"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Oct 20, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #1,561 of 6,388
Got these friday: I'm using an Audinst HP headphone amp. I'm having difficulty getting "lost" in the music. All the details are extremely clear yet I feel as though i'm looking at a painting saying "oh that's a cool detail" yet never actually having any emotional connection with the music. Perhaps it has to do with the volume. It's always still comfortable when I turn my amp all the way up. Don't know what to do about that. Perhaps i'm misusing the cable (not pushing it in enough etc.). I'm using the Vmoda cable. For the normal cable the big end doesn't seem to fit anywhere on my iphone/amp. Does anyone have a good suggestion for a pretty but not completely neutral can with a slight emphasis on bass. I have not had a chance to burn these in yet so I don't know if the bass becomes a little more appearent. But I have a feeling that the lack of any sort of visceral-ness to the music played comes from the lack of bass. It's like the music is behind glass and i'm observing it and admiring the complexity of it but never actually feeling it. Anyone got an idea for a more feelsy fun can that's not tottally neutral but still has good highs and mids and is easily driven?  Could be an iem or anything I don't care. I'm still going to listen to these over the next week and burning them in overnight to see what happens. Also the lack of volume from my amp might be part of the problem of not being able to get lost in it.

Oct 20, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #1,562 of 6,388
I don't know about that amp, but I can drive rather well the Mad Dogs with my portable Leckerton so...

Anyway, I replied on your other thread :wink:

Oct 20, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #1,563 of 6,388
Which Mad Dog option did you get? And what music music genre did you play with your MD?

I've tried the MD (without dog pads) with my v-moda m-80 cable. I've noticed a slight improvement in bass punch, but everything else seemed not as bright. I've sold my m-80 so I can't test the cable again with the new MD (with dog pads).

Oct 20, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #1,564 of 6,388
I got them with the dog pads. How do you even put the normal MD cable in the headphone cause the big end doesn't seem to fit into anything. :/

I guess in simplest terms, I want a phone that allows music to have an overwhelming presence that you just lose yourself in. I don't see why neutral has to = laid back,it just means one part of the sound spectrum doesn't take center stage. I guess in order to have it have that overwhelming presence it needs to have more bass since that's what gives it that energy and makes you "feel" the music.

So I guess the optimal phone would be neutral with a slight bass emphasis, but only ever so  slight, and efficient /easily driven.

Oct 20, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #1,565 of 6,388
Quote:
I got them with the dog pads. How do you even put the normal MD cable in the headphone cause the big end doesn't seem to fit into anything. :/

I guess in simplest terms, I want a phone that allows music to have an overwhelming presence that you just lose yourself in. I don't see why neutral has to = laid back,it just means one part of the sound spectrum doesn't take center stage. I guess in order to have it have that overwhelming presence it needs to have more bass since that's what gives it that energy and makes you "feel" the music.

We're digging into two territories, I think. It sounds like you want a headphone that is very upfront and very musical and warm. The Mad Dogs are quite the opposite. They are supremely neutral and very open and clear. 

Oct 20, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #1,566 of 6,388
Perhaps I am, a warm headphone that is pretty even handed with the various parts of the spectrum (bass/mids/lows).The thing I don't understand about this neutral vs upfront lingo is that when I say neutral I mean it doesn't favor one part of the spectrum over the other (although what I said was a very slight bass emphasis is good) but other people seem to mean analytical. I would like a headphone like the one I described but after searching and searching it's always either dull sounding or is overly bass centric or overly high centric etc. 

Oct 20, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #1,567 of 6,388
We're digging into two territories, I think. It sounds like you want a headphone that is very upfront and very musical and warm. The Mad Dogs are quite the opposite. They are supremely neutral and very open and clear. 

Wow! Perception is a funny thing. I find the mad dogs very musical and warm... Not lacking detail at all, but musical and warm. Funny how we hear differently.

Oct 20, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #1,571 of 6,388
The cable port on the MD's left cup is tricky alright. The v-moda cable is one of the few that fits. I made a simple & quick DIY-ish cable myself and thank God one end fits in.

I believe the MD is a musical headphone but not bass heavy. Reading your description, I'm guessing that you want a big sounding headphone, like a Magnum or Senn HD25-1. I've never auditioned the audinst that you're using so can't comment on that. ALO National paired nicely with the MD though.

Oct 20, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #1,573 of 6,388
I'm not sure I understand the cable issue you're having. The small end of the cable with a 1/8" jack twists into the port in the headphone ear cup . The other end is a regular 1/4" connection and fits into most stereo receivers or desktop headphone amps.

If all you have is portable players or laptops, then you need a little 1/4 to 1/8 adapter. But surely you must be familiar with 1/4" jacks. They're not that mysterious.

But, it should be pointed out that if all you have is a portable player and no portable amp, the mad dogs will not sound close to their potential. In my experience, they need as much power as an LCD2 or LCD3 to sound great

Oct 21, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #1,575 of 6,388
Quote:
No no I have an amp. The reviews said the audinst could power the lcd2, I mean it has 600 mw (300 per channel) at 32 olms.

I can't speak to how they'd sound out of a 300mw amp as everything I've heard it with has has 2+ watts per channel.  The best I've heard it sound was with the Cavalli Audio Liquid Glass which also did a wonderful job of driving the infamously hard to drive HE-6.  I also really liked it with the Burson Soloist and the Schiit Lyr.  I think it scales well with amplification.  My guess is that you'd probably really like them paired with the Burson Soloist or Conductor.  For your Audinist, you may have to find something more efficient.  Have you tried Grados?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back