Magni 3 Impressions
Nov 27, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #1,051 of 2,593
I'm always serious. At least, that's what people tell me, but it's hard to tell whether they're being serious.

Anyway, I was assuming you were showing something like this recording of the output of a few "entry level" DACs, including the Modi Multibit, switching between the devices and a few different tracks. Which is a lot more useful to someone who doesn't already have a bunch of devices and fancy fast-switching equipment. Personally, I can't hear any differences, but I'm very much not a believer in most of this audiophile stuff, honestly.

(I'm sure you're going to tell me you need the actual devices to get their exact output, which is true to an extent; but if the cheaper devices produced unwanted artifacts or ruined the sound in some other way, that would show up in this sort of test.)

Nov 27, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #1,052 of 2,593
(I'm sure you're going to tell me you need the actual devices to get their exact output, which is true to an extent; but if the cheaper devices produced unwanted artifacts or ruined the sound in some other way, that would show up in this sort of test.)

You're quite correct. You wouldn't evaluate a color TV by watching a video of it on your color TV, would you?

The Modi Multibit is pretty damn cheap and therefore easy to evaluate. It's also pretty easy to return if you don't like it (you lose a 5% restocking fee or something like that to "borrow" it to try it out).

Try it. Try a friend's. Or just copy the link in case you get a chance to try one down the road. If cassettes and CDs sound identical to you, or you consider Apple earbuds to be high end audio, you won't hear a difference. But if you are more discerning than that, then maybe, just maybe you'll hear a difference.

I can't speak to the solder splatter on the Modi in the link you provided. Not pretty, but no solder bridges.

Nov 27, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #1,053 of 2,593
$250 plus tax and shipping for a more convoluted version of a relatively simple electronic device that's already in every computer and smartphone--except the ones with no headphone jack, those cram the same device inside a cable adapter--isn't what I would call cheap. Admittedly, it's a lot cheaper than their $2200 DAC-box the size of a printer, but that's a whole other level of ridiculous.

And, as I said, while you obviously can't hear exactly what some piece of gear sounds like without having it in front of you, a recording of its output should still show a difference between boxes... if there is a difference. If some of them do a measurably worse job, you should hear an effect even on a subpar system, analogous to lossy compression performed multiple times instead of only once. Heck, you could even route the output through the device again, to amplify the differences, make them more obvious.

I don't want to drag out the quadrillionth rehash of "audiophile equipment is a scam" versus "anyone who can't hear the nuanced disctinctions between this $100 brick and this larger $1000 brick is a philistine." When the DAC counterpart to my Magni gets here I can tell you what difference I think it makes, if any. If it's not substantial I'm sending them both back, and you can believe whatever you like about my inability to hear things.

Nov 27, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #1,054 of 2,593
I'm always serious. At least, that's what people tell me, but it's hard to tell whether they're being serious.

Anyway, I was assuming you were showing something like this recording of the output of a few "entry level" DACs, including the Modi Multibit, switching between the devices and a few different tracks. Which is a lot more useful to someone who doesn't already have a bunch of devices and fancy fast-switching equipment. Personally, I can't hear any differences, but I'm very much not a believer in most of this audiophile stuff, honestly.

Are you serious?

You listen to the track. You get to know it. You switch DACs and listen again.

This track is what gave me the WOW! reaction to the multibit DACs. As it turns out, Mike had used this album (this issue, this mastering) as a reference for one of the Theta Digital DACs.

So pick your DAC. Doesn't have to be Modi. If it's a 1-bit delta-sigma DAC, this recording will show you a difference. A big one. All you have to do is listen.
First, thanks for the link since I'm always looking for way to evaluate gear.

Tried the track out with my Bimby, UD-301, Modi2uber and old Bifrost Uber, its not a great track to me since there is not much in the way of giving clues to sound stage, layering of instruments and aside from cymbals/high hats there is not much to judge the timber of wood instruments like a well recorded/mastered large orchestra track or a live jazz/blues trio/quartet.
While I do notice a difference between my 4 DACs the differences are very small and it also depends on the headphone used and not easily noticed. With the track "so far away" I wouldn't call it a good "test" track. FWIW I even got my GF to do the switching between DACs and while I have returned my friends Magni3 I used my BH Crack with HD800 and HD650, Ember with EL-8 and Ypsilon R1.

Nov 27, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #1,055 of 2,593

Tried the track out with my Bimby, UD-301, Modi2uber and old Bifrost Uber, its not a great track to me since there is not much in the way of giving clues to sound stage, layering of instruments and aside from cymbals/high hats there is not much to judge the timber of wood instruments like a well recorded/mastered large orchestra track or a live jazz/blues trio/quartet.
While I do notice a difference between my 4 DACs the differences are very small and it also depends on the headphone used and not easily noticed. With the track "so far away" I wouldn't call it a good "test" track. FWIW I even got my GF to do the switching between DACs and while I have returned my friends Magni3 I used my BH Crack with HD800 and HD650, Ember with EL-8 and Ypsilon R1.

Well, it worked for me. I would certainly be interested in other suggestions. @Baldr , do you have any test tracks that work?

Nov 28, 2017 at 12:11 AM Post #1,056 of 2,593
$250 plus tax and shipping for a more convoluted version of a relatively simple electronic device that's already in every computer and smartphone--except the ones with no headphone jack, those cram the same device inside a cable adapter--isn't what I would call cheap. Admittedly, it's a lot cheaper than their $2200 DAC-box the size of a printer, but that's a whole other level of ridiculous.

Well, that's the thing. It isn't the same as a phone DAC. Now, if you can't tell a phone DAC from a regular Modi, then, yes, you should probably not proceed any further and save yourself the money. What's in the Modi Multibit (and in all the multibits with variations on parts, parts count, and programming) are industrial DACs. The one used in the Modi Multibit, the Analog Devices AD5547, lists as $18 each in bulk quantity. The filters aren't off the shelf -- they're running Schiit's firmware using an AD8512. (Part numbers from Schiit's page.)

The point is, we're talking about a whole other animal than what's in your cell phone.

But the thing is, if you can't tell a cell phone DAC from another, not even very INexpensive one (Like a Modi 2 or a Fulla 2), then don't worry about it and enjoy your cell phone audio. But, fair warning -- this is probably not the sort of place you'll find people with the same taste.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #1,057 of 2,593

I guess I should say again that what I focused on was the tambourine. It jumped out as very clear and natural sounding with the multibit.

Dec 3, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #1,064 of 2,593
Not sure you can: they're built in and are not the usual stick-on feet
It's because I intend to buy the RCA connector from Introprose, the one from the photo below:
P4250059-Edit-3_s_1024x1024.jpg

Except that the feet of Magni 3 are different and the vendor of this connector is making available the feet of the previous versions so that the Magni is aligned with the Modi, but I do not know how to remove the feet of the Magni 3 and put the feet of the previous version.
GetFileAttachment

Users who are viewing this thread

Back