"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
May 1, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #5,611 of 6,388
I think it'd be a good idea to post fr graphs of the changes on his website so that people can visualize what is different between the updated models. It isn't clear which version is currently represented by the measurements on his website, but I suspect it is an older build since one of the lines is the Dog Pad version, which will be discontinued. Though I'm not satisfied with the justifications I've read, I'm not going to take the bait and argue with anybody. However, seeing that upgrades may be never-ending for the Mad Dogs, the Paradox by LFF doesn't seem so expensive anymore...

Yeah good point. I'm not sure how much better the T50rp's driver can sound with any more incremental updates.

May 1, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #5,612 of 6,388
I guess I'll chime in just a bit. I currently have the 3 and either 3.1 or 3.2. I've done a little back to back listening. I decided I liked the upgrade. The difference is pretty subtle, but readily noticeable. Fuller and flatter in the bass region, a bit more lush in the mids, a bit clearer but not unpleasantly brighter in the treble. The 3.0 is just a bit more "taut" and the 3.1/3.2 whichever I have is best described as even a bit more voluptuous. The 3.0 (I hope I'm getting this right - calling dog pads upgraded to Alpha pads 3.0) is excellent. The 3.1/3.2 is just a bit more so. Given the hundred$ spent on incremental increases around here, $30 is a cheap upgrade. Then again, refer back to the 3.0 being excellent. Upgrade not necessary. If you have dog pads though, it is very worth it to go to the Alpha pads at least. All with the usual acronyms - IMHO, ymmv.

May 1, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #5,613 of 6,388
Quote:
Yeah, it'd be nice for us Aussies to get a bit more support. I guess it's the nature of having a modded headphone in that "upgrades" will always be occurring. I second the suggestion for Dan to create his own original product and I'm sure he could get the financial support through his customers if he started a Kickstarter project or something. 

I'd never presume to speak for or be apologist for anyone or corp out there.

That said, what absolutely fascinates me here is a limited production custom headphone from San D. has made it's way all over the globe. 20 or even 10 years ago that would have been absolutely impossible to achieve. That alone is worth stopping for a moment and pondering.

As a business case this chuffs me no end. While customer frustration is always a painful thing to watch, I cannot help but think that a new type business model for limited production items is being gestated here.

Product being constantly evolved.

International demand for product.

By and large an almost obscenely high customer satisfaction ratio.

The only dent in the armour here seems to be long range support.

We do live in interesting times!

May 1, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #5,614 of 6,388
Can anybody describe the difference in sound between the 840 pads and the Alpha pads? I'm currently using the 840 pads, but I might want to try the Alpha pads.

May 1, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #5,615 of 6,388
Quote:
You obviously didn't read the other posts nor take any notice of where I am located. To send the MD's back to Dan would cost upwards of $60 AUD one way plus the $30 US he wants for the "re-tune". I only got them just over a month ago and now they're superceded by another revision?

I've read every single post in this thread from the beginning (including yours), and have read your profile (through a few updates).  I'm not trying to be insensitive to your plight, but would suggest being patient.  As Dan said toward the end of one of his posts, Australian support is a possibility.  It won't happen before EU support, but it does seem likely.  If that happens, your cost would fall more in line with US customers.  In the mean time, keep your chin up (or whatever Australians say to encourage someone to "hang in there").

I understand your POV, and I thought very long and hard about this program because I knew some percentage would feel the same.  From the feedback I've received, I think it's safe to say most people like the program, but of course not everyone will.

In the end, my goal is to make a great product, and I'm not going to sit on improvements that benefit everyone (or can benefit everyone at some point) to follow a path of least resistance where nobody gets the best we could make or I wait some arbitrary amount of time to roll them out (which benefits nobody and makes an even larger pool of people who ultimately need updates once they're available).  From my POV, it'd be easier to sit back and do nothing, after all nobody gets upset when vendors do nothing to a product people like...  But *I* would know, and not be happy if I'm not delivering my best (for better or worse).

I want these headphones to give lasting value and joy for years, and I'm dedicated to transparency and investment protection. It's a LOT more work for me, from both a logistics and a PR perspective, but I believe it is better for everyone long-term.  Having an official program will give new and old customers confidence their product can be upgraded whenever it makes sense, and avoid short-term pressure to upgrade now or never, etc.  If this doesn't work for you leave the phones alone.  They were the best I could make when you bought them, and if you enjoyed them you should still enjoy them.  

The updates are incremental and will neither change your life or brighten your teeth, and I am not going to over market them.  But they are noticeable and good.  Others will share their experiences and comment, I'm sure.  If you are overseas, just wait until some domestic users have shared their experiences to weigh the cost and timing vs perceived improvements. In general I'd suggest overseas owners wait at least 6 months to update, just in case anything else comes out.  There's no pressure or hurry to act, after all...

And as I have said, I am extremely happy with where we are, so I expect improvements to be less frequent and make more subtle differences (if we even make any more updates).

Finally, international is very much in my mind.  We're not a huge company, and getting local service and support for single country markets, no matter how large, requires us to have a large enough installed base to create a business opportunity for local vendors.  Six months ago we were too small to look at support for the EU, now we're getting to a size where conversation makes sense.  I don't know when that will happen for Australia, but I can guess it will happen at some point as it is our fourth largest export market.

May 1, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #5,616 of 6,388
Quote:
Can anybody describe the difference in sound between the 840 pads and the Alpha pads? I'm currently using the 840 pads, but I might want to try the Alpha pads.

The short answer is there is a world of improvement between 840 pads and Alpha pads. The alpha pads are better in every regard. Sound quality, comfort, ect...If you can afford them, they are certainly worth it. 

May 1, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #5,617 of 6,388
I think they are probably worth the extra expense for their comfort alone - they are like buttah.

May 1, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #5,618 of 6,388
What changes in regard to sound quality? is there more or less of anything? 

I don't own a mad dog, I have a self modded T50rp.
Quote:

The short answer is there is a world of improvement between 840 pads and Alpha pads. The alpha pads are better in every regard. Sound quality, comfort, ect...If you can afford them, they are certainly worth it. 

May 1, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #5,619 of 6,388
First the Alpha pad is nearly twice the thickness of the 840 pad. This will move the cup/driver away from the ear and will certainly change the sound signature depending on the mod. I can't speak for how it would effect your mod...only the MD. The Alpha is also angled back to front. This will also change the signature. 

On the MD the sound sound is deeper and wider and will sound much like an open hp. With the MD the sound improved across the entire spectrum with the new pads. 

gL!!

May 1, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #5,620 of 6,388
It's hard to say how they will affect your modded set, but based on Mr. Speaker's website, https://www.mrspeakers.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=61 , it seems like you'll hear a difference in the bass  region. However, you may not notice initially because you'll be paying too much attention to how comfortable they feel (no exaggeration).

May 1, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #5,621 of 6,388
Just a question for Dan:

I am about to order the Balanced Dogs and was wondering if they can be powered by the Hifiman adapter that I use for the HE6? I already have a balanced to single adapter so the single part is taken care of. My concern is that it won't blow up the Maddogs unless the volume is raised too much or if there will be any impedance mismatch.

May 1, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #5,622 of 6,388
Quote:
Just a question for Dan:

I am about to order the Balanced Dogs and was wondering if they can be powered by the Hifiman adapter that I use for the HE6? I already have a balanced to single adapter so the single part is taken care of. My concern is that it won't blow up the Maddogs unless the volume is raised too much or if there will be any impedance mismatch.

I can confirm that the HiFiMan speaker adapter works for the balanced Mad Dog.  The Mad Dog and HE-6 both present a non-reactive 50Ω load.  You'll be fine.

May 1, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #5,624 of 6,388
Quote:
I'd never presume to speak for or be apologist for anyone or corp out there.

That said, what absolutely fascinates me here is a limited production custom headphone from San D. has made it's way all over the globe. 20 or even 10 years ago that would have been absolutely impossible to achieve. That alone is worth stopping for a moment and pondering.

As a business case this chuffs me no end. While customer frustration is always a painful thing to watch, I cannot help but think that a new type business model for limited production items is being gestated here.

Product being constantly evolved.

International demand for product.

By and large an almost obscenely high customer satisfaction ratio.

The only dent in the armour here seems to be long range support.

We do live in interesting times!

Well said. If your not happy with the continuous upgrades coming out follow dan's path create your own mod. You never know it might work really well and it might end up on a popular headphone. Then you can be like see this that's me bitch. 

May 1, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #5,625 of 6,388
I have neither the time, capital, or know-how. If I did, I would release a finished product rather than a work-in-progress. I wonder if he offers 'downgrades' as in the ability to revert back to an earlier version. That might alleviate grumblings from people like me if the newer mods were marketed as 'different' rather than 'better', but I guess the cat is already out of the bag. Oh well, life moves on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back