"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
May 7, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #5,776 of 6,388
So I get a very special package today (probably got it days ago, but I hardly check my mailbox) from Dan.

:)

My impressions will be updated once I get a feel for them. All I know is that OMG, they're so damn comfy!

Can't use them tonight as I'm busy atm, but I'll listen asap.

May 7, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #5,777 of 6,388
Just thought I'd share my workbench tonight.  

Hard at work finishing the cable prototypes.  It's a 4 conductor twisted configuration, same setup for balanced and single ended cables.

The connector on the center balanced phone is a HiRose style, which is how we'll terminate the balanced unit.  The cable is our own design, this isn't the final housing, the production cable had to be more flexible and less microphonic than these prototypes. 

On the right you can also see the prototype single-ended 1/4" cable, which I happen to be listening to now (this cable will be an optional upgrade, will work with current phones, and won't be ready for several months due to the difficult right angle connector.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
May 7, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #5,778 of 6,388
Quote:
So I get a very special package today (probably got it days ago, but I hardly check my mailbox) from Dan.

smily_headphones1.gif

My impressions will be updated once I get a feel for them. All I know is that OMG, they're so damn comfy!

Can't use them tonight as I'm busy atm, but I'll listen asap.

popcorn.gif

May 7, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #5,779 of 6,388
lets see...LYR, ASGARD, greenapple, BURSON,
and the earpads get a better seal sitting on the schiit balanced frying pan :p

May 7, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #5,780 of 6,388
Quote:
lets see...LYR, ASGARD, greenapple, BURSON,
and the earpads get a better seal sitting on the schiit balanced frying pan :p

Actually, they do!  I put them there to keep the pads warm.  When I AB test it's essential to get an immediate seal, or it's not apple/apple.  

And that's the Beatles 24-bit USB. Sounds great, though sometimes the dual mono can be a bit tough on headphones. 
basshead.gif

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

May 7, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #5,781 of 6,388
A few songs in...

DAT bass. I don't know what changed from this one and the one loaned to me last time, but DAMN man. This is what I expected the MD to sound like. I don't feel these are lacking bass, whatsoever.

I can FEEL the seal this time.

I may have to rewrite my whole review of them, because these are DEFINITELY a step above what I remember last time.

The treble still sizzles a little more than I'm used to, but it's not fatiguing, just a little bit of zing. They are still voiced on the darker side of neutral, but the treble doesn't sound rolled off or anything. Still well balanced, and full bodied.

I'm very pleased atm. Can't wait to give them a thorough spanking.

I feel Dan didn't hold back with this pair, AT ALL. Cherry picked one hell of a pair, lol.

All I know, is that if I had these the very first time around, I would've been singing a very different tune. They do sound quite...well....DAMN good.

One thing I quite easily noticed is how well textured the tonality is, from the bass to the mids. Like... usually, you have to give up some fullness to allow texture to come out. The MD sounds textured and full at the same time. LOVE that.

May 7, 2013 at 2:11 AM Post #5,783 of 6,388
Quote:

Actually, they do!  I put them there to keep the pads warm.  When I AB test it's essential to get an immediate seal, or it's not apple/apple.  

And that's the Beatles 24-bit USB. Sounds great, though sometimes the dual mono can be a bit tough on headphones. 
basshead.gif

Any plans to "angle" the drivers?  i am kinda key-up on this lately...been trying to angle my beyerdrivers, or any flat drivers in my arsenal. hehe..with blue tac.

May 7, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #5,784 of 6,388
Quote:

Any plans to "angle" the drivers?  i am kinda key-up on this lately...been trying to angle my beyerdrivers, or any flat drivers in my arsenal. hehe..with blue tac.

The Alpha Pads are built to angle the drivers.  

May 7, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #5,785 of 6,388
ya, just came from your website, saw that comfypads.. do these fit the k550 cups btw...anyone tried? 
tongue_smile.gif

May 7, 2013 at 3:20 AM Post #5,786 of 6,388
Quote:
BTW, as promised the upgrades went up on the Accessories page last night...  
beerchug.gif

Just wanted to ask a few quick questions to verify the process. 

1. The checkout shipping charge is for the return shipping, correct?    

2. I have the old sticker and don't want the no-brand all black Vader-stickers sticker, but I do want the new stock sticker with the
   Mr.Speakers / Mad Dog text -- Is there an additional charge to have mine changed?

3. I like where my headband is right now and I know that the new stock headphones are shipping with the band tightened, do I need to  
   specify not to adjust the band, or do you guys leave it how it's shipped to you?

4. Can you make my pads smell like new car leather again? (j/k, but that would be a service I would pay for: Alpha-Pads freshener!)

I know some of these seem like they have fairly obvious answers, but I have no shame in double checking. 

May 7, 2013 at 3:20 AM Post #5,787 of 6,388
Quote:

basshead.gif

The Beatles 24-bit USB is really something else - I use the crossfeed in Foobar 2000 and it is a bit easier to listen to. 

May 7, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #5,788 of 6,388
Quote:
The Beatles 24-bit USB is really something else - I use the crossfeed in Foobar 2000 and it is a bit easier to listen to. 

I may have to try crosshead at some point.  Haven't listened to crosshead in a long time...  

May 7, 2013 at 3:27 AM Post #5,789 of 6,388
Quote:
A few songs in...

DAT bass. I don't know what changed from this one and the one loaned to me last time, but DAMN man. This is what I expected the MD to sound like. I don't feel these are lacking bass, whatsoever.

I can FEEL the seal this time.

I may have to rewrite my whole review of them, because these are DEFINITELY a step above what I remember last time.

The treble still sizzles a little more than I'm used to, but it's not fatiguing, just a little bit of zing. They are still voiced on the darker side of neutral, but the treble doesn't sound rolled off or anything. Still well balanced, and full bodied.

I'm very pleased atm. Can't wait to give them a thorough spanking.

I feel Dan didn't hold back with this pair, AT ALL. Cherry picked one hell of a pair, lol.

All I know, is that if I had these the very first time around, I would've been singing a very different tune. They do sound quite...well....DAMN good.

One thing I quite easily noticed is how well textured the tonality is, from the bass to the mids. Like... usually, you have to give up some fullness to allow texture to come out. The MD sounds textured and full at the same time. LOVE that.

What about the "closed-in" feeling? Is it still there?

I can hear it sometimes. Could it be a small upper-mid suck-out? I have no idea.

I'm torn between the following 2 choices:
- either wait for the European modder to upgrade from 3.0 -> 3.2;
- or sell my pair and get the balanced version to pair with the NFB-27 (standalone).

Tough choice :D
Either way, I want more upper mid energy \o/

May 7, 2013 at 3:28 AM Post #5,790 of 6,388
Quote:

Just wanted to ask a few quick questions to verify the process. 

1. The checkout shipping charge is for the return shipping, correct?    

2. I have the old sticker and don't want the no-brand all black Vader-stickers sticker, but I do want the new stock sticker with the
   Mr.Speakers / Mad Dog text -- Is there an additional charge to have mine changed?

3. I like where my headband is right now and I know that the new stock headphones are shipping with the band tightened, do I need to  
   specify not to adjust the band, or do you guys leave it how it's shipped to you?

4. Can you make my pads smell like new car leather again? (j/k, but that would be a service I would pay for: Alpha-Pads freshener!)

I know some of these seem like they have fairly obvious answers, but I have no shame in double checking. 

All good questions.

1) Yes, that is for return shipping.
2) Order Vader stickers but put a note in the box that you want the new art, not Vader stickers.  
3) If a phone already has Alpha Pads we won't adjust the band.
4) No, alas we're not doing leather treatment.  But I think there was a long discussion of leather care 40 pages back...

Good questions, and I will probably add the answers to the website.  Thanks for asking...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back