"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Oct 17, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #1,516 of 6,388
Quote:
My mind is really confused. I targeted myself to buy Hifiman HE400 due to the excellent (peoples say so) soundstage and quality and clarity of the sound. But the main lack of this phone for me is sound leakage. ı want to use my can at the coffee, plane, office exc. While I was looking at the forums how much sound leakage, I saw that somebody advised MrSpeakers Mad Dog, after I dig it I found myselt very close to buy it. But I don't wanna be sorry to not buy a He-400. I live in outside US and I have no many chance to buy another one. 

So please advise me about Hifiman HE400 or MrSpeakers Mad Dog. Which one is better abot my usage. I listen alternative rock, rock, Coldplay, The Cure exc., also Jazz and baroque music. 

I have a car so generally I don't use public transportation except plane. But I want to listen my music while I'm drinking coffee at Starbucks.

Which one is correct choice ?
(I've already use ATH M50)

I would get the he400 and listen to them at home. And then buy a pair of nice IEM for travel. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 17, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #1,517 of 6,388
Quote:
I live in Turkey and my close friend will come 7th November from US so ı have a chance (but not last chance) to buy HE400 or Mad Dog.

So that's the point is if I will buy Mad Dog I can sell smillar (closed one) ATH M50. But if I will buy HE 400 I have no choice to sell cause I need it for travelling or coffee etc.

In sound comprassion is it a big step from ATH M 50 to Mad Dog or is it worth to keep ATH M50 for travelling and HE400 for home usage.

Thanks for your reply by the way.

If you worry that much, your safest route would be getting the HE-400. Too bad you can't have a free audition in where you live. I went for the MD because it's comfortable, whereas the HiFiMan (from memory of the HE-500) was too heavy though sounded good.

Oct 17, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #1,519 of 6,388
Quote:
My mind is really confused. I targeted myself to buy Hifiman HE400 due to the excellent (peoples say so) soundstage and quality and clarity of the sound. But the main lack of this phone for me is sound leakage. ı want to use my can at the coffee, plane, office exc. While I was looking at the forums how much sound leakage, I saw that somebody advised MrSpeakers Mad Dog, after I dig it I found myselt very close to buy it. But I don't wanna be sorry to not buy a He-400. I live in outside US and I have no many chance to buy another one. 

So please advise me about Hifiman HE400 or MrSpeakers Mad Dog. Which one is better abot my usage. I listen alternative rock, rock, Coldplay, The Cure exc., also Jazz and baroque music. 

I have a car so generally I don't use public transportation except plane. But I want to listen my music while I'm drinking coffee at Starbucks.

Which one is correct choice ?
(I've already use ATH M50)

In general I prefer the Mad Dog to the HE-400 outright.  However, I've never really listened to either in a really quiet environment.

Oct 17, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #1,520 of 6,388
I'd like to comment on extended time period comfort of the MDs (840 pads + comfort strap).

I put them through around 24 hours of head time in 48 hours.  And probably another 24 hours over the following four days.  I may actually be underestimating.

I had kept my HD598 (which I consider my most comfortable cans) around just in case the MDs got uncomfortable, but I never needed to swap.  I definitely needed to stretch my legs before my ears/head got tired of the MDs.  I can be somewhat of a stickler on comfort, finding HE-500 uncomfortable after more than maybe two hours (largely due to weight plus pressure on my glasses),

I'm very happy with the MDs on comfort alone.  Of course, the sound is great, too.

Oct 18, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #1,523 of 6,388
Quote:
approximately how long does it take for the mad dog to ship to Europe? Also, how much will the shipping cost approximately?

Hi...  I am not sure MOT rules allow me to answer this.  Just PM questions like this any time.  Also, please be aware I'll be offline for the most of the next four days, I'll reply to messages Sunday, late.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 18, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #1,524 of 6,388
Quote:
I do not think there are any other Headphones that leak sound as much as the Hifiman HE series. They are excellent HPs, but they are almost as loud to the person next to you as they are on your head.

Haha, that's good to know.  I was sure there would be sound leakage, but I had no idea it was that much.  Hifimans were the only other headphones I was going to consider trying out, but I mostly listen at work.  While most my coworkers have their own headphones on, I don't really want everyone who doesn't listening to my music.  I guess I should just concentrate on trying to find an amp that might give the Mad Dogs a little more punch.

Oct 18, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #1,526 of 6,388
So just got these, first impression is that the isolation is really bad. I put it on my friends head and I could hear it loud and clear. I had it on loud but other headphones at the same or louder volumes I did not have this problem. People keep saying that these have good isolation but it seems on par with the typical ipod buds. This alone my warrant a return tbh because I live with a lot of people. It's kinda frustrating because I was waiting so long  these. Now I don't know what to do because it prohibits my enjoyment of music when i'm constantly worrying about the volume and actually I don't think I can return them because it's past the return window. Which is also kind of annoying because I literally was only able to listen to them today because I wanted to wait for my amp to come which took a while. The sound quality is superb but the isolation just ruins it. Is there anything I can do to fix it?

Oct 18, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #1,527 of 6,388
Don't get me wrong!! The sound quality is great and Dan did an awesome job! It's just the isolation that kills it. These seem almost open or semi open because it seems like sound comes through this little vent things in the sides.

Oct 18, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #1,528 of 6,388
Quote:
Don't get me wrong!! The sound quality is great and Dan did an awesome job! It's just the isolation that kills it. These seem almost open or semi open because it seems like sound comes through this little vent things in the sides.

Are you using the dog pads? Maybe you could try covering those vents with electrical tape to increase isolation, but that would probably affect the sound.

Oct 18, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #1,529 of 6,388
Quote:
So just got these, first impression is that the isolation is really bad. I put it on my friends head and I could hear it loud and clear. I had it on loud but other headphones at the same or louder volumes I did not have this problem. People keep saying that these have good isolation but it seems on par with the typical ipod buds. This alone my warrant a return tbh because I live with a lot of people. It's kinda frustrating because I was waiting so long  these. Now I don't know what to do because it prohibits my enjoyment of music when i'm constantly worrying about the volume and actually I don't think I can return them because it's past the return window. Which is also kind of annoying because I literally was only able to listen to them today because I wanted to wait for my amp to come which took a while. The sound quality is superb but the isolation just ruins it. Is there anything I can do to fix it?

Just to be sure, are you getting a good seal?  I know I did a test with them by putting them around my knee and turning them up louder than I could stand (and I tend to listen loud).  I couldn't really hear a thing.  I'll repeat this test tomorrow, but I definitely didn't get the same result.

Edit: I'd also PM Dan to see if he has any suggestions.  If it is a seal issue, I know you can slightly bend the headband to increase the clamping force a bit - just be careful.

Oct 18, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #1,530 of 6,388
Man... you guys listen to music at ear deafening levels!! At work (cube setup) NO ONE can hear what I listen to with my Mad Dogs unless I take them off my head...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back