"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Dec 14, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #2,222 of 6,388
Quote:
What about the properties of ultrasound pulses and superluminal speeds.  FTL!

"it has been shown experimentally that the group velocity of a laser pulse can exceed the speed of light in vacuum -- 300,000,000 metres per second"
http://www.livescience.com/1212-sound-pulses-exceed-speed-light.html

This sounds fake, to say the least.

Anyway, there was quite e ruckus sometime ago with superluminal neutrinos, but, as expected
very_evil_smiley.gif
it turned out it was just a cable that was wrongly inserted.....

I don't belive in FTL comunication or matter transport, simply it would be too bizare for any of today's standarts, tachyons are far too strange beasts.

Dec 14, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #2,224 of 6,388
Quote:

This sounds fake, to say the least.

Anyway, there was quite e ruckus sometime ago with superluminal neutrinos, but, as expected
very_evil_smiley.gif
it turned out it was just a cable that was wrongly inserted.....

I don't belive in FTL comunication or matter transport, simply it would be too bizare for any of today's standarts, tachyons are far too strange beasts.

But if you put the cable in backwards, you might start travelling through time... 

Dec 14, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #2,226 of 6,388
Quote:
Hah, you guys are giving me some good ideas...photonics definitely feels like weird voodoo magic sometimes. That's why everyone in our program is doing electrical and only 3 of us were brave enough to work on lasers...

I understand what you are saying.

I'm a bit use to since I know lots of people that work with quantum optics and photonics, some of them are close friends.

I also know people from particle physics/field theory and string theory, so I know there are much more smoked things than photonics. (people can't be normal to think that our world live in the boundry of a 5 dimensional inverted sphere, embeded in a 11 dimensional space with a epic black-hole in the middle of it). At least to those people don't have a 5W CO2 laser cut through someone "accidentaly"
wink.gif

Another thing that you could do it surface analysis and treatment with lasers for quality control, it's more manageble than my former idea I belive.

Dec 14, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #2,227 of 6,388
Dec 14, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #2,228 of 6,388
I work on PC's for a living. That's a pretty far fetched hypothesis tbh. Maybe you do need to replace the graphics card though.

I build and tweak gaming rigs for fun, did my undergrad in computer science, and am getting my masters in information systems. While I'm not sure his hypothesis was entirely correct, it certainly isn't far fetched at all. It certainly has something to with the video card, but it doesn't sound like it needs replaced. I know my friends reported an increase in noise from my mic whenever I played video games with them, though this was through my dedicated sound card's mic-in, not a USB DAC/amp.

I mean, considering some people have video cards drawing 100-150+ watts that put out insane amounts of heat, I could imagine any sort of stress on a video card could cause oddities in a system. Sounds more likely that his motherboard is the problem, though it certainly would be easier to swap out the GPU and test that.

Dec 14, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #2,229 of 6,388
Quote:
I build and tweak gaming rigs for fun, did my undergrad in computer science, and am getting my masters in information systems. While I'm not sure his hypothesis was entirely correct, it certainly isn't far fetched at all. It certainly has something to with the video card, but it doesn't sound like it needs replaced. I know my friends reported an increase in noise from my mic whenever I played video games with them, though this was through my dedicated sound card's mic-in, not a USB DAC/amp.
I mean, considering some people have video cards drawing 100-150+ watts that put out insane amounts of heat, I could imagine any sort of stress on a video card could cause oddities in a system. Sounds more likely that his motherboard is the problem, though it certainly would be easier to swap out the GPU and test that.

I know for a fact it's the video card, because disabling it from the Device Manager solves the problem too. But of course that leaves me with a pitiful 800x600 res. I narrowed it down to just disabling aero so i can still use my laptop's full resolution, audio is stutter free then too. Ideally I'd like to have Aero on because the screen tearing is kind of an eye sore and the classic windows theme is kinda crappy lol But im out of ideas, this is a laptop after all so not much can be done hardware wise.

Originally I had thought that disabling the gpu helped with usb power supply because perhaps the usb bus shared resources with the GPU, but this is me pretending to know what Im talking about haha

Dec 14, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #2,230 of 6,388
Quote:

I know for a fact it's the video card, because disabling it from the Device Manager solves the problem too. But of course that leaves me with a pitiful 800x600 res. I narrowed it down to just disabling aero so i can still use my laptop's full resolution, audio is stutter free then too. Ideally I'd like to have Aero on because the screen tearing is kind of an eye sore and the classic windows theme is kinda crappy lol But im out of ideas, this is a laptop after all so not much can be done hardware wise.

Originally I had thought that disabling the gpu helped with usb power supply because perhaps the usb bus shared resources with the GPU, but this is me pretending to know what Im talking about haha

Time to install Ubuntu on the laptop and use the dual boot solution.  Yet, if the BIOS is of the newer "fast boot" flavor, getting a dual OS can be a bit trickier as then you have to start manipulating files at the MBR level on the disk.

Best of luck to you.

Dec 14, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #2,231 of 6,388
Oh yeah, I read about quantum physics in my spare time (don't ask why haha) and when you're getting into stuff like M theory...yeah, then Photonics doesn't seem so bad after all haha. But good luck to you, seems like you actually know what you're doing, I'm not so sure if I'm prepared to graduate...

Dec 14, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #2,232 of 6,388
Quote:

Time to install Ubuntu on the laptop and use the dual boot solution.  Yet, if the BIOS is of the newer "fast boot" flavor, getting a dual OS can be a bit trickier as then you have to start manipulating files at the MBR level on the disk.

Best of luck to you.

I've installed Ubuntu and Linux Mint in the past on this laptop using dual boot just to play around, so there shouldn't be a problem with that. But yeah thank you for the suggestion, I will actually try it tomorrow or Sunday.

Dec 14, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #2,233 of 6,388
Quote:
Hah, you guys are giving me some good ideas...photonics definitely feels like weird voodoo magic sometimes. That's why everyone in our program is doing electrical and only 3 of us were brave enough to work on lasers...

Using laser interferometry to look for driver resonances and breakup modalities has been done for quite a while, there's probably quite a body of literature on how to setup a rig.  The challenge to measure an ortho driver is that the surface is not exposed in the same way a dynamic driver or loudspeaker drivers would be.  Interesting thought, though.  If you want to do something serious around this let me know and I can get a driver for you.  I do foresee actually measuring the driver to be quite a challenge, but maybe interesting.  PM me if you want to discuss further...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 14, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #2,234 of 6,388
Using laser interferometry to look for driver resonances and breakup modalities has been done for quite a while, there's probably quite a body of literature on how to setup a rig.  The challenge to measure an ortho driver is that the surface is not exposed in the same way a dynamic driver or loudspeaker drivers would be.  Interesting thought, though.  If you want to do something serious around this let me know and I can get a driver for you.  I do foresee actually measuring the driver to be quite a challenge, but maybe interesting.  PM me if you want to discuss further...

That sounds like it could be a lot of fun. We were just going to do a project to hack wireless car door openers lol, but that was a joke of course. Always wanted to find a way to work on headphones through optics, looks like I've found one. Gonna start researching over break and see what I come up with, but thank you for offering to help me, thats awesome of you. Definitely gonna order my Mad Dogs this week then!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back