"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
May 7, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #5,806 of 6,388
Quote:
Should add options for dual entry and mini XLR's installed. And lastly, since you're using
that techflex sleeving (seemingly so), colors should be offered.

The Hirose connectors seem to be pretty nice and sturdy, but I wouldn't rule out trying a 4-Pin Mini-XLR if it can fit.  It may be too big still as I think those Hirose connectors can get pretty small.  

Still, stellar work so far from Dan as expected!  Sadly I'm not able to pre-order at this time, but I'm really looking forward to the Balanced MD!

May 7, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #5,807 of 6,388
Finally got the Mad Dog today... They took their time to travel to Norway... But it was really worth waiting for them :) To early to comment too much about their quality's, but paired with my Project Sunrise ii and Hegel HD 11 DAC they sound amazing out of the box!

May 7, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #5,808 of 6,388
For those who ordered updates don't be surprised to get a shipping notice.  I'll be printing shipping as soon as you order and setting the shipping labels aside.  Obviously can't ship until the phones have been received!

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
May 7, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #5,809 of 6,388
Quote:
For those who ordered updates don't be surprised to get a shipping notice.  I'll be printing shipping as soon as you order and setting the shipping labels aside.  Obviously can't ship until the phones have been received!

Great, put in the order, now I just have to remember to send my headphones out.  I'll just throw in a copy of order in the box with my headphones. Not really sure what else to do.

May 7, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #5,810 of 6,388
Quote:

eek.gif

I definitely prefer single entry headphones, even for balanced. 

May 7, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #5,811 of 6,388
Quote:

Great, put in the order, now I just have to remember to send my headphones out.  I'll just throw in a copy of order in the box with my headphones. Not really sure what else to do.

That's it.  

The only detail is if you have any special things like sticker upgrades (order Vader stickers and put receipt in box indicating if you want new or Vader art if your phones have the original art).

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

May 7, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #5,812 of 6,388
Quote:

That's it.  

The only detail is if you have any special things like sticker upgrades (order Vader stickers and put receipt in box indicating if you want new or Vader art if your phones have the original art).

I'm wondering if my pair of Mad Dogs have the "new" art or the old one? Is there some pictures of the new art so that I can verify? 

May 7, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #5,813 of 6,388
Quote:

I'm wondering if my pair of Mad Dogs have the "new" art or the old one? Is there some pictures of the new art so that I can verify? 

Picture of a dog with soundwaves in the ears = old

Raised white text = new

May 7, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #5,816 of 6,388
For now we'll only be doing single-entry.  It keeps the costs lower and reduces the risk we'll destroy a phone in the upgrade process.  Third parties can do dual entry for those who want to go that path.  

May 7, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #5,817 of 6,388

Mad Dog w/ Alpha Pads (3.0) and AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition Shootout

First, the pictures:

Equipment:

Audio-gd Reference 3 --> 
Audio-gd Reference 1 -->
CKKIII Headphone Amplifier

Sounds:

(All HDtracks for testing)

Alison Krauss - Paper Airplanes
Bill Evans - Waltz for Debby
Jazz at the Pawnshop
Norah Jones - Come Away with me
Getz / Gilberto - Getz / Gilberto

Review:

But first, for a little story:

A few years back I was attending a particular head-fi meet in San Diego (mrspeakers actually had the table right next to me). At this time the LCD-2 was reigning king, and was still new. The HE-6 was just a month or so on the market. A head-fier sat down with me with his brand new HD650 and we sat with my gear and did a quick 3 way bout. After it all he said something along the lines of "if you listen to something in particular, like the cymbals, the HD650 sounds like a really good recording of a cymbal, but the planar magnetic headphones sound like the cymbal is really there". I think back to that every now and then while comparing dynamic and planar headphones, and I think that it really holds here as well.

Comfort:

AKG K702 65th Anniversary EditionLight, light light. The pads are soft velour, and the headband is now smoothed out (after how long?). It get the points for comfort.
Mad Dog: Noticeably heavier. The pads feel much better. The leather is just soft and incredibly comfortable. 

Treble:
AKG K702 65th Anniversary EditionTreble is less extended and a little softer. It is a little warmer and less impactful. 
Mad Dog: Treble has a bit more extension and more microdetail. Norah Jones is +++ on these. It get the points for treble.

Mids:
AKG K702 65th Anniversary EditionSmoother, more pronounced. The mids (similar to the bass, partially due to bass) somewhat 'linger in the air' in a romantisized way. They aren't as controlled or tight.
Mad Dog: Mids still sound a little drawn back compared to the bass. Sound is still very tight and controlled in this region. It means instruments in here get a lot of breathing room for detail.
Mids are a toss up based on personal preference/the mood I'm in.

Bass:
AKG K702 65th Anniversary EditionBass is a little tougher to put my finger on. The AKGs had more bloom overall. Similar to the mids, the bass would hit, and float out a little bit more. It makes fast moving bass that various notes harder to differentiate.
Mad Dog: It's somewhat difficult to pick out which one has more overall bass impact, since the AKGs don't control the bass notes as well, and the MD have a lot more control. In the end, I think the MD have more overall impact in the bass, but it also has a little more control.  It get the points for bass.

Sound Stage:
AKG K702 65th Anniversary EditionDefinitely a winner in stound stage overall It get the points for Sound Stage.
Mad Dog: Good competition for a closed headphone. Actually some of the best I've heard considering how much of a seal is provided. 

Imaging:
AKG K702 65th Anniversary EditionImaging is very good, and retains some of the strengths of the original K702.
Mad Dog: Imaging is just more accurate. Within the smaller soundstage, it just feels like there is pinpoint accuracy on where instruments are located. You can pick out exact placement a little easier.  It get the points for imaging.

Details:
AKG K702 65th Anniversary EditionGood detail retrieval, but some details get lost due to the bass lingering out.
Mad Dog: Excellent overall details. Individual instruments being plucked. In "My Foolish Heart" you can really hear the drum brush on the snare drum. The individual strands on the brush start to stand out.  It get the points for details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back