"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Oct 16, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #1,502 of 6,388
Quote:

I suggest we avoid that and leave those discussions to Sound Science.  Cables on a thread are like religion and politics at dinner. :)

I'm a metallurgist, and even I stay away from sound science
rolleyes.gif

Oct 16, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #1,504 of 6,388
That's not so say I don't mind a nice silver recable because, well, shiny! And I'm willing to pay extra (within limits) for that aethetic and build quality. But beyond that, eh... let's just say it's beyond my wallet and my ears' acceptable point of diminishing returns.

Oct 16, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #1,505 of 6,388
Here's my review, which I am copying/pasting from a PM I sent Dan (edited for typos :p).

Alright, I have used these almost constantly for about 10 days. I purchased the Dog Pad version with comfort strap. They are being driven by a FiiO E09K/E17 (bought this setup for portability as well as having a desktop amp all in one for a low price.). I use Foobar with WASAPI-Event. Flac files mainly but there are some 320kbps MP3's (will be acquired in flac eventually). I must say, the sound is very good. But more on that later.

Here are some of my thoughts.

Comfort - I went from from my Ultrasone HFi-580 at work to these. The HFI-580 was very comfortable to me but my ears would get warm after a couple hours. Pleather. Well, I put these on and they were like pillows around my ears. Just insanely comfortable. I wanted to test some recording nuances I heard with these if they were present in the HFI-580 because I had never heard them before. Well, I can't even wear the HFI-580 anymore. Not comfortable at all compared to these (keep in mind, it was about a week of only wearing these). My ears don't get hot with the leather vs pleather. I have worn these for 7 hours a day at work since I got them (low listening volume, of course) and I can wear them for even longer. These are the most comfortable headphones i've ever worn, hands down.

Sound - They sounded amazing from day 1. As they have burned in, the sound has changed ever so slightly. They are less harsh in female vocal highs that I experienced at first. Like I said, 7 hours a day without any fatigue, headache, etc. The sound stage is a good size for a closed headphone but not too large. It feels intimate, as though i'm sitting at a table close to the stage, just listening to the artist play an unplugged set.

Bass - I thought it was lacking at first, but I have never experienced a truly flat or very neutral headphone before the Mad Dog. I wanted more bass so I EQed some more bass through Foobar and the FiiO E17. Well, I've gone back to no EQ on bass. The more I listened, the more I got used to it. They have just the right amount of presence and the perfect amount of detail in the low frequencies. Before, I'd hear the bass line in a song. Now I hear the chords of the bass line, and yet the bass is always present. It adds to the music, but doesn't overpower. This is very good to my ears, as I absolutely hate when bass overpowers. To me it's like bad concert audio, when the guitars aren't turned up high enough and all you hear are the drums or vice-versa. The Mad Dog is just the right amount of everything.

Mids - detailed, clear, forward when they are intended in the recording. Really brings rock music to life (Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Foo Fighters, Pink Floyd, Tool, etc.)

Highs - harsh at first, but very good now. Reminds me of the Grado SR225i where they are clear, detailed and with some sparkle but aren't fatiguing. When I was purchasing my Grados, I went to a local audio store and auditioned the SR80, 125, 225, 325, and RS2i back to back. I stayed there for 4 hours, listening to music. The reason I chose the SR225 was because it was far more detailed (and fun) than the 80 and 125, but the 125 and 325 were too harsh in the highs. It was piercing. Well the highs here are extremely detailed but smooth and don't hurt, if that makes sense.

Overall - Needless to say, I'm keeping the headphones. They are amazing for what they are (small ortho, modified) and truly a great value. When I go visit the parents for Christmas, I'm taking my setup home and will have my dad listen to these. I have a sneaking suspicion that I'll have to buy him a pair :). He studied music in Europe through his high school years and enjoys his audio.

It has been a joy rediscovering music. These headphones bring me back to the first times I listened to certain albums. Listening to Ten, Superunknown, Smells Like Teen Spirit, The Dark Side of the Moon, The Wall, and Lateralus has been superb. Listening to metal is a joy. The speed and melody of everything from Megadeth to Amon Amarth to Slayer is never lost and the headphones don't struggle to keep up (muddle/muffle the sound). Hip hop is good. I've been listening to The Heist by Macklemore all week and the bass here isn't as punchy as, say, the HFI-580, but it is detailed and clear and adds that depth to the music. Electronic music is great too because of the linear response and speed of these headphones. I listen to drum and bass and again while it isn't punchy, I can hear EVERY detail and separation in between the drums and bass and even multiple layers (tracks) of the same instrument in the songs.

I'm very happy with these. It has been a learning experience with the neutrality and bass quantity from what i'm used to (HFI-580), but the experience has been for the better. I much prefer the sound of the Mad Dog. I can't compare these to the regular pads, but I don't want this sound to change. When I went back to my other headphones, they all sounded tinny or colored or far too bassy. I guess I prefer neutral and prefer orthos because even something neutral that uses a dynamic driver (K702) just doesn't sound as good (not just because of the lack of bass and because of the analytics. These have their place. The Mad Dog just sounds better to me). These are the right balance of musical to analytical to my ears. I look forward to getting an open back ortho (HE-400) for at home listening because i feel as though it will perfectly complement these and provide a similar sound while giving some more of the benefits of being open backed. 

Oct 16, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #1,508 of 6,388
Previously, I owned a v-moda m-80. I sold my m-80 because now i prefer around ear hp. I like how it sounded though. I listened to Korn, some dub step, and some drum n bass music last night just trying to compare the bass section out of memory.

I felt the MD bass is relatively similar to the m-80. It' quite fast but tightness is abit loose according to my preference. The punch is there but smooth. The punch agressiveness is a bit above the m-80, but still far from hd-25's level. The sub bass where I used to felt the rumbling were not there. However the MD is not a bass head hp, while the m-80 is tuned to DJ type of music (meaning more bass quantity).

My conclusion is with the MD+DP, bass is no longer an issue. It was also fun listening to those music I mentioned above. The above comparison was made just out of curiosity. The overall sound character of both hp are special to me.

-- edit --
I just realized that I didn't talk about bass quantity. So I added the information above.

Oct 17, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #1,509 of 6,388
Quote:
I absolutely love the PCM-M10 as a player. My whole inspiration for this rig with zilch0md, he deserves all the credit. I pretty much copied him but I couldn't be happier with this rig. I have a limited income so it took months to get it all put together and then I had to get the hardwire split done for the Mad Dogs. This was the best combo I could come up with for an all-in-one type rig. I wanted something that had desktop quality sound, could drive big cans and be very portable. I know it looks huge but the rig is actually very portable with the CaseLogic bag. It was a shot in the dark with the bag but when I got it it just happened to fit perfectly. The LME49990s and HA5002s totally change the sound of the PB2 and bring it to a whole new level. Much more open/detailed/well controlled. 

Perfect for jogging!

Oct 17, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #1,511 of 6,388
My mind is really confused. I targeted myself to buy Hifiman HE400 due to the excellent (peoples say so) soundstage and quality and clarity of the sound. But the main lack of this phone for me is sound leakage. ı want to use my can at the coffee, plane, office exc. While I was looking at the forums how much sound leakage, I saw that somebody advised MrSpeakers Mad Dog, after I dig it I found myselt very close to buy it. But I don't wanna be sorry to not buy a He-400. I live in outside US and I have no many chance to buy another one. 

So please advise me about Hifiman HE400 or MrSpeakers Mad Dog. Which one is better abot my usage. I listen alternative rock, rock, Coldplay, The Cure exc., also Jazz and baroque music. 

I have a car so generally I don't use public transportation except plane. But I want to listen my music while I'm drinking coffee at Starbucks.

Which one is correct choice ?
(I've already use ATH M50)

Oct 17, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #1,512 of 6,388
Quote:
My mind is really confused. I targeted myself to buy Hifiman HE400 due to the excellent (peoples say so) soundstage and quality and clarity of the sound. But the main lack of this phone for me is sound leakage. ı want to use my can at the coffee, plane, office exc. While I was looking at the forums how much sound leakage, I saw that somebody advised MrSpeakers Mad Dog, after I dig it I found myselt very close to buy it. But I don't wanna be sorry to not buy a He-400. I live in outside US and I have no many chance to buy another one. 

So please advise me about Hifiman HE400 or MrSpeakers Mad Dog. Which one is better abot my usage. I listen alternative rock, rock, Coldplay, The Cure exc., also Jazz and baroque music. 

I have a car so generally I don't use public transportation except plane. But I want to listen my music while I'm drinking coffee at Starbucks.

I do not think there are any other Headphones that leak sound as much as the Hifiman HE series. They are excellent HPs, but they are almost as loud to the person next to you as they are on your head.

Oct 17, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #1,513 of 6,388
Quote:

Soundstage wise, I think open back headphones still have the upper hand against closed back ones, but at the expense of sound leakage. I use my MD to listen mostly to jazz (e.g. jazz at the pawn shop, suara, nita aartsens) and I like how it sounded.

Btw, where do you live?

Oct 17, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #1,514 of 6,388
Quote:

Well this depends on whether you (and the surrounding people) mind your music being played at loud volumes. If i were in your position i would be really uncomfortable taking an open headphone in public so perhaps the Mad Dogs are better suited for you.

Oct 17, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #1,515 of 6,388
I live in Turkey and my close friend will come 7th November from US so ı have a chance (but not last chance) to buy HE400 or Mad Dog.

So that's the point is if I will buy Mad Dog I can sell smillar (closed one) ATH M50. But if I will buy HE 400 I have no choice to sell cause I need it for travelling or coffee etc.

In sound comprassion is it a big step from ATH M 50 to Mad Dog or is it worth to keep ATH M50 for travelling and HE400 for home usage.

Thanks for your reply by the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back