"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Dec 29, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #2,446 of 6,388
Quote:
First off, I love the maddogs. But they are closer to the 650 than to the 880's. They are well balanced with a nice touch of warmth with the dogpadz. In fairness I'd call the dt880 on the bright side.
Perhaps if you ordered with the shure pads they would suit you better. I only have the dogpadz version so maybe someone else can comment on the other version.

I'll grant the 880s are on the bright side .... to my ears HD650 are too dark.... ideally I like FR midway between HD650 & DT880.  Probably difficult question for someone else to answer for me, but am I hearing a red light?  I probably won't appreciate the MDs?

Dec 29, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #2,449 of 6,388
Seriously? I own the HD600 and I've been enjoying the Mad Dogs quite a bit...
IMO they're like a more refined HD600 to my ears.

Dec 29, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #2,450 of 6,388
I agree. But in fairness I have to admit that they are a touch darker when people ask. BUT...as you say it's a very refined touch of darkness. The reproduction of mids and treble is so very nice on these. I can see why people would compare to the lcd2 which also has that touch of darkness but sounds wonderfully. Dark with detail...
wink.gif

Dec 29, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #2,451 of 6,388
I agree. But in fairness I have to admit that they are a touch darker when people ask. BUT...as you say it's a very refined touch of darkness. The reproduction of mids and treble is so very nice on these. I can see why people would compare to the lcd2 which also has that touch of darkness but sounds wonderfully. Dark with detail...:wink:

I've noticed the HD600 being just a touch brighter, but to be honest, the treble is more pleasing to my ears than the Hd600, along with the bass and the mid range :)

Dec 29, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #2,452 of 6,388
I'm guessing any of the MD wouldn't fit in for people who enjoys open and extended treble or listens to relatively neutral music. My guess is based on a few friends who I'd describe as above, and all of them said both MDs are too dark for their taste.

Dec 29, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #2,453 of 6,388
Quote:
I'm guessing any of the MD wouldn't fit in for people who enjoys open and extended treble or listens to relatively neutral music. My guess is based on a few friends who I'd describe as above, and all of them said both MDs are too dark for their taste.

Well I guess you can always pay from $500 to $730 for the Paradox..

Dec 29, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #2,454 of 6,388
Well I guess you can always pay from $500 to $730 for the Paradox..

Yes, but for people with a strict budget (like me), the MD gave a very good value.

Dec 29, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #2,456 of 6,388
Anybody here do any major recables yet?  I skimmed over the thread, and only saw a few people mention a recable.

Dec 29, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #2,457 of 6,388
Quote:
Anybody here do any major recables yet?  I skimmed over the thread, and only saw a few people mention a recable.

Most have hardwire jobs with their MD. A mixture of Q, BTG Audio and Norse Cable for the most part.
Some also have the V-moda cable.

Dec 29, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #2,458 of 6,388
Well, since my earlier posts here, I've had a chance to read a lot more of this thread, and the description on the Mr. Speakers site, and since I love my ortho HE-500s, have nothing against deep, non-bloated, non-muddy, linear bass, and am in desperate need of a good closed pair of phones to compliment my open collection, I've ordered a pair.  There's really only one way to see if I'll enjoy these.  Best case, I'll have a new love I can listen to at work where open phones are not an option ..... and worst case is someone here will be able to snag a return pair --- I take immaculate care of my phones, guys  :)

Dec 30, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #2,459 of 6,388
Well, since my earlier posts here, I've had a chance to read a lot more of this thread, and the description on the Mr. Speakers site, and since I love my ortho HE-500s, have nothing against deep, non-bloated, non-muddy, linear bass, and am in desperate need of a good closed pair of phones to compliment my open collection, I've ordered a pair.  There's really only one way to see if I'll enjoy these.  Best case, I'll have a new love I can listen to at work where open phones are not an option ..... and worst case is someone here will be able to snag a return pair --- I take immaculate care of my phones, guys  :)

They are a great work phone. Closed, good isolation, comfy, and sound really good.

Dec 30, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #2,460 of 6,388
Quote:

popcorn.gif

I'm interested to hear your opinions on the MDs vs the HE-500s :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back