"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Oct 19, 2012 at 8:30 AM Post #1,546 of 6,388
Quote:
How is the bass impact compared with AKG K701?

I haven't listened to the AKG K701, but I have listened to the Q701 which if I recall is supposed to have more bass than the K701.  The Mad Dogs have better bass than the Q701.  I'd say its a couple of notches up in terms of overall bass impact, but the QUALITY of the bass seems to be much better on the Mad Dogs.  

I would never use the Q701 for a bass application after hearing such headphones as the HD-800, the HE-500, HE-6, and LCD-2.   However, I would use the Mad Dogs.

The Mad Dogs are not on the same level as the Q701 when it comes to sound stage and detail.  I hear things on the Q701 that I can not hear on any other headphone except for the HD-800s.

Oct 19, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #1,547 of 6,388
How is the bass impact compared with AKG K701?

Quote:

I haven't listened to the AKG K701, but I have listened to the Q701 which if I recall is supposed to have more bass than the K701.  The Mad Dogs have better bass than the Q701.  I'd say its a couple of notches up in terms of overall bass impact, but the QUALITY of the bass seems to be much better on the Mad Dogs.  

I would never use the Q701 for a bass application after hearing such headphones as the HD-800, the HE-500, HE-6, and LCD-2.   However, I would use the Mad Dogs.

The Mad Dogs are not on the same level as the Q701 when it comes to sound stage and detail.  I hear things on the Q701 that I can not hear on any other headphone except for the HD-800s.

I actually don't believe the K701's are that bad in terms of the quality of the bass (speed, tone, articulation); they're just rolled off.  The Mad Dog is definitely not rolled off.  If you're looking for high quality bass with and not over-emphasized bass, I think you'll enjoy the sound signature of the Mad Dogs.

Edit: To actually answer your question, the impact is much better than the 701's.  There are certainly cans that provide more bass impact, but you'll either spend more money or lose a neutral frequency response.

Oct 19, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #1,548 of 6,388
I figure I'll chime in. I also have the Q701 and Mad Dogs (MD are going to get Dog Pads next week). The Q701 bass is rolled off compared to the MD, but it otherwise decent - there's detail and texture to the bass. In terms of soundstage, the Q701 is taller and wider - more space between instruments.

But I'm not hearing more details on the Q701 compared to the MD. The MD are very detailed with very good imaging even when I compared them to high end headphones like the LCD3 or the Symphones Magnum (LCD3 are sold but I can still A/B with the Magnums. The MD don't omit anything). I'm not missing any information with them - the information is just more compacted together in the soundstage compared to the Q701

Oct 19, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #1,550 of 6,388
Quote:
. I'm not missing any information with them - the information is just more compacted together in the soundstage compared to the Q701

Is that due to the size of the driver? Or pos difference in speaker to ortho? I have never had ortho's before and am looking to try. The question or rather A-B testing I want to see is between MD $314 (top of range), Mayflowers 50's $196 (top of range) and a 50 that has had the "basic" or home mod package put on it $140 ish?

There is not a cat in hells chance of me finding a guy or guys in the UK that have these to try but poss some the USA brethren may be able to answer that? Sorry if I'm diluting the thread somewhat but I REALLY want some MD's but need to warrant a few things.

1. Selling my RS-1's (with silver dragon cable, only want to sell due to needing closed backs, though if I get an offer on my liver, that will go 1st)
2. Paying the extra for MD's over the Mayflower or home modded versions.

This is a question I just can't get the answer to without me spending more money than I can afford to. So if anyone has answers, prey tell!

Oct 19, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #1,551 of 6,388
Quote:
Is that due to the size of the driver? Or pos difference in speaker to ortho? I have never had ortho's before and am looking to try. The question or rather A-B testing I want to see is between MD $314 (top of range), Mayflowers 50's $196 (top of range) and a 50 that has had the "basic" or home mod package put on it $140 ish?

It all depends on the "voicing" you like. Different mod approaches mean different sound produced. Still most of the modders strive to get rid of resonances and bring a more "neutral-like" signature. In my opinion on why would I go with the MDs instead of the MayFlowers? Support and testing methodology. Dan measures every unit that goes out of his store and if something is not good, he fixes it. If some of them make it out of the gate, he contacts people affected and fixes any issues. Also, he responds fairly fast to emails/pm's. According to the Mayflower site, they don't even test the headphones objectively, so you might be taking a chance if the headphone doesn't sound as good as you'd hope... still your EARS are the judge, but I'd select a "sure thing" first...

Regarding making the mods yourself, it's a doable thing. You just need time to not only work on it but to go through the threads in order to follow instructions to properly mod them and test, test, test...

I'm lazy... (heck, I have a Stock t50rp somewhere around the house as I never got to do anything to it... planned on sending it to LFF but still haven't had a chance.) so I doubt I'll be modding the headphones or buying a kit etc.

Oct 19, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #1,552 of 6,388
Quote:

I'm not sure if the size of the driver is directly related to soundstage size (But the Fostex T50RP driver is pretty small compared to hifiman or Audeze cans). From my limited experience, headphones with open backs and drivers located farther away from the ear tend to have larger soundstages. (main reason why the Grado GS1000 has a bigger soundstage than the Grado RS1. Or why the RS1 with bowls has a slightly bigger soundstage than with flat pads)

The Mad Dogs are closed and the Shure pads keep the driver pretty close to the ear. From the looks of it, the Dog Pads move the driver slightly further away as they seem thicker, so that may help increase soundstage and the distance in between instruments. the Mad Dogs certainly have a very precise imaging and instrument placement. It's just that these separate "slices" of the music are located somewhat close together

Oct 19, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #1,553 of 6,388
Are the Mad Dogs good with classical? This has been my latest music endeavor and have been enjoying it quite thoroughly so far.

Oct 20, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #1,556 of 6,388
Quote:
Yes IMO. Good instrument separation and speed which is important for much of the classical that I listen to. 

Yay, thank you for the help
biggrin.gif

Oct 20, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #1,560 of 6,388
Today I had the chance to try the HRT Music Streamer II and Music Streamer II+ with my Mad Dog and Sansui AU-2200. I really enjoyed the MSII+ since it produced smoother sound than the MSII. I am considering to buy this DAC to complete my home setup with the MD.

The MSII on the other hand made the sound thinner but there was also a bit of agressiveness to the sound. A friend of mine who's also at the audition prefer the MSII over the MSII+ to pair with the MD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back