can present. A good spdif source helps soundstage a bit, Modi is excellent with USB though.
The Schiit 3 stack wouldn't be my first choice if you're mainly listening to Jazz with lots of sax or horns, it still can be a bit fatiguing there.

I have all 4 of Schiits "small" offerings and mostly use Modi Multibit and Vali 2 (with Senns HD6xx series of headphones) as these have more "soul" which works nice for the Jazz stuff I prefer and it's also great for pop, rock and classic. They lack the clarity and tightness in bass the Schiit stack 3 has though which are better suited for lots of hiphop and plastic pop and sometimes metal etc.

Any combination of the two Modi DAC and the Magni 3 or Vali 2 can service you a long way in the journey for good music. I wouldn't put too much money on measurements. :)

Bought a Schiit Magni 3 back in 2017 when it came out and have enjoyed it ever since. I use it with a Modi 2 Uber, LOKI Mini, and
EITR. A great affordable combo that really sounds nice with my planar magnetic headphones.

Feb 27, 2021 at 9:20 PM Post #2,562 of 2,593
If the regular Magni 3 has these specs:
Maximum Power, 16 ohms: 3W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 2W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 1.3W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 430mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 230mW RMS per channel

Then how much power can it have at 70 ohms? Is there a way to figure that out or do you have to guess? Regards

Feb 27, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #2,564 of 2,593
Read some different feedback about needed power to drive Lcd-2s. Some said you need 1-4 watts of output power at 70ohm. I read elsewhere just > .25watt

I want to hold off on buying a nice solid state balanced amp and then have to buy balanced cables for my headphones. So hoping just to use my Magni 3 for now or pick up a new 100-200$ amp

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back