Magni 3 Impressions
Aug 3, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #1,802 of 2,593
How does Magni 3 work with high impedance headphones like HD650 ? Is it a good pairing

For me & my HD6xx, U’m very happy. The Magni 3 has a achiit ton more power than its predecessor, and sounds great with these cans in my opinion. Gets even better with a Loki in the chain...

Aug 3, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #1,803 of 2,593
It needs to be connected.

Thanks.
I can see that the Magni 3 works only via electricity(ac). The problem is that the area in which I live suffers from voltage fluctuations constantly. The voltage at times drops to 85-90 V several times in the day. Even a stabilizer can't rectify this issue as the tubelights keep getting slightly dim as the voltage fluctuates. With the stated problem of constant voltage drop( at times to 90 V) is it fine to get a Schiit Magni 3 that doesn't work independently as other portable Fiio amps do? I want to know if the Magni 3 could suffer sonically with such voltage fluctuations. I only care about sound quality and wanna use the Magni 3 only as an amplifier with my Fiio X5iii. Anybody any insight?

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #1,804 of 2,593
Thanks.
I can see that the Magni 3 works only via electricity(ac). The problem is that the area in which I live suffers from voltage fluctuations constantly. The voltage at times drops to 85-90 V several times in the day. Even a stabilizer can't rectify this issue as the tubelights keep getting slightly dim as the voltage fluctuates. With the stated problem of constant voltage drop( at times to 90 V) is it fine to get a Schiit Magni 3 that doesn't work independently as other portable Fiio amps do? I want to know if the Magni 3 could suffer sonically with such voltage fluctuations. I only care about sound quality and wanna use the Magni 3 only as an amplifier with my Fiio X5iii. Anybody any insight?
I don't know if the Magni will be effected by the voltage swings, but it might. You might need to just try it to find out. Other options would be to stick with battery powered units, or if you really want to resolve the problem in general, look at power regenerators.

Aug 4, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #1,807 of 2,593
I had issues with a scratchy pot for a little while and now it is dead silent. For me at least, it seems just using it clears it up.

Aug 5, 2018 at 2:08 AM Post #1,808 of 2,593
I had issues with a scratchy pot for a little while and now it is dead silent. For me at least, it seems just using it clears it up.

Lucky. Pot still crackles at 9-10 o'clock. The only negative to this amp for me. It's excellent in every other way.

Aug 5, 2018 at 4:38 AM Post #1,809 of 2,593
How does Magni 3 work with high impedance headphones like HD650 ? Is it a good pairing

Yes, it works great (using HD6XX, the Massdrop HD650 equivalent).

Aug 5, 2018 at 4:40 AM Post #1,810 of 2,593
Lucky. Pot still crackles at 9-10 o'clock. The only negative to this amp for me. It's excellent in every other way.

Try (with no music/sound on) to move the pot from min to max and back again 10-15 times. Might clear it up.

Aug 5, 2018 at 5:44 AM Post #1,811 of 2,593
Thanks. Maybe I will look at Fiio amps
Would recommend against any of fiio's own amp's, neither of them are even close to anything schiit makes. I would much rather suggest getting a car battery and transformer rather than a battery powered amp from fiio, as a portable unit aune b1s probably is the closest thing to magni quality for double the price.

Aug 7, 2018 at 10:16 PM Post #1,812 of 2,593
Try (with no music/sound on) to move the pot from min to max and back again 10-15 times. Might clear it up.

Wow. I can't believe that worked! I've had this thing for 6 months and never thought to try that. I'm dumb :frowning2:

Aug 7, 2018 at 10:21 PM Post #1,813 of 2,593
Over time it'll get scratchy again. For some reason it's just characteristic of the lower end schiit pot/volume knobs. Weirdly enough every Fulla 2 I've had has this issue but my Magni 2 is dead silent.

If doing full volume sweeps doesn't work, just pick up some electrical contact cleaner(NO RESIDUE ONES), take off the knob, spray the pot, and do a few sweeps. Repeat until pot is silent.

Aug 8, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #1,815 of 2,593
Guys, I just got my magni 3 and pairing it with my HD6xx I am very underwhelmed to the point I think there may be an issue with the amp. I am running it straight out of my macbook pro (no dac) with rca adaptor plugs. On high gain I have to crank it all the way to 3 o clock before i get decently loud sound.

Is it an issue with me not having a dac?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back