"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Oct 21, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #1,576 of 6,388
Yeah, I think it may haves to do with the lack of power from my amp. I have not looked into Grados.

Please tell what I would like about them. I'm also looking into that one vmoda crossfade and ATH-A900X and HD25's and FA-003's but especially the ATH-A900x's. I heard the soundstage in the HD25's is bad, and i'm afraid the largeness of the FA-003's will make the music seem distant, the crossfade leaks alot or so i'm told. The A900X leaks a lot also and that's a very important factor.

I just want something musical and warm that's well rounded, and doesn't leak much, is that how Grodos sound?

Oct 21, 2012 at 3:33 AM Post #1,577 of 6,388
Quote:
So, you just gotta jam the big end in there? Any other even across the spectrum, slightly tilted twords bass, detailed , musical hp's with not much leakage?

I didn't jam anything. The plug just fit perfectly. It's a cheap mini to mini plugged to an extension cable. The one that goes to the headphone is the mini to mini, the extension's plug housing is a bit too big to fit in the port.

Not sure about even across the spectrum, but slightly toward bass, quite detailed and musical from my experience would be the v-moda m-80. the beyerdynamic dt770/80ohm was also quite pleasing if you seek for bass.

Quote:
Yeah, I think it may haves to do with the lack of power from my amp. I have not looked into Grados.

Please tell what I would like about them. I'm also looking into that one vmoda crossfade and ATH-A900X and HD25's and FA-003's but especially the ATH-A900x's. I heard the soundstage in the HD25's is bad, and i'm afraid the largeness of the FA-003's will make the music seem distant, the crossfade leaks alot or so i'm told. The A900X leaks a lot also and that's a very important factor.

I just want something musical and warm that's well rounded, and doesn't leak much, is that how Grodos sound?

grados will leak sound. imho, fa003 have decent sound stage, good isolation, and quite neutral. to add bass, if it's not enough, pair it with a digizoid zo.

however, for that relaxing sensation after coming home from work, i'd still choose MD with Dog Pads. pair it with a warm solid state amp and it's good to go. add a smooth DAC to compliment the cleanness of planar, then you've got an excellent setup (at least for me).

Oct 21, 2012 at 3:43 AM Post #1,578 of 6,388
Quote:
I didn't jam anything. The plug just fit perfectly. It's a cheap mini to mini plugged to an extension cable. The one that goes to the headphone is the mini to mini, the extension's plug housing is a bit too big to fit in the port.

Not sure about even across the spectrum, but slightly toward bass, quite detailed and musical from my experience would be the v-moda m-80. the beyerdynamic dt770/80ohm was also quite pleasing if you seek for bass.

grados will leak sound. imho, fa003 have decent sound stage, good isolation, and quite neutral. to add bass, if it's not enough, pair it with a digizoid zo.

however, for that relaxing sensation after coming home from work, i'd still choose MD with Dog Pads. pair it with a warm solid state amp and it's good to go. add a smooth DAC to compliment the cleanness of planar, then you've got an excellent setup (at least for me).

It's interesting how you choose the MD for when you want to relax. I say this because i have different playlists that i listen to during the day and night. During the night i play relaxing music, something that would put me to sleep and not keep me awake. Some ambient music, slow paced with no harsh tones. I suppose the MD would work well here.

But during the day it's quite the opposite. I play some high paced music. Maybe rock, drum n bass, hip hop etc. Usually at higher volumes too. Would the mad dogs be suited to this? Other planars like the LCDs and Hifimans are known for they're forward, life-like, liquid mids. Do the Mad dogs also have these? I would quite enjoy this type of presentation since vocals are a big aspect of the music to me.

It's just that im getting close to pulling the trigger. I want these to be perfect for me :)

Oct 21, 2012 at 4:07 AM Post #1,579 of 6,388
Quote:

It's interesting how you choose the MD for when you want to relax. I say this because i have different playlists that i listen to during the day and night. During the night i play relaxing music, something that would put me to sleep and not keep me awake. Some ambient music, slow paced with no harsh tones. I suppose the MD would work well here.

But during the day it's quite the opposite. I play some high paced music. Maybe rock, drum n bass, hip hop etc. Usually at higher volumes too. Would the mad dogs be suited to this? Other planars like the LCDs and Hifimans are known for they're forward, life-like, liquid mids. Do the Mad dogs also have these? I would quite enjoy this type of presentation since vocals are a big aspect of the music to me.

It's just that im getting close to pulling the trigger. I want these to be perfect for me :)

my definition of relaxing is not exactly to put me to sleep. just enough to get the tension of work off of my head. my playlist are also of mixed genre.

from my experience, the Mad Dog sounded best with jazz and vocal oriented music. Other genre that you've mentioned can be fun, though you will notice the lack of sub bass. YMMV, depending on your setup. This is not a bass oriented headphones, though the Dog Pads do improve the bass response.

i know this will sound cliche, but no headphones are perfect until we tweak the rest of the setup to our preferences.

Oct 21, 2012 at 4:39 AM Post #1,580 of 6,388
The cable port on the MD's left cup is tricky alright. The v-moda cable is one of the few that fits. I made a simple & quick DIY-ish cable myself and thank God one end fits in.
I believe the MD is a musical headphone but not bass heavy. Reading your description, I'm guessing that you want a big sounding headphone, like a Magnum or Senn HD25-1. I've never auditioned the audinst that you're using so can't comment on that. ALO National paired nicely with the MD though.

Try AIAIAI website. They have good cables with thin angles jack. And we'll priced.

Oct 21, 2012 at 4:44 AM Post #1,581 of 6,388

If you have no luck with the MD's ill gladly do some kind of trade for modded sr225,s (the ones in my avatar pic).

I have modded RS1's so I don't use these much but want to try the MD's

Just a thought.

Oct 22, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #1,582 of 6,388
I didn't really like the 45 degree angle of the V-MODA headphones plug when used with the Mad Dogs, so I removed it and soldered on a 1/8" right angle Neutrik plug. The opening around the 1/8" jack required some careful enlarging with a sharp #11 X-Acto blade (hobby knife).

I'm pleased with the result, and I think the red and black cable looks great with the Mad Dog's red, black, and white logo too. However, be forewarned if you want change the plug like I did on this cable: it's a real pain to solder.

The hair-like, fine conductors in each of the three wires (L, R, and ground) are enamel coated/insulated similar to some microphone cables I've seen. You need to remove the enamel prior to soldering using an appropriate method. These conductors are not constructed in a Litz wire fashion, but if you Google "Litz wire soldering" you can read about various soldering approaches. I use a small home made solder pot heated by a butane torch to get the enamel off the ends of every strand. After the wire is prepped properly it's ready for soldering on the new plug.

Oct 22, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #1,583 of 6,388
Quote:
I didn't really like the 45 degree angle of the V-MODA headphones plug when used with the Mad Dogs, so I removed it and soldered on a 1/8" right angle Neutrik plug. The opening around the 1/8" jack required some careful enlarging with a sharp #11 X-Acto blade (hobby knife).

I'm pleased with the result, and I think the red and black cable looks great with the Mad Dog's red, black, and white logo too. However, be forewarned if you want change the plug like I did on this cable: it's a real pain to solder.

The hair-like, fine conductors in each of the three wires (L, R, and ground) are enamel coated/insulated similar to some microphone cables I've seen. You need to remove the enamel prior to soldering using an appropriate method. These conductors are not constructed in a Litz wire fashion, but if you Google "Litz wire soldering" you can read about various soldering approaches. I use a small home made solder pot heated by a butane torch to get the enamel off the ends of every strand. After the wire is prepped properly it's ready for soldering on the new plug.

Good work, looks sharp

Oct 22, 2012 at 3:32 AM Post #1,585 of 6,388
Indeed.  Nice pictures. :)

Oct 22, 2012 at 7:39 AM Post #1,586 of 6,388
Hey all,

Long time lurker, first time poster... I wanted to thank everyone for their posts and thoughts on the Mad Dogs. I've been looking closed full size cans as a step up to my ATH M50s for a while and based on posts here and elsewhere on head-fi I decided on the Mad Dogs and put in my order last night. 

BTW- a close second to purchase instead of the MD was the AKG 550. The mid spike on those just makes me cringe when it does hit otherwise I do really like them. Since I can purchase and return to Best Buy I'll threaten to try and do a side by side comparison to give myself incentive to stay active here. 

Thanks in advance for the concerns regarding my wallet. We lurkers do appreciate the conversation even if we don't usually take part.

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #1,587 of 6,388
Quote:
Hey all,

Long time lurker, first time poster... I wanted to thank everyone for their posts and thoughts on the Mad Dogs. I've been looking closed full size cans as a step up to my ATH M50s for a while and based on posts here and elsewhere on head-fi I decided on the Mad Dogs and put in my order last night. 

BTW- a close second to purchase instead of the MD was the AKG 550. The mid spike on those just makes me cringe when it does hit otherwise I do really like them. Since I can purchase and return to Best Buy I'll threaten to try and do a side by side comparison to give myself incentive to stay active here. 

Thanks in advance for the concerns regarding my wallet. We lurkers do appreciate the conversation even if we don't usually take part.

Just think, for the price of a pair of LCD-2's you could have a pair of Mad Dogs for home, one for work, and one for traveling... 

Oct 22, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #1,588 of 6,388
Got the Mad Dogs in the mail last week. Been auditioning them since then. I absolutely love their sound, but they seem quite heavy. After wearing these for about 20-30min my neck starts to feel strained. I had M50s before these and that never happend (though these are heavier). Any suggestions? Am I wearing these wrong (not really sure how I could be wearing these "wrong")? Is everyone else's neck just more awesome than mine? I'm going to give them another day or so, but I might have to send them back because of this. Kinda upset, I'm loving the sound on these. 

Oct 22, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #1,589 of 6,388
Got the Mad Dogs in the mail last week. Been auditioning them since then. I absolutely love their sound, but they seem quite heavy. After wearing these for about 20-30min my neck starts to feel strained. I had M50s before these and that never happend (though these are heavier). Any suggestions? Am I wearing these wrong (not really sure how I could be wearing these "wrong")? Is everyone else's neck just more awesome than mine? I'm going to give them another day or so, but I might have to send them back because of this. Kinda upset, I'm loving the sound on these. 

Which option did you order? Or perhaps you can take photo of yours.

Btw, mine's the full option and have never found any heaviness issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back