"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Oct 16, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #1,486 of 6,388
Quote:
Interesting. are you doing this from the line out or with an LOD? The problem I am having is that im using the 5 and cant use an lod. I dont think an lod works on the adapter they have? I am still confused on this as I thought if It as a dac/amp that adapter or not it would still be bypassing the dac of the adapter or iphone? I dont know. The mad dogs still sound better right out of the iphone 5 then using my shure se215s so that makes me somewhat happy.

Pico Slim via LOD from an iPod touch 4G, and from an iPhone 4S, but not as often - I just use the 256 AAC itunes match on my phone, and lossless on the touch.  Yup, the Pico Dac/Amp will just be fed line out via LOD with the phone/touch.  It is mostly for the laptop where it will serve as dac/amp.  It has twice the power of the Pico Slim, I really want to see if the Mad Dogs scale up with the Pico Slim.  They sound really nice out of my Peachtree Nova headphone section, but that is really only a 150mW per channel headphone amp - I think it is the really well implemented Sabre dac that makes the difference.  The Pico and Pico Slim technically both have more power.

Oct 16, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #1,487 of 6,388
Quote:
Pico Slim via LOD from an iPod touch 4G, and from an iPhone 4S, but not as often - I just use the 256 AAC itunes match on my phone, and lossless on the touch.  Yup, the Pico Dac/Amp will just be fed line out via LOD with the phone/touch.  It is mostly for the laptop where it will serve as dac/amp.  It has twice the power of the Pico Slim, I really want to see if the Mad Dogs scale up with the Pico Slim.  They sound really nice out of my Peachtree Nova headphone section, but that is really only a 150mW per channel headphone amp - I think it is the really well implemented Sabre dac that makes the difference.  The Pico and Pico Slim technically both have more power.

eh well I could do that with an e17 which is much cheaper. The problem is that im using the iphone 5 which has no way of using the iphone dac, only the adapter's dac which is poop.

Oct 16, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #1,488 of 6,388
Quote:

The cable is the stock Fostex cable.  It's copper. :)  

Does different brand of cable have different effect to the sound? Like, brand A copper vs brand B copper? And do different connectors make different effect to the sound?

Oct 16, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #1,489 of 6,388
Quote:
Does different brand of cable have different effect to the sound? Like, brand A copper vs brand B copper? And do different connectors make different effect to the sound?

very slightly. but some say no. I would say it more so depends on the quality of the cable. The fostex cable provided is very good. Much better then a cheap 6-10 dollar connector. Even those wont sound THAT bad but this cable is very nice. Also the Fostex TP50rp have a locking mechanism that you have to worry about when matching a cable with, so many angled cords do not fit...at least the ones I have tried.

Oct 16, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #1,490 of 6,388
Quote:
very slightly. but some say no. I would say it more so depends on the quality of the cable. The fostex cable provided is very good. Much better then a cheap 6-10 dollar connector. Even those wont sound THAT bad but this cable is very nice. Also the Fostex TP50rp have a locking mechanism that you have to worry about when matching a cable with, so many angled cords do not fit...at least the ones I have tried.

Thanks. I'm starting to get the idea for selecting materials for a DIY cable. I am new to DIY stuff, so I might do some research on the brands and the availability here. A friend recommended silver cable from Homegrown (cmiiw), so I will trial his cable first to see how it will change the sound.

As for the jack, pluging a straight 1/8" jack should fit as long as the housing is not big. It won't stick out as much either. If it does, I don't really care as long as the sound is good. :D

Oct 16, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #1,491 of 6,388
Quote:

I suggest we avoid that and leave those discussions to Sound Science.  Cables on a thread are like religion and politics at dinner. :)

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 16, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #1,492 of 6,388
Quote:

I suggest we avoid that and leave those discussions to Sound Science.  Cables on a thread are like religion and politics at dinner. :)

LOL! Okay, Dan. :)

Oct 16, 2012 at 4:18 AM Post #1,494 of 6,388
I can appreciate the refrain from discussing cables because of the awkward back and forth debates that can happen.  However, I happen to have a bit of an anecdotal story from a few months back.  One of the DIY members in the forum built a pair of modified Fostex headphones for someone.  The individual then had new cable installed, which fed into each cup.  The member went back to the DIY member who did the build for some consultation and the DIY member received the headphones back to work on re-tuning them.  However, the process of re-tuning them was quite a bit harder than the first time around when using the stock cable.

I guess the point of my message is that people can often think that going with a pricier cable might mean some sort of increase in sound.  Yet, from the story information I posted, you can see how one might consider a simple cable mod something that might improve the sound, but the reverse happened.

Sorry to take the topic back into the cable area, but I thought the story was quite relevant so others would understand how headphone tuning vs. cable use can have quite an impact, and not always for the better.

Oct 16, 2012 at 4:30 AM Post #1,495 of 6,388
Quote:
I can appreciate the refrain from discussing cables because of the awkward back and forth debates that can happen.  However, I happen to have a bit of an anecdotal story from a few months back.  One of the DIY members in the forum built a pair of modified Fostex headphones for someone.  The individual then had new cable installed, which fed into each cup.  The member went back to the DIY member who did the build for some consultation and the DIY member received the headphones back to work on re-tuning them.  However, the process of re-tuning them was quite a bit harder than the first time around when using the stock cable.

I guess the point of my message is that people can often think that going with a pricier cable might mean some sort of increase in sound.  Yet, from the story information I posted, you can see how one might consider a simple cable mod something that might improve the sound, but the reverse happened.

Sorry to take the topic back into the cable area, but I thought the story was quite relevant so others would understand how headphone tuning vs. cable use can have quite an impact, and not always for the better.

all good its a good point. Try the original before worrying about modding the cable. simple as that. 

Oct 16, 2012 at 4:51 AM Post #1,496 of 6,388
Quote:

Thanks for sharing. Overall, I already like the MD with Dog Pads the way it is. However I also believe that headphone is just one element out of the whole setup. So I'm just curious what other elements are best for my preferences, including the cables. Even if I do mod my MD even further, I will go with the simple and reversible choice. :)

Oct 16, 2012 at 8:42 AM Post #1,497 of 6,388
The next important element to better sound (other than a different headphone) is quality recorded music, then maybe the amp/DAC then.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................cable (but add 10,000 more periods).

Oct 16, 2012 at 9:09 AM Post #1,498 of 6,388
Quote:
The next important element to better sound (other than a different headphone) is quality recorded music, then maybe the amp/DAC then.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................cable (but add 10,000 more periods).

LOL! Okay, I'll put cable on the bottom of the shopping list. Agree on the quality recorded music. I just realized that earlier this afternoon (it's already 8PM here).

Oct 16, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #1,499 of 6,388
Quote:

LOL! Okay, I'll put cable on the bottom of the shopping list. Agree on the quality recorded music. I just realized that earlier this afternoon (it's already 8PM here).

Glad you enjoyed your MD (dang no MD emoicons here), waits for some impression
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back