"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
May 31, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #6,361 of 6,388
Nice choice to make the plug in insert in an angle away from the shoulders with the balance vers.  

May 31, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #6,363 of 6,388
Thanks...  

Ironically, that was why we wanted to place it there, but it turns out there is no other place we could have put a standard connector that could handle balanced, so happily necessity and intent happened to align...  :)

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 1, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #6,364 of 6,388
Quote:
How about an iBasso termination for the cable.

We will offer an iBasso and an RSA cables or adaptors, as well as 1/4" single ended.  It's not that tons more to make cables then adaptors, so I am thinking that a cable is a better solution than an adaptor; simpler signal path, fewer parts, and one less connection.  But the price will be probably 25-30% higher.  What do you guys prefer; lower adaptor price or separate cables for each connection?

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 1, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #6,365 of 6,388
Quote:
Quote:
How about an iBasso termination for the cable.

We will offer an iBasso and an RSA cables or adaptors, as well as 1/4" single ended.  It's not that tons more to make cables then adaptors, so I am thinking that a cable is a better solution than an adaptor; simpler signal path, fewer parts, and one less connection.  But the price will be probably 25-30% higher.  What do you guys prefer; lower adaptor price or separate cables for each connection?

Seperate.

Jun 1, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #6,367 of 6,388
Love both the MD and LCD2. Is that weird? Why must one be chosen over the other?

I think they are quite complimentary, actually.

The MD is the best closed alternative to the LCD2 that I've heard. Is it as good? No, there are tradeoffs, but you're comparing a $300 headphone to a $1000 one.

If you can afford the LCD2 and don't need the excellent isolation of the MD, by all means, the LCD2 is worthwhile, IMHO. If you can't, the MD is an excellent alternative.

Jun 1, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #6,368 of 6,388
Separate as well. Adapters are a pain. That said, mine will be 4 pin XLR for the HIFI-M8 whenever it ships, I already have a 4 pin to hirose. Or Maybe 3 cables? SE, Hirose, 4 pin XLR?

I have one of Dan's earlier balanced prototypes with a different cable and connector. Dan graciously set me up as a beta tester a month or a bit more ago. I have been using the Ibasso PB2/DB2 combo. With this dac/amp set, balanced vs. unbalanced is a bit clearer, faster, tighter bass, a bit more articulate. Small differences, but noticeable and nice.

Jun 1, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #6,369 of 6,388
Quote:
I don't know what to do!! So its either buy some Mad Dogs or wait a while for HD800's. Would you describe the Mad Dogs as fun in anyway? I'm looking for a fun can to tack onto the HD650's and the DT880's. Also, to anyone wondering why I was thinking the HD800's for a fun can, I wasn't, I was just thinking of them as to stop the Head-Fi addiction. But I don't think I want to do that just yet
size]

Also, to MrSpeakers, remember when I said I'd buy them later this year as I needed money when I returned them? Well here I am
size]
size]
size]

Did no one see my question other than Dan?
size]

Jun 1, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #6,370 of 6,388
It's more forward in some ways, very detailed and very clean, more than I've heard them attain before.  I don't want to over-gush, etc, but the cable is part of the difference.  I hear some of the improvement when I switch to a SE adaptor and plug into my regular amps, but not all of it.  

It feels like there's a bit more dark space, and the attack and transients are a bit faster with the same phone and cable but balanced vs single ended.  It also feels like there is more energy behind the mids, they just project more clearly.  Mind you, I'm comparing a very limited set of amps that do have different qualities, so I want to be cautious about generalizing this to balanced vs single-ended discussion.  

Certainly I can say I have really enjoyed the Schiit stack, the iBasso DB2 adn PB2 stack, and the marvelously small Ray Samuels Intruder.  

The cable is more microphonic than the stock cable, a bit more like my Audez'e cable in this respect. For me it's only noticeable when there's no music.

-------------------
So the balanced option comes with your new cable..or the v moda cable?

Jun 1, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #6,371 of 6,388
HE-400 or Mad Dogs for fun?

Jun 1, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #6,372 of 6,388
That's a loaded question. Typically I'd say that the he400 with it's consistent bass slam would be what most would call more "fun." The MD has more linear bass which more people would call more accurate. With that being said, I have more fun with the MD. 
size]

Jun 1, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #6,373 of 6,388
Let me ask this then: is it worth it to have 3 neutral cans?(HD650,DT880, and the MD)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back