"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Jan 2, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #2,491 of 6,388
Quote:
Good isolation is a big factor in my decision, so I might have to eliminate the D7000 based on that.

Would you say these have more low end than the HD-600?

The MD more low end than the hd600? Oh yes. More low end than the hd650...yes also. 

Jan 2, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #2,492 of 6,388
Quote:

The MD more low end than the hd600? Oh yes. More low end than the hd650...yes also. 

Are you saying that the MDs have more bass than the HD650s?

Jan 2, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #2,493 of 6,388
Well that is certainly nice to hear. I'm selling my modded 580s to put towards Mad Dogs, because I need a closed can. Looks like I may pull the trigger. 

Jan 2, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #2,495 of 6,388
To my ears, the MD comes away on top in terms of bass against the 650. It goes a little lower and with more visceral impact. At least with the dogpadz version. 

Jan 2, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #2,499 of 6,388
Quote:
To my ears, the MD comes away on top in terms of bass against the 650. It goes a little lower and with more visceral impact. At least with the dogpadz version. 

Well, I sold my HD650 because they had too much bass (mostly mid-bass)...and I'm currently deciding if I should keep my MDs because I feel they lack a little bit of bass (for my tastes).

I can agree that the MD bass is better, cleaner, more transparent.  It is not, IMO, a bassy headphone, while the HD650 are known for their impactful bass.  

I guess it all depends on ones idea of what good bass is all about.  I love the bass of the GR07 and the DT1350.    I do prefer the bass of the MDs when compared with the HD650...a little more bass and they would be perfect (for me, at least).  I'm finding that a little bass boost makes them much more enjoyable; I might end up keeping them in the end.

Jan 2, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #2,500 of 6,388
Quote:

The Qs are more detailed and resolving.  Depending on the amp the treble can sound a tad bit harsh (need a good amp).  

The MDs has more bass better mids - treble is smooth 

I'd listen to the maddogs all day over the Q's. Never fatiguing and very smooth and balanced. Like preproman says, it's really hard to do much better unless you're looking to spend nearly four figures. 

Jan 3, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #2,501 of 6,388
Well, I sold my HD650 because they had too much bass (mostly mid-bass)...and I'm currently deciding if I should keep my MDs because I feel they lack a little bit of bass (for my tastes).

I can agree that the MD bass is better, cleaner, more transparent.  It is not, IMO, a bassy headphone, while the HD650 are known for their impactful bass.  

I guess it all depends on ones idea of what good bass is all about.  I love the bass of the GR07 and the DT1350.    I do prefer the bass of the MDs when compared with the HD650...a little more bass and they would be perfect (for me, at least).  I'm finding that a little bass boost makes them much more enjoyable; I might end up keeping them in the end.

I also liked the DT1350 bass. I liked that headphone a lot. I like the Mad Dogs better. Part of it is sound signature, but both cans have their strengths, so not a slam dunk there, just preferable for my tastes. Throw comfort into the mix, and the MD be ones the better choice for me. They are not the small portable can the DT1350 is, though.

Jan 3, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #2,503 of 6,388
Quote:
Order placed
smily_headphones1.gif
Can't wait to finally have a good pair of closed cans. I've used nothing but open backs for years...

Nice.
I do have to say though that it takes a bit of time for your ears to get used to the Mad Dogs "sound"... I mean, I still have to "adjust" when I go between my Sig Pros and the Mad Dogs lol. But in the end, I believe you will enjoy them. Since you had the HD580s (and the HD600s are similar to those), I don't think you will lose anything in the transition. I have the HD600s and I enjoy them immensively but still prefer the MDs by just a hair.

Enjoy.

Jan 3, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #2,504 of 6,388
Hi,
I have been looking for a comfortable closed back headphones,  with great isolation, minimum leakage, and quite neutral.
Based on what I have read here, it looks like the Mad Dogs fills the bill.
Nevertheless, as I would be using the MD with an iphone/ipad, these might not provide enough juice to drive the MDs.
I wonder if the Ibasso Mamba D4 amp I have lying around would be a good match for them. have any of you guys try that combo?
thanks, Jose

Jan 3, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #2,505 of 6,388
Quote:
Hi,
I have been looking for a comfortable closed back headphones,  with great isolation, minimum leakage, and quite neutral.
Based on what I have read here, it looks like the Mad Dogs fills the bill.
Nevertheless, as I would be using the MD with an iphone/ipad, these might not provide enough juice to drive the MDs.
I wonder if the Ibasso Mamba D4 amp I have lying around would be a good match for them. have any of you guys try that combo?
thanks, Jose

I found the iPhone 4 drove the MDs to a usable volume (along with their decent isolation) for use on the subway and in other fairly noisy environments. They certainly aren't being driven to the best of their capabilities straight out of the iPhone however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back