"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Dec 13, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #2,206 of 6,388
Quote:
Time changes everything.  Perhaps, they would like to hire me to do their advertising?

'

Sorry, Dan.  I couldn't resist.
wink.gif

Sometimes I ask myself what they are going to do when they run out of names from the norse mitology. Are they going to choose some other mitology to loot?

Dec 13, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #2,207 of 6,388
Sometimes I ask myself what they are going to do when they run out of names from the norse mitology. Are they going to choose some other mitology to loot?

As someone who loves Norse mythology...trust me, they won't run out. Hell, they could stick to just doing like frost giants and have plenty of names. Personally, I'd like to see Huginn and Muninn be the next two...great Odin's ravens!

Dec 13, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #2,208 of 6,388
Quote:
Quote:

As someone who loves Norse mythology...trust me, they won't run out. Hell, they could stick to just doing like frost giants and have plenty of names. Personally, I'd like to see Huginn and Muninn be the next two...great Odin's ravens!

Hahaha My thoughts exactly. I wonder how many people know it's THOR'S Day today, and tomorrow's Freya's Day?

Dec 13, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #2,210 of 6,388
Sleipnir would be quite the powerful unit me thinks (in speculation). I mean, Odin's eight legged horse HAS to be a power house. 

As a day dreamer, I imagine it to be a ss amp/DAC/Preamp that can output 8w of power

Dec 13, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #2,212 of 6,388
Unfortunately I am not smart enough to get a BS, I'm getting my bachelors in laser and photonics tech. Wish I could somehow incorporate headphones into my senior design project but cant really think of anything optics related...

Dec 13, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #2,213 of 6,388
Quote:
Unfortunately I am not smart enough to get a BS, I'm getting my bachelors in laser and photonics tech. Wish I could somehow incorporate headphones into my senior design project but cant really think of anything optics related...

how about implementation in digital audio? then you can use the MD in your prototype rig. i don't know, i like imagining things.

Dec 13, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #2,214 of 6,388
Yeah, i thought about optical outputs and digital to analog conversion...I mean, we have to come up with something by April or so. Otherwise we just have to ask Lockheed for a project that is probably way above my knowledge level haha.

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #2,215 of 6,388
Quote:
Yeah, i thought about optical outputs and digital to analog conversion...I mean, we have to come up with something by April or so. Otherwise we just have to ask Lockheed for a project that is probably way above my knowledge level haha.

Nice!!

I'm a physics MSc. Student myself, so I understand well your situation. Right now i'm trying to decide on my dissertation theme, probaly something related to hydrodynamics.

Just a random sugestion, what about an optical measurements on headphones?
The first thing that comes to my mind when I think about optics is "PRECISION"(frequenc comb,.... and other laser jockey's toys.....). Hell, all the most precise measurements in the world are somehow related to optics (ok, quantum hall effect isn't, but that's an exception). I belive if you could try to do something like a realtime optical distance mapping, you could possibily watch up close the movements of a driver, probably in a way that it would be easy to a computer to read and to feed some FEM software or the like. That would be one nice kind of information for headphone and speaker development.

Ok, over with the wishfull thinking. Good luck with your project.

(the next thing that come into my mind about optics are: "voodoo", "how the hell do this guys manage to do that???", "that's REALY impressive")

Dec 14, 2012 at 3:55 AM Post #2,216 of 6,388
What about the properties of ultrasound pulses and superluminal speeds.  FTL!

"it has been shown experimentally that the group velocity of a laser pulse can exceed the speed of light in vacuum -- 300,000,000 metres per second"
http://www.livescience.com/1212-sound-pulses-exceed-speed-light.html

Dec 14, 2012 at 5:48 AM Post #2,217 of 6,388
Quote:
I have an odac that developed jitter just a few months ago. Had to go out and drop some cash on the bifrost. Now, no jitter. I'll take my chances with Schitt. 

A Dac can't just 'develop' jitter (considering no hardware damage occurred). If it started out fine for you, then something within the odac burnt out or software on your computer was to blame.

I received my ODAC about 3 weeks ago, and I had a serious clicking and popping sound which really annoyed me. I had the same problem with my old E17 too. Long story short, after many hours of troubleshooting, I discovered my graphics card was to blame. Simply switching off the Windows Aero theme fixed the problem. By doing this, there is no full screen V-sync on the desktop, no fancy animations, and no translucent borders. The only explanation I have is that by switching off the theme the graphics card is put under less strain, thus giving a better stream of power to the usb port.

Dec 14, 2012 at 7:11 AM Post #2,219 of 6,388
Hmm at the time I thought it made sense, but then again I don't work with PCs for a living :)

Im using a laptop though so I can't replace it. I tried the next best step which was to try different driver versions but it occurs with all I tried. Anyway Im fine with no aero, sound is my priority.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back