"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
May 1, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #5,597 of 6,388
It's easy to say wait for domestic users to chime in with their impressions but if I lived by that rule I'd have wasted a lot of money. A lot of "impressions" on hear are nothing but hype.

May 1, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #5,598 of 6,388
Quote:
Well no, the growth rate is about a year ahead of what I expected.  Thanks to all of you for your support and encouragement, it's what made it possible.

beerchug.gif

Looking forward to eventually seeing a product designed and built from scratch, rather than a modded product.  I sincerely hope that one day soon you will have the time, energy, and the means to make this possible.  If you get to a point where you just need the funding to make it happen, I'd even be willing to prepay with some kind of kickstarter program.  Anyway, just dreaming out loud.  

Thanks for the wonderful product and support.

May 1, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #5,599 of 6,388
Quote:
CantScareMe, that is one heckuva lot of gear in your profile.  You must have a dedicated "headphone room..."

Not a dedicated headphone room. The only room I have is a headphone one!
Half a dozen or so sennheiser hh10 stands attached to bookshelves/tables/shelves make heaphones much easier to store and access. 

Currently the only closed headphone (Isolating + Non Leaking) that I have come across to sound better than the mad dogs are the ultrasone signature dj. It's such a shame that these ultrasones use the awful physical design of the sig pro's. It supports a tight unforgiving clamp with thin pads and a plastic body with little padding on the headband - for £600 I would want something with better comfort and am probably waiting for ultrasone to release a headphone with similar sound characteristics but a much improved shell.

I

May 1, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #5,600 of 6,388
Quote:
It's easy to say wait for domestic users to chime in with their impressions but if I lived by that rule I'd have wasted a lot of money. A lot of "impressions" on hear are nothing but hype.

+123456789

Then again, the incremental updates are just that: incremental. Not like, say, the LCD2 Version 2 update.

I'll just echo this post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/613576/mad-dog-by-mrspeakers-modified-fostex-t50rp-review/5610#post_9400078

Upgrade when you feel necessary. Don't upgrade if you don't want to and like the sound. It's really that simple.

May 1, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #5,601 of 6,388
I'd rather Dan spent more time developing the product and when he discovered an "incremental" improvement exploring it further before just releasing it. That way when he released upgrades they'd be more significant and worth the asking price.

May 1, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #5,602 of 6,388
Quote:
+123456789

Then again, the incremental updates are just that: incremental. Not like, say, the LCD2 Version 2 update.

I'll just echo this post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/613576/mad-dog-by-mrspeakers-modified-fostex-t50rp-review/5610#post_9400078

Upgrade when you feel necessary. Don't upgrade if you don't want to and like the sound. It's really that simple.

keep in mine to all things are ultimarly subjective in teh end, yes objectivly dan has increased the bass BUT will you hear it. Depends on your tastes and your likings. You might not want to change em if you already LOVE them, but for me I had issues with them and it seems like this revision solved a good number of the itsy bitsy deatils I wasn't crazy about [love to read that the bass is tightened] So As 100 people have said, if it not broke don't fix it and the only person who defines "broiken" or un sastifactory is you! 

May 1, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #5,603 of 6,388
Quote:
I'd rather Dan spent more time developing the product and when he discovered an "incremental" improvement exploring it further before just releasing it. That way when he released upgrades they'd be more significant and worth the asking price.

Isn't the whole point that you decide when they're worth the asking price?  If you really want to, you can send them in every time there's a small tuning change.  Or, if you're like most people, you just wait until a few revisions have past and then upgrade.  I left my main pair I use at work with the original 840 pad version up until 3.2.  Before I brought my other pair back to work, I had 3.0 and 3.2 with me to listen to side by side.  

I would absolutely love if I could send in my smartphone and get the newest processor, extra memory, or a few extra pixels (along with a tuneup) for only $30.  Would I send it in every single time there's a new processor?  No.  But getting it refreshed once or twice a year instead of buying a new one every other year would be outstanding.

May 1, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #5,604 of 6,388
Quote:

Isn't the whole point that you decide when they're worth the asking price?  If you really want to, you can send them in every time there's a small tuning change.  Or, if you're like most people, you just wait until a few revisions have past and then upgrade.  I left my main pair I use at work with the original 840 pad version up until 3.2.  Before I brought my other pair back to work, I had 3.0 and 3.2 with me to listen to side by side.  

I would absolutely love if I could send in my smartphone and get the newest processor, extra memory, or a few extra pixels (along with a tuneup) for only $30.  Would I send it in every single time there's a new processor?  No.  But getting it refreshed once or twice a year instead of buying a new one every other year would be outstanding.

You obviously didn't read the other posts nor take any notice of where I am located. To send the MD's back to Dan would cost upwards of $60 AUD one way plus the $30 US he wants for the "re-tune". I only got them just over a month ago and now they're superceded by another revision?

May 1, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #5,605 of 6,388
As someone mentioned earlier to Dan, can we get some measurements of the new revision whenever you get a chance?

May 1, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #5,606 of 6,388
What Matt suggested was improved upon from 3.0 to 3.2 is exactly what I feel is missing with my Mad Dogs that might perhaps make them even better.  I want just a bit stronger bass presence.  I can EQ to achieve the ideal sound that I enjoy, but I am not able to apply EQ in all situations with my current gear.  

May 1, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #5,607 of 6,388
Quote:
You obviously didn't read the other posts nor take any notice of where I am located. To send the MD's back to Dan would cost upwards of $60 AUD one way plus the $30 US he wants for the "re-tune". I only got them just over a month ago and now they're superceded by another revision?

Now you have me interested. No vested interest at all here. You are looking at 90 + dollars all told and perhaps VAT 30 bucks as well. If I look at that as a percentage of initial cost that is a great chunk of the IPP.  That makes me question if  the month old thing is at issue here. No sarcasm or smartarsedness here, but I genuinely would like to know what time element for upgrade would make you feel comfortable?

We also never touched on the transit time element. I think being without my preferred phones for an extended period would irk me as much as the money.

Dan seems to be looking into a UK dealer, so, if there is enough customer base down your way, perhaps an authorized service rep might be an idea.

May 1, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #5,608 of 6,388
The $30 is staying the same across all upgrades, so I actually think it would make much more sense and save money to wait and spend $30 one time for version 4 or even 5 than $30 for every little upgrade. This would be my mentality especially if I were an international customer.

May 1, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #5,609 of 6,388
Quote:
Now you have me interested. No vested interest at all here. You are looking at 90 + dollars all told and perhaps VAT 30 bucks as well. If I look at that as a percentage of initial cost that is a great chunk of the IPP.  That makes me question if  the month old thing is at issue here. No sarcasm or smartarsedness here, but I genuinely would like to know what time element for upgrade would make you feel comfortable?

We also never touched on the transit time element. I think being without my preferred phones for an extended period would irk me as much as the money.

Dan seems to be looking into a UK dealer, so, if there is enough customer base down your way, perhaps an authorized service rep might be an idea.

Yeah, it'd be nice for us Aussies to get a bit more support. I guess it's the nature of having a modded headphone in that "upgrades" will always be occurring. I second the suggestion for Dan to create his own original product and I'm sure he could get the financial support through his customers if he started a Kickstarter project or something. 

May 1, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #5,610 of 6,388
I think it'd be a good idea to post fr graphs of the changes on his website so that people can visualize what is different between the updated models. It isn't clear which version is currently represented by the measurements on his website, but I suspect it is an older build since one of the lines is the Dog Pad version, which will be discontinued. Though I'm not satisfied with the justifications I've read, I'm not going to take the bait and argue with anybody. However, seeing that upgrades may be never-ending for the Mad Dogs, the Paradox by LFF doesn't seem so expensive anymore...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back