"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Dec 27, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #2,416 of 6,388
I'm on holiday travels ATM, and only brought the CMoy (JDS Labs-built) and a uDAC-2 with me. Opinions with the MDs before I make any real judgments?

Dec 27, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #2,417 of 6,388
Quote:
IMO the e10 with the MD is essentially a waste. The MD is not an easy to drive ortho. You need a decent desktop amp. 

Yes, to get the best out of it we all know that you should have a good desktop setup. That's true with almost any ortho. However, for somebody getting the MDs as their first can a simple $150-ish amp would do the trick, if not do it justice.

Dec 27, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #2,418 of 6,388
Quote:
Yes, to get the best out of it we all know that you should have a good desktop setup. That's true with almost any ortho. However, for somebody getting the MDs as their first can a simple $150-ish amp would do the trick, if not do it justice.

You got a point there, my problem was my first desktop amp was the Lyr lol so now I have the idea of that sound and power in my head while looking for portable amps. I settled on the Leckerton MK-II, I know its no power house but it works well with no orthos. Soon enough we'll know how it drives the MDs. 

Dec 27, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #2,419 of 6,388
Ok Mad Dog users, listen up! I'm giving away a free vmoda cable to someone in the CONUS that can help me decide between the HD650's and the HD600's. PM me with suggestions and reasons why or informative threads and whoever I feel has been the most helpful gets the cable. It's still in the package and hasn't been opened. I got it for the M-100 but those cans def aren't for me so I'm returning them and can't be bothered to return the cable for a measly 17 bucks. 
smile_phones.gif

Dec 27, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #2,421 of 6,388
Quote:
Ok Mad Dog users, listen up! I'm giving away a free vmoda cable to someone in the CONUS that can help me decide between the HD650's and the HD600's. PM me with suggestions and reasons why or informative threads and whoever I feel has been the most helpful gets the cable. It's still in the package and hasn't been opened. I got it for the M-100 but those cans def aren't for me so I'm returning them and can't be bothered to return the cable for a measly 17 bucks
smile_phones.gif

Whoa, similar to my offering.  I have two V-Moda cables that I'm giving away free, too.  However, I need $20.00 to cover the shipping charge.
wink.gif

The love / hate relationship with Fostex headphones took a wrong turn, and I've left the family.  Thanks for your statement on the M-100, though, as people are eager for input on those headphones.  The bass seems too exrtreme, though.

Dec 27, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #2,422 of 6,388
Quote:

Whoa, similar to my offering.  I have two V-Moda cables that I'm giving away free, too.  However, I need $20.00 to cover the shipping charge.
wink.gif

The love / hate relationship with Fostex headphones took a wrong turn, and I've left the family.  Thanks for your statement on the M-100, though, as people are eager for input on those headphones.  The bass seems too exrtreme, though.

It's funny cause the guys in the M-100 thread like love them. I think a majority of them aren't used to higher end cans, I know Val is a friend of Jude and I'm sure he's a cool guy and all but IMO those M-100''s border on the line of unacceptable for 300 USD. There's just no way. The bass is more quantity than quality and the mids are way too recessed for me and I'm not that picky. 

I wish I had a pair of MD's to test with my Leckerton MK-II, I love the MDs to death but I'm just afraid of not being able to drive them. That's why for now I think I've decided on the HD600s.

Dec 27, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #2,423 of 6,388
OK, I couldn't resist. After not having any "serious" headphones for a while, I needed to get back on track. Due to my listening environment (noisy desktop PC fans), I needed a closed headphone. I was lamenting not being able get something in the same ballpark as a Senn HD650, HD600, Denon D600, or Hifiman HE-400.

Someone over on AVS forum recommended the Mad Dog, so I found this thread. Thanks to the many opinions that the Mad Dog is comparable, I just ordered a pair. In fact, I went for the Dog Pad version ($300). And, from MattTCG's post #2398, I ordered a modi/magni combo.

So, for the price of a pair of Senn HD650s, I can get the Mad Dogs and a DAC + amp combo. The nice part is that I can use my laptop to stream FLAC files. That's important, as it allows me to go to a more quiet listening environment (change rooms).

(To be clear, I've been a Head-Fi member for quite a while, but wasn't happy when they went to the new format and stayed away. I'm getting used to it, but it's tough to wade through all the marketing. As long as there is good info here, I'll stick around.)

Dec 27, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #2,424 of 6,388
Quote:
OK, I couldn't resist. After not having any "serious" headphones for a while, I needed to get back on track. Due to my listening environment (noisy desktop PC fans), I needed a closed headphone. I was lamenting not being able get something in the same ballpark as a Senn HD650, HD600, Denon D600, or Hifiman HE-400.

Someone over on AVS forum recommended the Mad Dog, so I found this thread. Thanks to the many opinions that the Mad Dog is comparable, I just ordered a pair. In fact, I went for the Dog Pad version ($300). And, from MattTCG's post #2398, I ordered a modi/magni combo.

So, for the price of a pair of Senn HD650s, I can get the Mad Dogs and a DAC + amp combo. The nice part is that I can use my laptop to stream FLAC files. That's important, as it allows me to go to a more quiet listening environment (change rooms).

(To be clear, I've been a Head-Fi member for quite a while, but wasn't happy when they went to the new format and stayed away. I'm getting used to it, but it's tough to wade through all the marketing. As long as there is good info here, I'll stick around.)

I think you'll be very pleased with your purchase :D 

Dec 27, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #2,425 of 6,388
Quote:

Welcome back.  You made a nice-sized purchase.  In regards to the Web site, I can understand your frustration.  The site is much more pleasant when used via my Iconia tablet, Google Chrome and the Android OS.  "Advertisement-free" is a good thing.  However, I will support the site by clicking on the links to pass through to the vendors so they can realize where the referral came from.

Enjoy!

Dec 27, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #2,427 of 6,388
Quote:
Quote:
Hm. I'm really hoping for an amp out there that can drive these on the go. Maybe PA2V or whatever it's called?

The MK3 or the SR-71 will drive them if it's in your budget. I also have the iBasso PB2 and it drove them very well.

I took a second look through the Holiday Buyers Guide and I don'tknow how, but the XM5 (as opposed to the flagship XM6) slipped under my radar and on paper it looks to be a pretty decent pair with MD
Searching it up on Head-fi, it's only listed as three people owning it, and there's few reviews.

Has anyone had any experience with XM5/MD pairing? I can only assume with a +10dB gain switch as well as a 75ohm load switch it seems like it'll have lots of driving force for MD, but I'm new to amping (and power hungry cans in general) so excuse my ignorance.

I checked out the MK3 and SR-71, and the PB2, but none of them have features that I'd like and two of which are twice the price of my cans, so way out of budget.

Dec 27, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #2,428 of 6,388
Quote:

I took a second look through the Holiday Buyers Guide and I don'tknow how, but the XM5 (as opposed to the flagship XM6) slipped under my radar and on paper it looks to be a pretty decent pair with MD
Searching it up on Head-fi, it's only listed as three people owning it, and there's few reviews.

Has anyone had any experience with XM5/MD pairing? I can only assume with a +10dB gain switch as well as a 75ohm load switch it seems like it'll have lots of driving force for MD, but I'm new to amping (and power hungry cans in general) so excuse my ignorance.

I checked out the MK3 and SR-71, and the PB2, but none of them have features that I'd like and two of which are twice the price of my cans, so way out of budget.

I wish I had the dough for the MK3 :frowning2:

Dec 27, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #2,429 of 6,388
I'm planning to go to a local headphone store who carries Mad Dog this afternoon if the weather is friendly. There were floods in several areas in Jakarta, so traffic is kinda hell in the last couple of days. They also have a Shure pads MD (not for sale though). I'm hoping to be able to demo some portable amps there with the MD, including the MK3-B, the new Portaphile, and the Apex Glacier. I'll share the impressions here.

Dec 27, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #2,430 of 6,388
Quote:

Visually, I actually like the current format. All the advertising and stuff is kept discretely off to the side and out of the way (in a separate forum and on the side of the page, with the notable exception of a few recent background ads), and the actual Huddler forum design is phenomenal and thorough for a forum.

To each his own, though. I understand your criticism.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back