"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
May 5, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #5,761 of 6,388
Quote:
I bought the Mad Dogs and now I'm waiting for them to come, but what do you guys think of them compared to Hifiman HE-400 overall?

Mad Dogs are significantly more balanced across the spectrum. The HE-400's bass will be more prevalent, but not necessarily more impactful. I wasn't a fan of the HE-400, but for a person who loves strong bass emphasis, the HE-400 will be better. The Mad Dogs are not as emphasized, with much more linear response. 

May 5, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #5,762 of 6,388
Quote:

Mad Dogs are significantly more balanced across the spectrum. The HE-400's bass will be more prevalent, but not necessarily more impactful. I wasn't a fan of the HE-400, but for a person who loves strong bass emphasis, the HE-400 will be better. The Mad Dogs are not as emphasized, with much more linear response. 

This is accurate. The he400 also has a treble spike around the 10hz shelf that some find annoying. The he400 is a good hp...very open and spacious sounding, good instrument separation and great textured bass. I'd still take the MD all day even if they were the same price. 

May 5, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #5,763 of 6,388
Quote:

This is accurate. The he400 also has a treble spike around the 10hz shelf that some find annoying. The he400 is a good hp...very open and spacious sounding, good instrument separation and great textured bass. I'd still take the MD all day even if they were the same price. 

Agreed, I felt the HE-500 was a way better headphone overall than the HE-400. The Mad Dogs are more on the level of the HE-500 than the HE-400. The spike in the treble, and the over emphasized bass was too much for most genres. At the time, I also experience some sibilance with the HE-400 also. I thought it was strange because I was using a tube amp which was very warm and lush, but even then the treble was just too metallicy for me. They also can be grainy at times. For the money, the HE-400 are good headphones for those that want a 'fun' sounding response, but I much prefer the Mad Dogs. 

May 5, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #5,765 of 6,388
Quote:
Any details on the balanced Mad Dogs? What cables are used for rewiring?

We are building our own custom cables, and the wire is of our design...  That's the reason they won't be shipping until late this month.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
May 5, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #5,766 of 6,388
Quote:

After listening to your headphones this weekend, I have to agree. This was also my first time listening to the he400s as well. I was impressed by how good they sounded for the price and believed them to be a good value, but I was more impressed by your md's. I liked them better than the lcd-2, and the fact that they're closed is even more impressive; really loved the pads.

May 5, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #5,767 of 6,388
Quote:
After listening to your headphones this weekend, I have to agree. This was also my first time listening to the he400s as well. I was impressed by how good they sounded for the price and believed them to be a good value, but I was more impressed the your md's. I liked them better than the lcd-2, and the fact that their closed is even more impressive; really loved the pads.

I had a very similar experience at the SF Bay meet.  I did not dislike the LCD2's, I thought they deserved all the praise they get, mostly.  I just see so much more value with the MD's. 85% or 90% of the sound quality (more? memory is fleeting), thrice the comfort, one third the price.  Well, except they were my MD's.

May 6, 2013 at 6:56 AM Post #5,769 of 6,388
The bass on the MD is more linear. It will hit harder as the material contains it. The he400 will have more bass overall but adds it consistently to most all material. I haven't heard the ba200. 

May 6, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #5,770 of 6,388
For the comparison between MD and He400 myself most of the time I prefer the HE 400's for house and electro house music but when it's a more vocal oriented music I grab the mad dogs for their mediums
The bass on MD is ok but It doesn't focused me like the he 400 on that area

IMO : I think the hifiman has more energy and bass slams on tracks, but with softer songs the mad dogs are winners

Both are good and make a good complement
One being closed with no leaking the other opened leaking a lot but sounding more opened

May 6, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #5,771 of 6,388
Quote:
For the comparison between MD and He400 myself most of the time I prefer the HE 400's for house and electro house music but when it's a more vocal oriented music I grab the mad dogs for their mediums
The bass on MD is ok but It doesn't focused me like the he 400 on that area

IMO : I think the hifiman has more energy and bass slams on tracks, but with softer songs the mad dogs are winners

Both are good and make a good complement
One being closed with no leaking the other opened leaking a lot but sounding more opened

Ok i guess the MD is not for me then. the bass is what is most important, and the HE-400's bass is too far in the background for me, i want it a lot thicker.

I dont care so much about leaking, my big goal is the thick kind of bass im after.

May 6, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #5,772 of 6,388
Some second hand denon d5000 may be is a good choice for you also
Ultrasone pro 900's if their hot trebles at high volume don't make you deaf as a stone

so many headphones and one to get :D

good luck

May 7, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #5,773 of 6,388
I just got my hands on my own pair of a Mad Dog 3.2.
smile.gif
Would've bought them new from MrSpeakers but fortunately I was able to grab them used off the FS forums.

Haven't listened much yet, only about 10-15 minutes, so more to come later. But I will say this:

HOLY CRAP, THE HYPE IS REAL!!!!! The Mad Dog 3.2 has officially restored my faith in <$300 headphones!

Disclaimer: I've never previously heard a Fostex T50rp, modded or otherwise.

May 7, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #5,774 of 6,388
just tell me straight...describe the highs...the bass slam/tightness.... 
what setup are u hearing this can with..
my $$$ is on standby.. :p

May 7, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #5,775 of 6,388
Just buy them already, you know you want to.
smile.gif

These are seriously probably the best-sounding <$300 headphones that I've heard yet, and everything I've heard is listed in my profile (or almost everything, anyway).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back