"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Oct 18, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #1,531 of 6,388
Quote:

Just to be sure, are you getting a good seal?  I know I did a test with them by putting them around my knee and turning them up louder than I could stand (and I tend to listen loud).  I couldn't really hear a thing.  I'll repeat this test tomorrow, but I definitely didn't get the same result.

Edit: I'd also PM Dan to see if he has any suggestions.  If it is a seal issue, I know you can slightly bend the headband to increase the clamping force a bit - just be careful.

Great. Now not only is Dan gonna have to highlight the LINEAR performance of this headphone,
but also mention, it's NOT a COMPLETELY isolating headphone. Oh joy. 
tongue.gif

DISCLAIMER, DISCLAIMER, DISCLAIMER.

Oct 18, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #1,535 of 6,388
Quote:
Interesting, perhaps I got the wrong pads. I know I ordered the right pads, but perhaps something got mixed up. Perhaps I should tighten them? I really don't know what the deal is.

It'd be more helpful if you described exactly what's wrong with the isolation/leakage. Maybe they are working just fine, it's just that they don't fit
your needs...

Oct 18, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #1,536 of 6,388
Well I was about 5 feet from my friend, and I could hear the music quite well. He wasn't complaining about the music volume so it musn'tve been to loud. Also when I put it on me he said he could hear it well. So atleast I know that's not how they're supposed to be, because once I fix them they'll be my perfect headphones I think!

When I say isolation the problem is that other people can hear it.

Oct 18, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #1,537 of 6,388
Quote:
Well I was about 5 feet from my friend, and I could hear the music quite well. He wasn't complaining about the music volume so it musn'tve been to loud. Also when I put it on me he said he could hear it well. So atleast I know that's not how they're supposed to be, because once I fix them they'll be my perfect headphones I think!

When I say isolation the problem is that other people can hear it.

I guess it's interesting. I still can't see exactly how the isolation would be faulty. It would seem if something was so off about the isolation
that the SQ would be wonky as well, no?

Yea, I got that. Just list it as isolation/leakage.

Oct 18, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #1,539 of 6,388
I misunderstood clairyvic's issue to be sound leaking in.  I honestly have not tested sound leaking out.  I generally use them at work, and we have separate (but equal...) cubicles, so no one hears my headphones.  I do know that people have to speak much more loudly, touch a shoulder or something to get my attention - more so than with my DT1350's.  Sound isolation as far as outside noise leaking in is great - very well isolated.

I have read a couple of posts describing a poor fit and bad seal.  Dan has a method of slightly bending the wire band in the headphone.  clairyvic - I recommend a quick PM to Dan - he is very helpful.  I think he said he was out of pocket for the next 4 days or so, so I wouldn't expect an answer before mid next week.  In general, he is really good about getting back to PM's and emails though.  Really good about it.  Also skim back a dozen or less pages, I think a similar issue was discussed.

Oct 18, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #1,540 of 6,388
Quote:
I misunderstood clairyvic's issue to be sound leaking in.  I honestly have not tested sound leaking out.  I generally use them at work, and we have separate (but equal...) cubicles, so no one hears my headphones.  I do know that people have to speak much more loudly, touch a shoulder or something to get my attention - more so than with my DT1350's.  Sound isolation as far as outside noise leaking in is great - very well isolated.

I have read a couple of posts describing a poor fit and bad seal.  Dan has a method of slightly bending the wire band in the headphone.  clairyvic - I recommend a quick PM to Dan - he is very helpful.  I think he said he was out of pocket for the next 4 days or so, so I wouldn't expect an answer before mid next week.  In general, he is really good about getting back to PM's and emails though.  Really good about it.  Also skim back a dozen or less pages, I think a similar issue was discussed.

Yea. That's why I tried to emphasis isolation and leakage.

Oct 18, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #1,542 of 6,388
Just last night when I was at a print shop with my friend, I tested sound leakage. I play some music at a high level listening volume; almost maxed out on the DAP. I asked my friend about any leak, and he said there is a leak but relatively little in amount. So I guess when listening to the MD at a low level volume, the sound leak should not be a problem.

@ clairyvic: maybe you can make a video to analyze how bad is your case of leakage; also include info on your song of choice and listening volume settings.

Oct 19, 2012 at 4:25 AM Post #1,543 of 6,388
My mind is really confused. I targeted myself to buy Hifiman HE400 due to the excellent (peoples say so) soundstage and quality and clarity of the sound. But the main lack of this phone for me is sound leakage. ı want to use my can at the coffee, plane, office exc. While I was looking at the forums how much sound leakage, I saw that somebody advised MrSpeakers Mad Dog, after I dig it I found myselt very close to buy it. But I don't wanna be sorry to not buy a He-400. I live in outside US and I have no many chance to buy another one. 

So please advise me about Hifiman HE400 or MrSpeakers Mad Dog. Which one is better abot my usage. I listen alternative rock, rock, Coldplay, The Cure exc., also Jazz and baroque music. 

I have a car so generally I don't use public transportation except plane. But I want to listen my music while I'm drinking coffee at Starbucks.

Which one is correct choice ?
(I've already use ATH M50)

If you already have M50's then why not have those for travel and the HE's for home use? Am I missing something here?

Oct 19, 2012 at 5:43 AM Post #1,544 of 6,388
Quote:
If you already have M50's then why not have those for travel and the HE's for home use? Am I missing something here?

Right. I thought that option but in this case, I can not sell my M50 which I can sell it 130 USD in Turkey.

HE400 (400 USD ) + M50 (130 USD) = Perfect sound + acceptable portable sound for 530 USD. vs Mad Dog (314 USD) = X sound on everwhere.

530 - 314 = 216 USD
So main problem is : is it worth to pay it ? 2 people have been talking in my mind for a week, one says : not worth it, just buy Mad Dog and enjoy it. The other one says you will always wonder about how HE400 good is. So buy it now.

Of course Mad Dog is logical way (may be). 

Actually the another option is I will buy Mad Dog and after one or two years later I can buy HE500 for home usage.

I wish to listen both of them and let my ears choice it. But I have no chance. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back