"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Dec 13, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #2,191 of 6,388
Quote:
mad.gif

I use the ODAC/O2 with the MD and have never heard them better. In this hobby we will always be surprised and want the "NEW AND FABULOUS SO CHEAP GO BUY NOW" amp or dac. The ODAC/O2 is more than enough to drive orthos (I also use the HE500 with the combo).

So unless you want to:
-Drive HE-6
-Want to pay more to have better aesthetics (looks)
-Want other options  (inputs, preamp etc...)

...the ODAC/O2 will be more than enough.

Think about it, no one have heard this yet, and already you want this over the ODAC/O2? Don't let the hype get to you, calm down and enjoy one of the best sounds for the price combo there is:

Mad Dog driven by ODAC/O2.

Disclaimer: This is all of course IMHO. I am sure the new schiit gear will sound fantastic, but don't jump on the hypetrain before knowing where you are and where it will take you.

Dec 13, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #2,192 of 6,388
Though the O2/ODAC are a hype train of their own.

/devil's advocate

Dec 13, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #2,193 of 6,388
^^ You do make a valid point. No one has heard or even reviewed this new product yet. We are going on the historical products that Schitt has offered which are some of the best out there for the money. Then they throw in this seductive little stack at $200 and it's very hard to resist. 

If they product is as good as it looks, it'll put high setups in the hands of many people who would normally not be able to afford or even want to. I can even see myself gifting this to my dad for Christmas. He has shown an interest in getting into to head-fi and this would be the perfect solution for him. 

Dec 13, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #2,194 of 6,388
Quote:
I use the ODAC/O2 with the MD and have never heard them better. In this hobby we will always be surprised and want the "NEW AND FABULOUS SO CHEAP GO BUY NOW" amp or dac. The ODAC/O2 is more than enough to drive orthos (I also use the HE500 with the combo).

So unless you want to:
-Drive HE-6
-Want to pay more to have better aesthetics (looks)
-Want other options  (inputs, preamp etc...)

...the ODAC/O2 will be more than enough.

I sure hope you're not implying the O2/ODAC is the be all combo for either MD or HE-500.
While the O2/ODAC combo do represent a good value, it does get much better as you scale up the ladder.

The Schiit mini stack offer competition and that's always a good thing. 

All things being subjective (unless you find the O2/ODAC design pretty)
you'd actually be paying less for better aesthetics.

Dec 13, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #2,195 of 6,388

Disclaimer: This is all of course IMHO. I am sure the new schiit gear will sound fantastic, but don't jump on the hypetrain before knowing where you are and where it will take you.
[/quote]

Choo chooooooo!!!!!!!!

Dec 13, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #2,198 of 6,388
Quote:
All is speculation but I don't have any doubt of the performance this new schiit product will bring.

That fine iBasso PB2+DB2 setup you parted with and I happily got sure does well with them, and this single ended.  From here to the same setup balanced, then to the Centrance HIFI-M8.  From there, who knows, though I will likely stay with (trans)portable solutions, just because my rig(s) live in a big messenger bag most of the time.  For the record, gain was set on high (+10) and now is set on low (+0).  This just allows more volume swing.  Those that ear bleed on a regular basis would want to go wit the +6 or +10 setting, I guess.  That said, I've been curious about the Odac/O2, because of the hype train. This new Schiit gear is interesting, though I just struggle with telling anyone who asks - "what's that?"oh, it's just a piece of Schiit... 

Dec 13, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #2,199 of 6,388
I'm not really expecting the Schiit to sound better, but I've always wanted Schiit gear
tongue.gif

Dec 13, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #2,200 of 6,388
Quote:
I'm not really expecting the Schiit to sound better, but I've always wanted Schiit gear
tongue.gif

What?  So, now you're saying that the Schiit gear might sound like crap? 
eek.gif

I think paired with the T50 Mad Dogs, with the Dog Padz, it might be an extremely well-paired combo - being that the builders have acknolwedged that the amp was also designed for the Ortho crowd of headphones.  As to their DAC offering, I know for me, personally, I really have a nod towards the HRT Music Streamer II (not the "+" model.)  You can often find the Music Streamer II in the $130 range as a used item.  This is a very good, top quality piece and I kick myself ever since the day I sold it.

This weekend, I'll be attending a local headphone meet.  Needless to say, there is supposed to be a pair of Mad Dogs with the Dog Padz attending.  So, I'm quite excited.

Dec 13, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #2,201 of 6,388
Quote:
That fine iBasso PB2+DB2 setup you parted with and I happily got sure does well with them, and this single ended.  From here to the same setup balanced, then to the Centrance HIFI-M8.  From there, who knows, though I will likely stay with (trans)portable solutions, just because my rig(s) live in a big messenger bag most of the time.  For the record, gain was set on high (+10) and now is set on low (+0).  This just allows more volume swing.  Those that ear bleed on a regular basis would want to go wit the +6 or +10 setting, I guess.  That said, I've been curious about the Odac/O2, because of the hype train. This new Schiit gear is interesting, though I just struggle with telling anyone who asks - "what's that?"oh, it's just a piece of Schiit... 

Glad you like it, it was stellar with the Mad Dogs. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 13, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #2,202 of 6,388
Quote:

What?  So, now you're saying that the Schiit gear might sound like crap? 
eek.gif

I think paired with the T50 Mad Dogs, with the Dog Padz, it might be an extremely well-paired combo - being that the builders have acknolwedged that the amp was also designed for the Ortho crowd of headphones.  As to their DAC offering, I know for me, personally, I really have a nod towards the HRT Music Streamer II (not the "+" model.)  You can often find the Music Streamer II in the $130 range as a used item.  This is a very good, top quality piece and I kick myself ever since the day I sold it.

This weekend, I'll be attending a local headphone meet.  Needless to say, there is supposed to be a pair of Mad Dogs with the Dog Padz attending.  So, I'm quite excited.

How did you get, "...now you're saying that the Schiit gear might sound like crap?" I was saying that I don't expect the Schiit Mangi and Modi to sound better than the O2 and ODAC. Thats what our recent discussion in this thread has been
rolleyes.gif

Dec 13, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #2,205 of 6,388
Quote:
Hey folks looking for high power low cost amps, here's a hot off the press option....  

Schiit just announced a budget USB-only DAC and a new amp, the amp has 1.2Watts, they're each $99.  Sounds like another great entry-level option.  

http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=13

http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=14

Great. Owned the E09K and E17 for 3 months and now this.

Goodbye money. I never needed you anyway.

I'm going on vacation next week for 3 weeks so I won't get the stack in before then, but once I get back i'll post my impressions and compare the MAGNI/MODI to the E09K/E17. Should be waiting for me when I get back. I look forward to using the cheap stack of Schiit exclusively at work with the MD's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back