Magni 3 Impressions
Aug 8, 2018 at 6:31 PM Post #1,816 of 2,593
Well how loud have you set your macbook's volume?

Aug 8, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #1,817 of 2,593
Guys, I just got my magni 3 and pairing it with my HD6xx I am very underwhelmed to the point I think there may be an issue with the amp. I am running it straight out of my macbook pro (no dac) with rca adaptor plugs. On high gain I have to crank it all the way to 3 o clock before i get decently loud sound.

Is it an issue with me not having a dac?

What is the volume set at on the Mac or the player?

My Magni 3 will make my ears bleed with HD6XX's.

Aug 8, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #1,818 of 2,593
What is the volume set at on the Mac or the player?

My Magni 3 will make my ears bleed with HD6XX's.

Completely understandable response. I have double and triple checked that my Mac's volume was at max. I also tried other sources such as my ipad (again, with max volume) and iphone and the issue still persists. This magni 3 is actually a second replacement as the first magni was also experiencing the exact same issue with the power. This leads me to believe that there is something wrong i'm doing on my end (becuase, you know, what are the odds that both amps would be faulty).

These are the RCA plugs I am using, btw:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019D048XC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Aug 8, 2018 at 7:26 PM Post #1,819 of 2,593
Guys, I just got my magni 3 and pairing it with my HD6xx I am very underwhelmed to the point I think there may be an issue with the amp. I am running it straight out of my macbook pro (no dac) with rca adaptor plugs. On high gain I have to crank it all the way to 3 o clock before i get decently loud sound.

Agree with the others here. Max out your source's volume, let the Magni handle volume control. My HD6xx's will get insanely loud with my M3...
Completely understandable response. I have double and triple checked that my Mac's volume was at max. I also tried other sources such as my ipad (again, with max volume) and iphone and the issue still persists. This magni 3 is actually a second replacement as the first magni was also experiencing the exact same issue with the power. This leads me to believe that there is something wrong i'm doing on my end (becuase, you know, what are the odds that both amps would be faulty).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019D048XC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Just grabbed mine (plugged into USB of PC into Modi 2 and thence to the Magni 3 - I can't crank it on low gain with the 6xxs. Something's up... I'd try another cable before freaking out, though. Monoprice are fine and inexpensive, pretty sure they carry that config...

They do: Monoprice Onyx Series 3.5mm Stereo Male to RCA Male 3 ft for &.39 - 6 footer is 50 cents-ish more. Amazon Basics 4-footer is 6 bucks prime. I've no experience with that cable you're using. Someone else might.

Aug 8, 2018 at 7:37 PM Post #1,821 of 2,593

I am a firm believer in cheap arse cables....and have used those. Should not be an issue, but might be worth it to try another pair.

I am thinking like others that the output of the Mac is too low. I just ran my Magni 3 off the audio out on my crappy HP laptop and it gets way to loud for comfort just past 12.

Aug 8, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #1,822 of 2,593
I have HD6xx's. I drove my Magni 3 from my iPad for months before I bought a Mimby. 12 on high gain is super loud and the most I can handle for more then a few minutes. Some songs beg to be cranked higher, but to avoid ear damage I turn it back down after the song is over.

Aug 9, 2018 at 4:58 AM Post #1,823 of 2,593

You might want to adjust the output Volume on your Mac!

Aug 9, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #1,824 of 2,593

Most likely yes. Is you laptops volume turned all the way up? If so then laptop output power is just to low.

Aug 9, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #1,825 of 2,593

Should work without a dac (but I’d recommend one). Make sure your volume on the Mac isn’t too low (usually best to have the computer volume at max and do all the volume adjusting on the amp).

Aug 15, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #1,826 of 2,593

I had this problem and then realized the Magni 3 really needs a 2V signal coming in from the DAC otherwise it will sound anemic with the HD6XX. Not sure what voltage you get straight out of the MacBook Pro.... Try and make sure you have the max volume output from the laptop.

Aug 15, 2018 at 10:28 PM Post #1,827 of 2,593
I had this problem and then realized the Magni 3 really needs a 2V signal coming in from the DAC otherwise it will sound anemic with the HD6XX. Not sure what voltage you get straight out of the MacBook Pro.... Try and make sure you have the max volume output from the laptop.
Correct. And, you need to be aware that the volume control on the Magni 3 itself has had the logarithmic movement extended and smoothed to allow a finer gradation of volume than the previous models. I regularly run my 600ohm HD540 Ref1s at between 1pm and 3pm and the 300 ohm HD6xx, when I had them, wouldn't be far off that and with plenty of volume, depending on the recording level. That's using the Mimby.
I also occasionally run the a-gd R2R-11 as a DAC into the M3 with great results and loads of volume. Both DACs are excellent, just different flavours. Both are very musical bits of kit!

Aug 15, 2018 at 11:28 PM Post #1,829 of 2,593
Wanted to share and see what others have found - Magni 3 with tube buffer takes the sound up a notch!

As with many on this thread, I think the Magni 3 is a really top notch amplifier at its price point and competes well with amps quite a bite above what it costs. Since it has such a neutral, detailed and transparent sound I wanted to see the difference a tube buffer or pre-amplifier could make. .

So… I shelled out some dough and picked up and Ifi Micro Itub2 which has the GE JAN 5670. The GE JAN 5670 has some good reviews and is a 6922 predecessor. I initially debated getting the Saga instead, but decided on the Itube 2. Part of this is that I have an Ifi Micro BL DAC and have found that there tends to be good synergy between Ifi gear. I was not sure what to expect, plugged in the iTube 2 and let it warm up. I have read that it can take up to 40 hours for burn in, but I decided to have a listen at 6 hours. Well, I thought that the Magni 3 paired really well with the Ifi Micro BL DAC but the Micro iTube 2 takes things up a notch! The sound is smoother, more natural, more detailed, better instrument placement and base and depth to sound stage. All across the board the Magni 3 sounds really, really good with MQA off of Tidal with the iTube2 as a buffer (0 gain and - setting on tube which is akin to classic low distortion tube based studio equipment per Ifi). When I take the iTube2 out the chain the sound is definitely not as good.

Hats off to Schiit for making the Magni 3 able to pair well with lots of headphones AND with a tube buffer / pre-amplifier! :)

My current system is Computer > Ifi Isilencer > Anticable 3.1 Reference USB > Ifi Nano Galvanic 3.0 > Anticable 3.1 Reference USB > iFi Mico USB 3.0 > Anticable 3.1 Reference split USB cable > iFi Micro BL > Anticable 6.2 RCA > Ifi Micro ITube2 > Anticable 6.2 RCA > Magni 3 > Cardas Clear Light Cable > Hifiman Edition X V2

Have a number noise suppression and vibration dampening tweaks to enhance audio quality and noise floor. (ie: vibrapods, isilencers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back