"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Dec 30, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #2,461 of 6,388
Quote:
popcorn.gif

I'm interested to hear your opinions on the MDs vs the HE-500s :)

From what I can remember using the Lyr -> MDs/HE-500s/LCD-2s 

The soundstage of the HE500s vs the MD's was bigger (obviously), IMO the HE500s are way way brighter than the Mad Dogs and the LCD-2's. When I bought the HE-500s I would looking for a slightly slightly teeny weeny bit brighter LCD-2 sound. The sound of the MD's in my opinion is much more smooth and the precision is just so tight and on point when compare to the HE500s. I had the LCD-2's first then the MD's then the HE-500s so when I say that the HE-500s seemed more sterile than the LCD-2's/MD's that may be because I was going from the LCD-2's but the HE500s just seemed sterile and like an ortho DT880s. I still enjoyed the HE500s but couldn't imagine using them without tubes, I just think that they would seem even more sterile and dry.

The MD's on the other hands and in summary were just very smooth and the precision and control of the bass is excellent, they were also never too bright.

IMO

Dec 30, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #2,463 of 6,388
Quote:
From what I can remember using the Lyr -> MDs/HE-500s/LCD-2s 

The soundstage of the HE500s vs the MD's was bigger (obviously), IMO the HE500s are way way brighter than the Mad Dogs and the LCD-2's. When I bought the HE-500s I would looking for a slightly slightly teeny weeny bit brighter LCD-2 sound. The sound of the MD's in my opinion is much more smooth and the precision is just so tight and on point when compare to the HE500s. I had the LCD-2's first then the MD's then the HE-500s so when I say that the HE-500s seemed more sterile than the LCD-2's/MD's that may be because I was going from the LCD-2's but the HE500s just seemed sterile and like an ortho DT880s. I still enjoyed the HE500s but couldn't imagine using them without tubes, I just think that they would seem even more sterile and dry.

The MD's on the other hands and in summary were just very smooth and the precision and control of the bass is excellent, they were also never too bright.

IMO

Hmm, so did you end up preferring the LCD-2 or the MDs?

Dec 30, 2012 at 8:13 AM Post #2,465 of 6,388
^^ That's quite a complement for the MD's. I auditioned the lcd2r2 for about two weeks so my time with them was limited. Admittedly it's quite possibly my favorite all time signature and if it wasn't for the weight I'd be wearing them now. As much as I enjoy the MD's, I'd still pick the lcd overlooking weight and price. 

Dec 30, 2012 at 8:14 AM Post #2,466 of 6,388
Dec 30, 2012 at 8:23 AM Post #2,468 of 6,388
Quote:
^^ Would both you mind sharing a bit on why you'd choose the MD. Color me curious. 

Well, I've already stated this before. My main reason is comfort/isolation and the overall enjoyment factor.

And again, I seem to be the minority that feels the MD is on par with the LCD-2.

Dec 30, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #2,469 of 6,388
Hmm, that's interesting! I hope to someday be able to hear the LCD-2 so that I can make my own verdict on its SQ compared to the MD

Dec 30, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #2,470 of 6,388
Just got a pair of the Mr. Speakers T50s. Initial impressions are very good. I don't have much time to do any extended listening until after the New Year, but first listen this afternoon is quite positive. Ordered from Musica Acoustics. 

Dec 30, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #2,471 of 6,388
On an interesting note, I may have become to first person to ask Dan if his headphones could cause an allergic reaction a few days ago...

I've been feeling so sick recently I haven't even been able to enjoy audio because at any given point one ear is deaf, and it all started the day I got the MDs. It's almost entirely surely something else causing it, but I annoyed the hell out of Dan a few days ago and asked about custom materials just to be sure
o2smile.gif

Dec 30, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #2,472 of 6,388
Hey Bama...my home state!! Have you used hp's before that were as closed as these. I have inner ear issues and I have to be careful with closed hp's and too much volume. I'll get dizzy to the point I feel sick. What kind of reaction did you have?

Dec 30, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #2,473 of 6,388
Quote:
Well, I've already stated this before. My main reason is comfort/isolation and the overall enjoyment factor.

And again, I seem to be the minority that feels the MD is on par with the LCD-2.

I'll admit I'm in your boat. On two main issues that matter to me, I think the MD win:

1. Soundstage - I never liked the LCD-2. Back when, I had a pair of old old Hifiman HE-4 and LCD-2, and I would listen to the HE-4 and just relax while listening to Jazz. I never understood the FOTY for Audeze because of this issue. the SS was just so compressed. The Mad Dogs are impressive (not as impressive as an open pair) in terms of their sound stage. I really like this aspect for a closed headphone.
2. Comfort - The weight is a little high, but other than that 6-7 hours straight, no problems for me. 

Dec 30, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #2,474 of 6,388
Hi. 
Well, Sorry, I've been off headfi for somewhile now. Of course, I've got excuses (!):

a) The new place I moved into has no wifi access (British telecom are thieves. There's a problem with the wiring from outside and as in england BT somehow have a strangle hold over the telephone infrastructure and I've got to pay them hundreds to fix it. Hey, even after paying up, they still can't be bothered to do a proper job. Free riders.)

b) Vodaphone 3G sucks in central london

c) Headfi.org screen don't look that good at my new place of work. You know nosey co-workers......joke...there a really nice bunch of people. Really nice :)

Anyway....
So with these fostex headphones. I haven't actually had much time with them to be honest. I ordered them on the 3rd of november and they arrived comfortably within two weeks. Oh yea, I promised i'll offer a breakdown of the charges charged at customs, or to put it in simpler terms, the extra someone ordering from the uk would pay on such an item. Here were mine:

Customs duty: £0
Excise Duty: £0
Import VAT: £36.62
Clearance Fee: £13.50

TOTAL: £50.12

This was what it said on the parcel force invoice I automatically received. Standard procedure. No complaints.

It's really weird that I haven't given these a good listen to yet. They've been through a long burn in and all that, but I guess I haven't been much at my normal home listening environment so I haven't decided to adapt. That'll change soon though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back