"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
May 2, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #5,626 of 6,388
You do know that for a while, both Audeze and HiFiMan were operating the same way with their initial headphones, right? MrSpeakers isn't really doing anything differently from the early days of either Audeze or HiFiMan in that respect.

I'm sure that eventually MrSpeakers will have a more solidified product.

May 2, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #5,627 of 6,388
In the world of startup, "Finish" is the F-world of a company. A product must be improved continuously until the end of their life cycle.Dan improves his product, step by step.
Think about: SamSung release Galaxy S4 while they dont care about upgrading software for S3 or Audeze didnt offer upgrade from LCD2.1 to 2.2. Isn't that fair?? Dan is much more fair by provide upgrading package for his customers. I bet his margin of making new Mad Dog is higher than the upgrade price, but Dan still offer upgrade services. Isn't that nice?

May 2, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #5,628 of 6,388
It's called progress besides there's no reason you have to pay/buy for every iteration. I bought a set in August last year and sold it recently to fund the Balanced Dogs. Missed out on the Dogpads and Alpha pads and plopped for the balanced instead.

Will wait till next year to see further improvements and decide to buy or not.

May 2, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #5,629 of 6,388
Yeah, we'd make way more money selling new phones and obsoleting the old designs vs upgrades, which truly are break even.  

I have some customers who own dozens of phones, and others who worked overtime and saved for months to buy these headphones, so I take my obligation to deliver value very seriously. The price is low compared to summit gear, but that doesn't mean this isn't an important investment for a lot of people.  Thus I want to make this a special, lasting product, not a launch point to upsell.

Is our approach unique?  I think so.  Perfect?  Doubt it.  I can't solve global shipping costs, yet, so it's more of a burden for overseas customers.  But I get this, and hopefully we'll address it in the EU, then other locations over time.  Patience will be appreciated!

In the meantime, anyone with other ideas is always welcome to send me a PM.  I have no monopoly on good ideas, that's for sure.  

And yes, I promise the frequency of updates will decrease; the pads are not going to change, and they are the main driver for other changes (plus I have the new balanced phones to get out the door!).

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
May 2, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #5,630 of 6,388
Just the fact that you offer an upgrade for previous buyers is a unique deal. I would love to see how many electronic companies offer a similar deal at a nominal price.
Maybe the problem is with our consumerist nature where you have to have the latest and the greatest, but that comes at a price. You gotta pay to play.

May 2, 2013 at 3:56 AM Post #5,631 of 6,388
That, and we're a little spoiled by having the Internet rumor-mill alert us (or at least give us hints) as to when new products or upgrades come out. I'm only 23, but my folks knows a guy who bought a mainframe for his business back in the 1980s. A little over a week after said purchase was made, a new, more powerful product was announced -- and for $10,000 less, to boot!

The magnitude of that example -- and the nature of the product used -- may not make it the best comparison, but I think the point I'm trying to make is still valid. It's (as far as I can tell) harder to hide when new products are coming out -- or when revisions have been made to existing products -- in the information age. When I decided to buy a Samsung Galaxy S3 in January, rumors of the Galaxy S4 were already starting to trickle out. At any rate, I certainly knew it was coming sooner rather than later.

I don't know. I've just been sitting on this feeling for a few hours now, and now that "gikigill" has opened up that it might be just our human nature I figured I'd let it out.

EDIT: I don't want to sound too harsh toward those complaining, or to imply that I think they're whiners. Certainly, I think the international owners have it more difficult, and that is a problem. I guess I just am a bit taken aback by how quickly this thread has turned from glowing to sour.
frown.gif

May 2, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #5,633 of 6,388
My mind is boggled after reading some of today's posts. Do people overseas not understand what they were getting into?

I've ordered numerous products from Japan, China, Israel, etc, and fully understood what that entailed: time, costs, etc.

You ordered a product. If it wasn't satisfactory then it should have been returned. Otherwise I see no reason why an upgrade option should even matter; these are headphones, not computers. The the music is not progressing to require more processing speed and memory. An upgrade is not required to continue enjoying your music.

Life lesson : If you want the latest and greatest all the time then work to make it possible, otherwise learn live without it.

If you already like the product, and you do because you still own them and we're satisfied enough to not return them , then you should realize that nothing has changed.

I'm seeing unrealistic expectations of a company that really has no obligation to offer what it does at an amazing value, but does anyway out of a desire to do business a better way. And I see it being nit picked by a few that fail to see outside themselves to the bigger picture.

I understand the point being made by the few that find fault with the current situation, but I find that their protests lack a firm foundation and are based mostly in self interest.

May 2, 2013 at 4:30 AM Post #5,634 of 6,388
My mind is boggled after reading some of today's posts. Do people overseas not understand what they were getting into?

I've ordered numerous products from Japan, China, Israel, etc, and fully understood what that entailed: time, costs, etc.

You ordered a product. If it wasn't satisfactory then it should have been returned. Otherwise I see no reason why an upgrade option should even matter; these are headphones, not computers. The the music is not progressing to require more processing speed and memory. An upgrade is not required to continue enjoying your music.

Life lesson : If you want the latest and greatest all the time then work to make it possible, otherwise learn live without it.

If you already like the product, and you do because you still own them and we're satisfied enough to not return them , then you should realize that nothing has changed.

I'm seeing unrealistic expectations of a company that really has no obligation to offer what it does at an amazing value, but does anyway out of a desire to do business a better way. And I see it being nit picked by a few that fail to see outside themselves to the bigger picture.

I understand the point being made by the few that find fault with the current situation, but I find that their protests lack a firm foundation and are based mostly in self interest.

Lol what else would our interests be based on?

May 2, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #5,635 of 6,388
Lol what else would our interests be based on?

What I mean by that is you are so blinded by your self interest that your arguments lack validity and you are unable to see the realities of what it takes to accomplish what you are asking for.

Hope that is clear enough.

May 2, 2013 at 5:17 AM Post #5,636 of 6,388
What I mean by that is you are so blinded by your self interest that your arguments lack validity and you are unable to see the realities of what it takes to accomplish what you are asking for.

Hope that is clear enough.

Dan's already got a great product so I think he should focus more on customer service.

I hope that's clear enough.

May 2, 2013 at 5:26 AM Post #5,637 of 6,388
I'm going to attempt to change the subject before things get out of hand - I can smell the animosity coming through this thread all the way over here in Saigon. What amp are you using with you using with your Mad Dogs? I've been doing a bit of research and I'm pretty sure that I'm going to pick up an Aune T1, but I'd love to hear how different amps/dacs irregardless of price affect the MDs. Has anybody's jaw dropped after using them with a particular amp? Have any been cringe-worthy?

May 2, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #5,638 of 6,388
I'm going to attempt to change the subject before things get out of hand - I can smell the animosity coming through this thread all the way over here in Saigon. What amp are you using with you using with your Mad Dogs? I've been doing a bit of research and I'm pretty sure that I'm going to pick up an Aune T1, but I'd love to hear how different amps/dacs irregardless of price affect the MDs. Has anybody's jaw dropped after using them with a particular amp? Have any been cringe-worthy?

They sound pretty good out of my NFB- 10. I can only imagine the balanced ones will sound even better.

May 2, 2013 at 6:06 AM Post #5,639 of 6,388
Quote:
Dan's already got a great product so I think he should focus more on customer service.

Mate, the customer service here is exemplary. I've been on ebay/amazon/online shopping for years, having sold/purchased thousands of items and all I can say is that if mr speakers is seen as an example of bad trading, then I would struggle to find an example of a good one.

May 2, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #5,640 of 6,388
Quote:

There are over 375 pages of posts. I doubt that a person could go more than two pages without seeing someone compliment Dan on his exemplary customer service. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back