"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Dec 15, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #2,251 of 6,388
^^ just send Dan the money and they're yours!! 
biggrin.gif
 Easy peasy. 

Dec 16, 2012 at 8:42 AM Post #2,252 of 6,388
Edit...

I just installed the new replacement pads that Dan sent me a few days ago. What a royal PITA that was. For the life of me, I could not get these things to go on at all. I would get about a third of the way around and it would just pop right back off again.

After about 30 minutes of this nonsense and getting pissed off. I decided to put the headphones down, grab a pad, and pull on it with both hands to sort of stretch them out a tiny bit. Then I found a nice, heavy duty chop stick (unused of course) in the kitchen. I picked the cans back up, got the pad back on a third of the way by hand, then gently started to pry the chop stick in the sleeve of the pad and stretch it over the rim of the cans and slowly work my way around until the whole darn thing was finally on.

Now that I have a little bit of a technique to it, the second ear pad went on within a minute or so. Go figure... Manischewitz!

Dec 16, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #2,253 of 6,388
Quote:
Edit...

I just installed the new replacement pads that Dan sent me a few days ago. What a royal PITA that was. For the life of me, I could not get these things to go on at all. I would get about a third of the way around and it would just pop right back off again.

After about 30 minutes of this nonsense and getting pissed off. I decided to put the headphones down, grab a pad, and pull on it with both hands to sort of stretch them out a tiny bit. Then I found a nice, heavy duty chop stick (unused of course) in the kitchen. I picked the cans back up, got the pad back on a third of the way by hand, then gently started to pry the chop stick in the sleeve of the pad and stretch it over the rim of the cans and slowly work my way around until the whole darn thing was finally on.

Now that I have a little bit of a technique to it, the second ear pad went on within a minute or so. Go figure... Manischewitz!

Was this the dog pads?

Dec 16, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #2,255 of 6,388
Quote:
Was this the dog pads?

Yes sir. When I ordered my Mad Dog's, I got the full blown version with the pads and strap. However, when I received them, I noticed that the left pad had a small tear in it along the threads. Actually, it's not a tear. It looks like that the threads just missed about 5mm worth of the leather.

Dec 16, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #2,257 of 6,388
Quote:
i guess these would sound meh unamped... i have a meh amp, that wouldn't serve these justice would it? anyone recommend some CHEAP amps for these please

Schiit Magni or a O2. Then when you get some more money get a Schiit Modi or a ODAC.

Dec 16, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #2,258 of 6,388
Quote:
i guess these would sound meh unamped... i have a meh amp, that wouldn't serve these justice would it? anyone recommend some CHEAP amps for these please

It wouldn't hurt to mention what meh amp you currently have. 
wink_face.gif

Dec 16, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #2,259 of 6,388
In regards to the Dog Padz, I did have a chance to see and hear one of the latest iterations of the Mad Dogs.  First, let me offer my compliments to Dan for producing a nice pair of Fostex headphones with great comfort and a reasonable sound modification of the Fostex over the stock version.  I'm always interested in the pads, so my attention was applied to the Dog Padz on the particular Mad Dogs at the time. To me, the pads appeared - from an attaching standpoint, to be awfully similar to the likes of the Shure 840s.  Please keep in mind, I'm only making a single comparison between the two when it come to attaching the pads.  That is where the similarities end.  I believe that if one were to following one of the tried-and-true methods of installing the Shure 840 pads, then the Dog Padz would be able to be installed in a very similar manner.  The method would be to flip the lip of the pad down, so that it folds down on the outside edges of the pad.  Then, lay the pad surface into place on the ear side of the baffle.  Now, slowly, flip up the lip of the pad onto the cup of the headphone while keeping a finger or two back on the are where the edge had been previously flipped up and over.  If one does it with this method, they would remain in control of the pad mounting operation by ensuring the the previous section of the pad that you had flipped, would not jump off the cup before you get the rest of the pad up and in position on the cup.  I don't believe that with the Dog Padz, one would have to resort to stretching the right of the pad in any way in order to get it fastened. In this case, I'd be awfully cautious at stretching the ring of the pad in order to install it.  After all, Dan had the padz custom made for his variant of the Fostex headphones.

OK. Now for a small explanation of the Dog Padz. Again, the only similarity between the Dog Padz and the Shure 840 pads, is the manner of how they are mounted.  I wanted to ensure what I said, would not be taken out of context and implied in any other manner.  The Dog Padz themselves are very well constructed and offer the perfect fit.  Along with the perfect fit come perfect, or near-perfect comfort when wearing the headphones.  The materials used are of a very top quality.  The padz do a great job of finishing off the Mad Dogz in a nice manner, that offers a degree of having a truly custom headphone.  With the Shure 840 pads, we have a pad that works well for a lot of people.  Yet, it has some limitations, too.  The 840 pads have the white strings / stitching that one has to deal with.  Either you leave them white, or use a Sharpie to touch them up, so the strings don't stand out by being white against the black pleather.   Then, the strings / stitching can be affected by use or uninstalling and reinstalling as the strings can easily start to shred apart.  The Dog Padz completely eliminates the string / stitching issues, and does it with class.

Dec 16, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #2,260 of 6,388
Quote:

Personally, I wouldn't let price dictate the decision.  There are many options - and a used amp should not be overlooked.  People often sell of their amps at some pretty good prices in the for sale section.

Dec 16, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #2,261 of 6,388
Hm, the proper way to put them on is essentially to pre-stretch the elastic "waist" the forms the innermost edge of the mounting gasket.  You are the first person I mailed pads to, and it didn't occur to me to pre-stretch them for you.  

I have made a quick video of stretching the pad to get it ready, it's on Youtube here.  

A video of putting the pad on the headphone is here.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 16, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #2,262 of 6,388
While certainly not cheap, I have not heard a better pairing than lyr for the maddogs. You can pick one up used for about $350 maybe better if you're lucky or willing to have a few cosmetic issues. I consider it a great investment as it drives my other hard to amp phones so well. 

Dec 16, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #2,263 of 6,388
Quote:
Hm, the proper way to put them on is essentially to pre-stretch the elastic "waist" the forms the innermost edge of the mounting gasket.  You are the first person I mailed pads to, and it didn't occur to me to pre-stretch them for you.  

I have made a quick video of stretching the pad to get it ready, it's on Youtube here.  

A video of putting the pad on the headphone is here.

Dan, it simply amazes me how quick you are to resolve any issues, questions, etc, etc. Whether it be as simple as replying to an email or even making and posting a couple of Youtube videos. You sir are top notch!

The way you demonstrated stretching the gasket is pretty much how I did it. As far as installing the pads on the headphones, it seems to me that you've done that a few times more than I have.
tongue.gif

Quote:
While certainly not cheap, I have not heard a better pairing than lyr for the maddogs. You can pick one up used for about $350 maybe better if you're lucky or willing to have a few cosmetic issues. I consider it a great investment as it drives my other hard to amp phones so well. 

You should try looking at some vintage receivers and integrated amps. There are quite a few members that have used all of the different Schiit amps as well as many other highly regarded amps, both tube and solid state, and most of them say that quality, well maintained vintage receivers and integrated amps do a better job. They offer up considerably more power (typically), more inputs, and the option of using the tone controls if you like.

I was planning on saving up for the Schiit Asgard or Lyr, but after reading hundreds of posts of how those vintage units perform, I decided to try my mint, recapped Sansui G-7000, and I'm glad I did. I don't use the tone controls at all, but I do appreciate the added inputs and the outright "balls" it has to driving the Mad Dogs. The best part is, I no longer need to spend more money on another amp!

Just a thought...

Dec 16, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #2,264 of 6,388
Quote:

Dan, it simply amazes me how quick you are to resolve any issues, questions, etc, etc. Whether it be as simple as replying to an email or even making and posting a couple of Youtube videos. You sir are top notch!

The way you demonstrated stretching the gasket is pretty much how I did it. As far as installing the pads on the headphones, it seems to me that you've done that a few times more than I have.
tongue.gif

You should try looking at some vintage receivers and integrated amps. There are quite a few members that have used all of the different Schiit amps as well as many other highly regarded amps, both tube and solid state, and most of them say that quality, well maintained vintage receivers and integrated amps do a better job. They offer up considerably more power (typically), more inputs, and the option of using the tone controls if you like.

I was planning on saving up for the Schiit Asgard or Lyr, but after reading hundreds of posts of how those vintage units perform, I decided to try my mint, recapped Sansui G-7000, and I'm glad I did. I don't use the tone controls at all, but I do appreciate the added inputs and the outright "balls" it has to driving the Mad Dogs. The best part is, I no longer need to spend more money on another amp!

Just a thought...

I certainly appreciate the alternative on vintage amps and have heard many here that I respect praise them for their ability to drive orthos to their full potential at a fraction of the cost of a dedicated hp amp. But...they are not for me. For one, I don't want to deal with the issue of potential repairs on failing components on a vintage amp. Yes, I know that you could have issues with any amp even my lyr, but I'll deal with the and sleep with the support of the warranty any day over a 30 year old receiver. 

The lyr just hits all the right check boxes for me. Each to his own and I'm not pushing it on anyone. All that I'm saying is that as someone who has owned a dozen dedicated hp amps the lyr does not disappoint on any level. Add tube rolling to the mix and there is potentially another layer (pun) added of fun and enjoyment on this brilliant amp. 

Dec 16, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #2,265 of 6,388
Quote:

tongue.gif

Thanks.... Yes, I have done more than a few.  :)

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back