Magni 3 Impressions
Dec 4, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #1,068 of 2,593
Hi guys, I was thinking of getting the Magni 3 to replace my portable dac/amp setup. Unfortunately that would mean I’d need to use a 3.5mm to rca cable to connect the phone to the Magni.

I then looked at the modi2 as a dac, but it draws power from the phone. Not an ideal solution either.

3rd option is to look for a DAP with line out but that would likely cost more than the Magni+modi combined.

What do you guys suggest?

Dec 4, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #1,069 of 2,593
Fulla 2 instead of modi 2? Then you can use aux input while the fulla gets powered by a usb ac adapter. Or you can plug fulla 2 directly to your phone via otg and also use secondary power for less power draw.

Add a Magni 3 and you are good to go.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #1,070 of 2,593
It's because I intend to buy the RCA connector from Introprose, the one from the photo below:
P4250059-Edit-3_s_1024x1024.jpg

Except that the feet of Magni 3 are different and the vendor of this connector is making available the feet of the previous versions so that the Magni is aligned with the Modi, but I do not know how to remove the feet of the Magni 3 and put the feet of the previous version.
GetFileAttachment

You can probably remove the feet by pulling with needle nose pliers. The feet are likely held in by little push-in "mushrooms". Let us know what you see after you pull them out.

Older models had stick-on feet, and the heat those units generate sometimes melts the glue. But with that connector in place yours probably won't be moving around much, so the new feet will likely stay put.

Dec 4, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #1,071 of 2,593
Hi guys, I was thinking of getting the Magni 3 to replace my portable dac/amp setup. Unfortunately that would mean I’d need to use a 3.5mm to rca cable to connect the phone to the Magni.

I then looked at the modi2 as a dac, but it draws power from the phone. Not an ideal solution either.

3rd option is to look for a DAP with line out but that would likely cost more than the Magni+modi combined.

What do you guys suggest?

The Magni's RCA inputs are meant for line-level signals, not an amplified signal from your headphone jack. Sending the signal first to a DAC (connected to your phone with a USB OTG cable) is the way to go.

Yes a Modi 2 would draw power from your phone, but a Modi 2 Uber and Multibit would be powered by an external wall-wart. Those two do draw a little power from the phone to detect it, but not much. So I'd look only at the 2U or Multibit.

If that doesn't work for you, before buying a separate DAP I suggest you compare the many non-Schiit portable DAC/amps that can be carried around with your phone, from the AudioQuest DragonFly to the McIntosh MHA50.

Dec 4, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #1,072 of 2,593
Did anyone of you upgrade to Magni2/3 from a more weaker amp like the O2? if so did you notice much of a difference?

I finished a building a 'Heed Canamp' clone, its an old headphone amp that was released around 2007, regarded as pretty good at the time but seems extremely overpriced at $400 now with things like magni 3...

I definitely prefer it compared to my O2 with he400i's, has that head bobbing sound now and I can truly enjoy them (overdriven guitars finally sound right), but I dont know if its the increased power that is making the difference or the amp istelf.
its only around double the power of O2 while the magni 3 is even more powerful than that, I'd say I spent more on the project than the Magni3!

It was a fun project but it just feels like waste of time if all I needed was more power which the magni 3 gives for less and without the effort.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #1,073 of 2,593
You can probably remove the feet by pulling with needle nose pliers. The feet are likely held in by little push-in "mushrooms". Let us know what you see after you pull them out.

Older models had stick-on feet, and the heat those units generate sometimes melts the glue. But with that connector in place yours probably won't be moving around much, so the new feet will likely stay put.
Thanks for the help but I decided to use a mini rack:
HIFI-College-KGU12-Exquisite-acrylic-frame-HIFI-amplifier-amp-decoder-frame-rack-transparent-equipment.jpg

Dec 4, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #1,074 of 2,593
That looks very sweet!
I would just make sure to leave a bit of clearance between Magni's top and the glass just above it, for air ventilation. Other than that, it looks like a nice idea!

Dec 5, 2017 at 5:10 AM Post #1,076 of 2,593
Did anyone of you upgrade to Magni2/3 from a more weaker amp like the O2? if so did you notice much of a difference?

I finished a building a 'Heed Canamp' clone, its an old headphone amp that was released around 2007, regarded as pretty good at the time but seems extremely overpriced at $400 now with things like magni 3...

I definitely prefer it compared to my O2 with he400i's, has that head bobbing sound now and I can truly enjoy them (overdriven guitars finally sound right), but I dont know if its the increased power that is making the difference or the amp istelf.
its only around double the power of O2 while the magni 3 is even more powerful than that, I'd say I spent more on the project than the Magni3!

It was a fun project but it just feels like waste of time if all I needed was more power which the magni 3 gives for less and without the effort.
I don't think its the increase in power that is the difference but the basic sound signatures of the amps designs. While I haven't heard your amp I've compared the O2 to the Magni3 and your description of the sound from your HE400i and O2 pairing is what I heard also, lacks bass, rather thin over all sound and sometimes harsh in the highs. The Magni3 to me is slightly on the warmer side and a decent/good pairing for the HE400i and other headphones that can be considered slightly bright.

Dec 5, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #1,077 of 2,593
I don't think its the increase in power that is the difference but the basic sound signatures of the amps designs. While I haven't heard your amp I've compared the O2 to the Magni3 and your description of the sound from your HE400i and O2 pairing is what I heard also, lacks bass, rather thin over all sound and sometimes harsh in the highs. The Magni3 to me is slightly on the warmer side and a decent/good pairing for the HE400i and other headphones that can be considered slightly bright.
thanks for the reply, I would have never have bought the O2 if I had known how different solid state amps could be, the general impression I was given is that all SS sounded the same with slight difference in how they sound when pushed to their limits. Really nice to know this amazing new sound is my from my homemade amp's unique circuitry and not just the extra watts

Dec 5, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #1,078 of 2,593
Hey guys, anyone has experience using multiple drivers iem with magni 3? I want an amp for my Xtreme Ears XE4 custom iem, i heard older versions of magni was too strong for IEMs. This New version 3 is a good choice for IEMs? Thanks

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back