Magni 3 Impressions
Feb 27, 2021 at 10:27 PM Post #2,566 of 2,593
Read some different feedback about needed power to drive Lcd-2s. Some said you need 1-4 watts of output power at 70ohm. I read elsewhere just > .25watt

I want to hold off on buying a nice solid state balanced amp and then have to buy balanced cables for my headphones. So hoping just to use my Magni 3 for now or pick up a new 100-200$ amp
I’m sorry, but did you just intimate that there was an Asgard 3 in your future?

Mar 1, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #2,568 of 2,593
I’m sorry, but did you just intimate that there was an Asgard 3 in your future?

Actually, I think the Asgard 3 might be the next step. I really appreciate your post. How well does it drive the LCD-2s? I just received them and the Magni 3 does drive them successfully - but I gather not to their full potential. Can the Asgard 3? How does that work - output power and the volume knob position? Would I be getting 2 Watts in to the LCD at easy listening volumes from the Asgard 3? I never understood the relation of output power and where I am on the volume knob.

Mar 2, 2021 at 12:18 AM Post #2,569 of 2,593
Actually, I think the Asgard 3 might be the next step. I really appreciate your post. How well does it drive the LCD-2s? I just received them and the Magni 3 does drive them successfully - but I gather not to their full potential. Can the Asgard 3? How does that work - output power and the volume knob position? Would I be getting 2 Watts in to the LCD at easy listening volumes from the Asgard 3? I never understood the relation of output power and where I am on the volume knob.
I was just drawing the next logical conclusion, but you’re welcome. I have Sundara, and we’re kinda in the same boat with Magni. The planars don’t quite reach their full potential. Asgard3 gives them the proper kick in the pants to sound beautiful. And I’d guess you’re right at the 2w point on the curve. I don’t know that anyone figures out the relationship between volume knob and power output. I’m more in the “does it sound great” camp, myself...

Jun 26, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #2,571 of 2,593
any one try Magni 3 driver iem 12Ohm - 115 dB yet ?
review, please !

I use my Magni 3 version 1 with BASN B Master Triple IEM's in low impedance mode, and the pairing sounds very nice. I believe the
BASN B Master Triples are about 12 ohms.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #2,572 of 2,593
How does that work - output power and the volume knob position? Would I be getting 2 Watts in to the LCD at easy listening volumes from the Asgard 3? I never understood the relation of output power and where I am on the volume knob.
The position of the volume pot has no direct correlation to the power the amp is producing. The input signal determines how high you need to push the volume for a comfortable level. Some DAC's output 1V, some 2V, others are variable. The level can also be adjusted by player software. The sensitivity of the headphones has an effect, more sensitive headphones will need less gain to get loud. Lastly, the low gain high gain switch on a Magni or Asgard affects the volume controller's position. As you can see, it is quite impossible to determine watts from the volume position.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #2,574 of 2,593
any one try Magni 3 driver iem 12Ohm - 115 dB yet ?
review, please !
You won't do any harm by trying, just use a little care. Use the low gain setting on the Magni, turn the volume controller to its lowest setting and plug in your iems. Turn the volume up very gradually.

The only issue with running the volume at a minimal position is that you may hear one channel louder than the other due to imbalance in the pot. What I do to get around low volume position is to set the amp volume pot at about 9:00, and adjust the control software to a comfortable level. Another way is to decrease the output of the DAC if it has variable level capability.

Jun 26, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #2,575 of 2,593
You won't do any harm by trying, just use a little care. Use the low gain setting on the Magni, turn the volume controller to its lowest setting and plug in your iems. Turn the volume up very gradually.

The only issue with running the volume at a minimal position is that you may hear one channel louder than the other due to imbalance in the pot. What I do to get around low volume position is to set the amp volume pot at about 9:00, and adjust the control software to a comfortable level. Another way is to decrease the output of the DAC if it has variable level capability.

Yes, the Magni 3 (version 1) works very well with the BASN B Master Triple in its lower impedance setting. There is too much noise when the high impedance setting is used on the Magni 3. Also, the BASN B Master Triple is a really nice sounding IEM.

Bought mine on sale for about $79 delivered and I'm really impressed with them. 😊

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2022 at 12:13 AM Post #2,576 of 2,593
To resurrect this thread, anyone upgrade from a magni 3 to a jotunheim 2, burson soloist, a90d, etc notice any significant difference? Im running my hifiman arya stealth with a magni 3, and using my rme babyface pro as dac which can eq the bass shelf up with no audible distortion and a lot headroom to spare on the high gain setting. I’m wondering if i would really get any benefit from upgrading, when the magni 3 already hits lord and sounds great? Thanks.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2022 at 12:44 AM Post #2,577 of 2,593
I have not owned a Jotunheim, but as you have admitted, your amp is not a bottleneck. I suspect that playing with DAC's to get different sound (not necessarily better as this is a matter of preference) before changing your amplification.

Sep 12, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #2,578 of 2,593
To resurrect this thread, anyone upgrade from a magni 3 to a jotunheim 2, burson soloist, a90d, etc notice any significant difference? Im running my hifiman arya stealth with a magni 3, and using my rme babyface pro as dac which can eq the bass shelf up with no audible distortion and a lot headroom to spare on the high gain setting. I’m wondering if i would really get any benefit from upgrading, when the magni 3 already hits lord and sounds great? Thanks.

"If it ain't broke don't fix it" 😉. I have a 5 year old original Magni 3 and still really enjoy it with my inexpensive planar
magnetic headphones (Hifiman HE4XX, Fostex T50RP MK3, Fostex TR60RP). I use the Magni 3 with a Schiit Lokius
tone control and the following dac's: Schiit Modius, Modi 2 Uber, AVA Insight Multibit, Entech Audio Number Cruncher 205.2,
and it works well with each of them. I also use a Schiit EITR as a USB to S/PDIF bridge for all but the Modius.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #2,579 of 2,593
Well. I have Magni 3 and Jot 2. Note that Magni 3 hasn't gone away since Jotunheim moved in, nor has Vali 2. But with planars like your Arya (which I don't have), Jotunheim has more soundstage and detail retrieval than Magni. With all that said, for most headphones, Magni can easily be where you stop (I did pick up an IE Magni from B-Stock, and I think it's cleaner sounding than the 3. But Magni has the headroom (again, on most cans, the exception for me is DCA planars) for darn near everything, and it sounds great. But there IS more to be had with Jot2.

But that's not the question. The question is, is it worth it? Most of us get the upgrade urge at one time or another. I have a great friend who still loves his Magni 2 Uber, and has stuck with it since he got it. I got a bug and grabbed Jot2. We're all different, but there's ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG with Magni 3 (or 2, or Heresy, or IE, etc.). Need does not enter the equation. Depending on where you are here in the Golden State, if it's easy for you to tote Arya down to Valencia, I'd do it. If you train up or down, the train depot is literally across the street, and if you're training from the north, you have a bus from Bakersfield that drops you off at the station, too. I'd say it'd be worth the trip.

I will say that Bifrost makes a huge improvement. But in general, if you say something is great, upgrading is a want, not a need. Big help, right?

Sep 12, 2022 at 10:08 PM Post #2,580 of 2,593
Well. I have Magni 3 and Jot 2. Note that Magni 3 hasn't gone away since Jotunheim moved in, nor has Vali 2. But with planars like your Arya (which I don't have), Jotunheim has more soundstage and detail retrieval than Magni. With all that said, for most headphones, Magni can easily be where you stop (I did pick up an IE Magni from B-Stock, and I think it's cleaner sounding than the 3. But Magni has the headroom (again, on most cans, the exception for me is DCA planars) for darn near everything, and it sounds great. But there IS more to be had with Jot2.

But that's not the question. The question is, is it worth it? Most of us get the upgrade urge at one time or another. I have a great friend who still loves his Magni 2 Uber, and has stuck with it since he got it. I got a bug and grabbed Jot2. We're all different, but there's ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG with Magni 3 (or 2, or Heresy, or IE, etc.). Need does not enter the equation. Depending on where you are here in the Golden State, if it's easy for you to tote Arya down to Valencia, I'd do it. If you train up or down, the train depot is literally across the street, and if you're training from the north, you have a bus from Bakersfield that drops you off at the station, too. I'd say it'd be worth the trip.

I will say that Bifrost makes a huge improvement. But in general, if you say something is great, upgrading is a want, not a need. Big help, right?
Thanks for your view. Yeah, I understand that amps can all be a personal thing when it comes to sound. I know the magni 3 can make my arya sound really good, but i wonder if a jot 2 or fully class A amp like the burson soloist will make them sound even better. I’ve heard people repeatedly say how planars benefit from powerful amps, even though something like the magni 3 seems to power them just fine. I will end up getting another amp at some point just to see for myself how it can affect the sound (placebo or not lol). My rme audio interface/dac sounds crystal clear, but i am also interested in trying an r2r like the bifrost 2 as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back