Magni 3 Impressions
Jul 25, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #1,786 of 2,593
Well, the Deoxit worked...for a while. Then the scratchiness came back. Sent it off to Schiit, it returned 13 days later, and so far, no more noise in the pot (it's been about five weeks). I'm sure the potential exists for the noise to develop again; Alps makes good pots, overall, but these are their low tier offerings. If the noise does come back, I may just replace it with a higher-quality pot. On the plus side, nary a hiccup from my Vali 2. :metal:

Dunno if this could be a similar thing, but I had a scratchy pot issue on my Massdrop ODAC + O2 integrated dac/amp. When I turned the volume up and down a few times it seemed to cure it for a while. But it didn't exactly sound like a dusty pot either, was a bit more subtle than that.

Then I got a Topping D50 DAC and fed it to the O2 section of the dac/amp, and one of the first things I noticed was no more scratchy pot at all. Listened a few weeks and scratchy never came back. Made me wonder if Massdrop's implementation of the ODAC was problematic. That product has been discontinued and a new version with a Grace dac is sold by Massdrop instead.

Then I replaced the Massdrop dac/amp completely getting a Magni 3, and the combo of D50 dac and Magni 3 amp has a dead quite volume pot also.

Jul 25, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #1,787 of 2,593
Dunno if this could be a similar thing, but I had a scratchy pot issue on my Massdrop ODAC + O2 integrated dac/amp. When I turned the volume up and down a few times it seemed to cure it for a while. But it didn't exactly sound like a dusty pot either, was a bit more subtle than that.

Then I got a Topping D50 DAC and fed it to the O2 section of the dac/amp, and one of the first things I noticed was no more scratchy pot at all. Listened a few weeks and scratchy never came back. Made me wonder if Massdrop's implementation of the ODAC was problematic. That product has been discontinued and a new version with a Grace dac is sold by Massdrop instead.

Then I replaced the Massdrop dac/amp completely getting a Magni 3, and the combo of D50 dac and Magni 3 amp has a dead quite volume pot also.

That's what we in the electronics biz call, "FM" (eFfing Magic). :ksc75smile:

We might have different issues, though. I could hear the scratchiness with nothing plugged into the Magni 3 except the power supply cord and a set of headphones.

Jul 28, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #1,788 of 2,593
This brilliant article featured in the excellent enjoythemusic.com site explains beautifully ... and with great humour ... why I get so much enjoyment from my Sennheiser HD540 Ref1s/Mimby/Magni 3 set up, they do almost all of these qualities so well! The Audio-gd R2R-11/HD430s are close behind, only the quantity of the lowest bass stops them from being right up there. The quality of the bass is wonderful!
Well written by Douglas Brown of Novo High End.
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazi...ic_Qualities_Audiophiles_Critics_Look_For.htm

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2018 at 10:07 PM Post #1,789 of 2,593
My Magni 2 bleeds red like this, which the Magni 1 did not do if i remember correctly. Can anyone confirm if this is expected

IMAG0709.jpg
IMAG0710.jpg

Jul 29, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #1,790 of 2,593
I have a question for you guys.What are the line in spec's or better yet if anyone has fiio mk2 paired with it, is magni 3 capable of handling the line out load of fiio x7 mk2 without adjusting volume on fiio?
Um don’tthink line out levels are adjustable feel free ti correct me if I’m an idiot, though. My X5 mk II does wonderfully with my M3, though i prefer the coax iut into the modi 2 uber...

Jul 29, 2018 at 10:19 PM Post #1,791 of 2,593
My Magni 2 bleeds red like this, which the Magni 1 did not do if i remember correctly. Can anyone confirm if this is expected

Don’t know offhand. Give me an hour-ish, and when I finish this tenderloin and Castiro Tempranillo I’ll plug mine in and see!

Sounded awfully pretentious, but you don’t interrupt stuff this good!

Jul 29, 2018 at 10:38 PM Post #1,792 of 2,593

Might have been less than an hour, but YES, same orange-led glowing/bleeding a bit. Mine bleeds a tad less than yours from around the knob, though... The power LED still manages to overpower it, but I'm good.

Oh (addition), shoulda mentioned mine's an M2 Uber. doubt that it makes a huge diff, though.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2018 at 11:13 PM Post #1,793 of 2,593
Might have been less than an hour, but YES, same orange-led glowing/bleeding a bit. Mine bleeds a tad less than yours from around the knob, though... The power LED still manages to overpower it, but I'm good.

Oh (addition), shoulda mentioned mine's an M2 Uber. doubt that it makes a huge diff, though.
Thanks. I guess its ok and it looks cool as a bonus

Jul 30, 2018 at 2:34 AM Post #1,794 of 2,593

This is normal, it is an orange LED that puts a biasing current on the main amplifier components. If you peek through the grille to the left you can see there is another one; there is one for each channel.

They didn’t have to use LEDs for this, but I think it’s a nice and cool way to do it, kind of reminds somewhat of tube glow :D

Jul 30, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #1,796 of 2,593
My Jotunheim has that orange glow spilling out of the top vent holes too. The source is from 2 LED light sources coming from the board inside of it, however they don't appear to be as significant in intensity as with your Magni 3.

The white light also looks very, bright, so seems like at least in part due to camera exposure time.

My Jot MB is on now and the white light is bright, but the orange is visible from the top but not from the volume knob.

Jul 30, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #1,797 of 2,593
The white light also looks very, bright, so seems like at least in part due to camera exposure time.

My Jot MB is on now and the white light is bright, but the orange is visible from the top but not from the volume knob.
White light is not so bright in real life. I now actually like the red bleeding from volume knob, looks cool

Jul 30, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #1,798 of 2,593
Um don’tthink line out levels are adjustable feel free ti correct me if I’m an idiot, though. My X5 mk II does wonderfully with my M3, though i prefer the coax iut into the modi 2 uber...
Thanks, that pretty much answers my question. Both x5 3rd gen and x7 2nd gen have the same line out spec of 1.8vrms. Just needed to make sure it can handle it.

Aug 3, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #1,799 of 2,593
Hi. Does the Magni 3 work portably with a music player's line out like a Fiio A5 or does it constantly need a power supply? I mean to say can it work independently as an amp or does it need to be connected to an electrical socket to work?

Aug 3, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #1,800 of 2,593
Hi. Does the Magni 3 work portably with a music player's line out like a Fiio A5 or does it constantly need a power supply? I mean to say can it work independently as an amp or does it need to be connected to an electrical socket to work?
It needs to be connected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back