"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Oct 22, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #1,606 of 6,388
Oh, you were. :xf_eek:

I was more-so wondering what kind of store he was auditioning them at. I'd imagine some sort of audio shop, then again, I really have no idea
what stores are like in Indonesia.

They're like mortar and brick stores. We have Jaben (they are the largest headphone store chain here), Kantong Kresek, Don't Blame Your Ears, and the latest is Analog Head (Mike of Headfonia's one of the owner). To keep things aligned with the discussion thread, I bought my MD at Analog Head.

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #1,607 of 6,388
Quote:
Oh, you were. 
redface.gif

I was more-so wondering what kind of store he was auditioning them at. I'd imagine some sort of audio shop, then again, I really have no idea
what stores are like in Indonesia.

Yup, no harm, no foul intended either way.

Quote:
That and you guys have stores with return policies for unsatisfied buyers. We, unfortunately, do not have that luxury.

You clearly have never tried to return something to a U.S. Best Buy

Oct 23, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #1,608 of 6,388
Quote:
Ah, I see. Thanks for letting us know. Even though stores here have return
policies, it's really sad to see so few audio shops around. 

Agreed.  There is only one decent audio shop in the Dallas/Fort Worth area of Texas that I know of (Audio Concepts).  As far as Head-fi is concerned, they're a Grado dealer.  It's a good shop, but I'd like some more variety/competition.

On the other hand, I'm pleased with the number of audio manufacturers now employing the direct to consumer business model here in the US (Mr. Speakers and Schiit come to mind).  Offering a 15 or 30 day no-questions return policy is great.

Oct 23, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #1,609 of 6,388
Quote:

Agreed.  There is only one decent audio shop in the Dallas/Fort Worth area of Texas that I know of (Audio Concepts).  As far as Head-fi is concerned, they're a Grado dealer.  It's a good shop, but I'd like some more variety/competition.

On the other hand, I'm pleased with the number of audio manufacturers now employing the direct to consumer business model here in the US (Mr. Speakers and Schiit come to mind).  Offering a 15 or 30 day no-questions return policy is great.

I agree.  It's nice to see people making things IN America again.  We used to make great things, all kinds of things, and we've strayed a long ways from that over the years.  Happy to see companies such as Schiit and others going back to that and showing that it can be done, and done successfully.

Oct 23, 2012 at 4:47 AM Post #1,610 of 6,388
Quote:
They're like mortar and brick stores. We have Jaben (they are the largest headphone store chain here), Kantong Kresek, Don't Blame Your Ears, and the latest is Analog Head (Mike of Headfonia's one of the owner). To keep things aligned with the discussion thread, I bought my MD at Analog Head.

There is also another one called headphoneku (although I am still unsure whether this has a physical shop or only an online shop). Sorry if this comment derails the thread of its appreciation for the MD. Auditioned them once (Shure pads) and really like the overall sound especially the mids.

Although at last I've bought a HifiMan 400, I'm still wondering if the MD with Dog Pads can complement them to replace my M50...

Oct 23, 2012 at 5:09 AM Post #1,611 of 6,388
Quote:

There is also another one called headphoneku (although I am still unsure whether this has a physical shop or only an online shop). Sorry if this comment derails the thread of its appreciation for the MD. Auditioned them once (Shure pads) and really like the overall sound especially the mids.

Although at last I've bought a HifiMan 400, I'm still wondering if the MD with Dog Pads can complement them to replace my M50...

Headphoneku is in another city. I think they also have a physical shop.

Ok, back to discussion topic. I think the MD will complement the HE-400. Open back and closed back do have their pluses and minuses, as well as different sonic characters. But please take this opinion with a grain of salt, since I've only compare the MD with the LCD 2 (latest rev) for a brief amount of time.

Oct 23, 2012 at 6:36 AM Post #1,613 of 6,388
Quote:
Would you please describe this comparison (MD vs.Audeze), even if you did for a short
time?

I don't think I can make a fair comparison since I didn't listen to both cans using the same setup. The LCD2 went through Pan Am and CLAS, while the MD went through MS2+ and Sansui AU-2200. However a friend who've tried listening to both cans using the MS2+ and Sansui thought that the MD have better tonality than the LCD2. I think YMMV since it's a preference (subjective) kind of thing.

Oct 23, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #1,614 of 6,388
Quote:
Would you please describe this comparison (MD vs.Audeze), even if you did for a short
time?

I know I had the chance to make this comparison at CanJam over at the Schiit table.  The only real take away that I can give you is that the Mad Dogs do a decent job of lowering the noise floor and they're significantly more comfortable.  They certainly don't isolate perfectly/completely, but in a noisy environment they can sound a good bit better than the LCD-2.  I did get a chance to listen to the closed-back LCD-2 on a different setup, and that sounded better than any other LCD-2 setup I heard at the show.  I'd say that speaks to the noise floor issue.  The LCD-2 is capable of producing more impact than the Mad Dogs, but in a somewhat noisy room the Mad Dogs have better clarity and extension (bass and treble).  I also preferred the midrange of the Mad Dogs.  I did get a little chance to listen to the LCD-2's early in the morning on Sunday, and I do enjoy them.  I just personally listen most of the time with above average room noise (my air conditioning at home is pretty damn loud).

Oct 23, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #1,615 of 6,388
For anyone who is looking for a shorter cable that works with Mad Dog. Another alternative option to Vmoda cable.
Here's my cable and it works perfectly.  http://www.meritline.com/right-angle-800-aux-cable-cord-3-5mm---p-82224.aspx

The best part: it's only $2 and super durable. I bought it at a local computer shop in Taiwan.

Oct 23, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #1,616 of 6,388
Quote:

I know I had the chance to make this comparison at CanJam over at the Schiit table.  The only real take away that I can give you is that the Mad Dogs do a decent job of lowering the noise floor and they're significantly more comfortable.  They certainly don't isolate perfectly/completely, but in a noisy environment they can sound a good bit better than the LCD-2.  I did get a chance to listen to the closed-back LCD-2 on a different setup, and that sounded better than any other LCD-2 setup I heard at the show.  I'd say that speaks to the noise floor issue.  The LCD-2 is capable of producing more impact than the Mad Dogs, but in a somewhat noisy room the Mad Dogs have better clarity and extension (bass and treble).  I also preferred the midrange of the Mad Dogs.  I did get a little chance to listen to the LCD-2's early in the morning on Sunday, and I do enjoy them.  I just personally listen most of the time with above average room noise (my air conditioning at home is pretty damn loud).

That's actually a good point there that you make. In noisy environments isolation definitely enhances audio fidelity to my ears and experience. 

Oct 23, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #1,617 of 6,388
Anybody can kindly explain why the Mad Dogs can receive MAX volume on a NFB-10SE? Like volume 48, while still sounding normal. Other headphones can barely go past 20.
--
Edit: Sorry. Depended on the software/source. Listened to them on different occasions. Though the Mad Dogs can certainly receive more power without being glaringly loud.

Oct 23, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #1,618 of 6,388
Quote:
Anybody can kindly explain why the Mad Dogs can receive MAX volume on a NFB-10SE? Like volume 48, while still sounding normal. Other headphones can barely go past 10.

What other headphones?

Oct 23, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #1,619 of 6,388
The Mad Dog is less efficient than some headphones, particularly if you are used to dynamic or IEMs, and even more so if the gear you have used was balanced.  It's 2-3 dB less efficient than an LCD-2, but orthos are in general less efficient than a lot of (but not all) dynamic phones.  

I've not used it, but a quick review of the spec shows the 10SE is a balanced design.  When you use the single ended output of a balanced amp you typically will lose 6 dB of output.  If your headphones were balanced and were very efficient, you could be down anywhere from 8-15 dB in output.

I think the 10SE has a high/low gain adjustment.  Switch to High gain if you aren't already.  On my Burson and Schiit gear, they both are 9-12 for most listening, and my DACPort is quite loud by 12-2.  If you are still having issues, PM me.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back